Sergei - vomitting/no appetite - seeking ADVICE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sergei Waddell, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Good Morning!
    Our (now 15yr old) Ser was diagnosed diabetic in March of 2008. Upon diagnosis, his new vet prescribed one unit of insulin twice/day, but failed to mention using a glucose meter. A few short days later I nearly sent him hypo and sought the advise of this group. We ceased the insulin, changed his diet, bought a meter and began routine glucose checks. We also found a new vet... He has been off insulin ever since, and has been healthy and happy.
    The past week however, Ser has not been himself. He is not urinating excessively, he is somewhat constipated, and his evenings have been restless. He has not eaten in a few days, and began vomiting his water two nights ago. His glucose level normally varies from 55-105, but yesterday read 165. Yesterday we began noticing that his vomit was pink. Assuming it was blood I and fearing kidney failure, we rushed him to hospital. They suggested and performed blood work. He was slightly de-hydrated, and his glucose somewhat elevated, but otherwise they said everything is normal. They really could not offer much in terms of a diagnosis but did say that they would not consider him diabetic. They administered fluids (SQ), Pepcid, and another anti-nausea medication. They suggested that we schedule an ultra-sound if we do not notice a change in a few days.

He slept very good last night, and did not spit up....he also had nothing in his tummy. This morning he spat up just a tiny bit, and it was not pink. He is resting again now, but still has not eaten.

Any advice?

Keith & Ser

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Hi sorry no advice here but maybe you could put ADVICE in your subject line you will get notice quicker ok Hope Sergei get feeling better soon also some time if you force him to eat like put a bit on your finger and put it into his mouth he may try some.....or baby food Kath

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

My first thought with those symptoms is Pancreatitis. Wiki article here. Drs. Foster and Smith article here. jojo's post about chronic Pancreatitis.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Not eating - the vet said she worries when cats go 4 or 5 days w/out food. 1 or 2 days w/out water.

Pancreatitis - wouldn't the blood work suggest clues???

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The standard blood tests are not a good indicator of pancreatitis. The best blood test is a fPL test performed by Idexx labs:
    http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/s ... b=Benefits
    Idexx is one of the major labs used by many vets. If your vet does not use Idexx, the test can also be performed at Texas A&MU GI Lab.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

From the Drs. Foster and Smith article.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

definitely need to get your kitty eating -- it can turn critical very quickly

Another possibility to check for vomiting clear liquid - Hyperthyroid

9. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Thanks for the replies!

He took some water, and a very little bit of tuna. Hope he keeps it down.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Can you give him all the tuna juice from the can and mash up a tiny bit of the tuna in the juice.
    When mine have been sick, they can lap up stuff but don't want to eat solids.
    The pepcid should help I hope.

11. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

We tried the tuna trick... He ate, but vomited about 40min after. There was no sign of blood in the vomit this time.

No food after midnight tonight as we go for an ultrasound tomorrow.

12. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Has his urine been tested for ketones?

13. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

No, but again, our diabetic 'episode' lasted only a few short weeks and was in 2008. After changing our diet, the periodic glucose readings have never been higher than 105 until yesterday(165).
    Another reading two min ago - 99.
    And a step on the scale indicates that he has not lost weight either.... He has been holding steady at 16lbs for the past 3 years.

14. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Couldn't hurt to rule them out...

15. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Thanks, I'll ask the vet tomorrow.

16. housecats4

Sending Angels and tons of healing green light to help Sergie hope he feels better soon Kath

17. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

My cat Stinky had pancreatitis three months ago and his symptoms sound similar to yours. Lack of appetite, lots of throwing up, and lethargic... Had two weeks of antibiotics to which he responded well to - and all was great. Unfortunately today he was dx'd with diabetes but based on my pancreatitis experience, your doc should test for this asap. Good luck.

18. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Thanks for the information, concern,.....green light!

Ser hasn't vomited since about 2:30 yesterday afternoon. He slept well last night, and woke up hungry this morning. Although he is not supposed to eat for 12hrs prior to his ultrasound, he did eat perhaps a 1/4 tsp of his wellness canned food, and one or two kernels of his Anova, but at least his appetite seems to be returning. He has urinated only once in the last 15hrs, and has not had a BM in a few days....he is usually regular once/day - but again, he hasn't eaten much so perhaps this is why......
    We are headed to see Dr. Kari at noon.

19. housecats4

Hope all went well at vets today Kath

20. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Big Ser did great today. The ultrasound gave no indication of a blockage, tumor, or any signs of pancreatitis. He is slowly eating more and more, and still resting a lot. I'll keep you posted.

21. housecats4

Yeah!!! Sending more healing green light and Angels to deliver it Way to go Sergei Kath Hugssssssssssss to both

22. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Glad Sergei's feeling better.

23. Sergei Waddell

Sergei Waddell Member

Ser has been acting very much like himself for the last 24hrs. He is alert, playful, relaxed and enjoying his David Grisman Quintet music as usual, but still not interested in eating. He has had just one or two crunchies, and a few licks of his wet food. Although he is still at a healthy 15.5 lb, he has lost nearly half a pound. His glucose is slightly elevated - 112. No more vomiting.

24. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Good Morning,
    How is Sergei today? I've been thinking about him? Is he eating a little better? I'm praying for him. Please keep us posted.
    Taline

25. housecats4

Good Caturday Healing green light coming to Sergei for a feel good day ...Kath ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.