Settling into a dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by WendyG, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyG

WendyG Member

Do some cats just settle into a dose? Tyson seems to have settled into a 3.5 dose. When I up it, his numbers dropped, when I lowered it, they rose. He did just come off of a weird phase of not eating well, and a bad decision I made of dosing him when his amps was too low, so maybe he's just readjusting. I just remember reading that you don't want kitty to stay at the same dose for too long, or they will require more insulin. I'm worrying that I'm not doing him any favors

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You keep a dose as long as you see good nadir numbers. We say don’t let a kitty sit at a dose too long if numbers are too high. The 3.5 u dose seems fine right now. If you can do a curve on a day off this weekend that would be useful info.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris. Some kitties do settle in to the point where a dose can stop working for them...usually if they are at a dose that's not effective. But the ideal dose is a moving target here...it changes over time.

Djamila likes this.
  4. WendyG

WendyG Member

Thank you both. I really had a panic when I dosed him when his numbers were too low over last weekend, and I've been nervous since, seeing those couple bright green numbers. I still don't know why he was feeling bad leading up to that for a few days, but I guess we all have days when we don't feel well. He seems to be back on track eating and pottying. Settling into the 3.5 until his numbers rise it is then. Thanks again for the advise. I'll attempt a curve over this weekend.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.