Severe Bout of Colitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alice and Tabby, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

My civie Sebastian has been throwing up and starining and having diarreah all day. The vet checked him and his bowls and urine aren't backed up. Must be someting he ate or a bad furball. He told me to give him Pepto. I gave it to him and he seemed to get better for several hours. Now it's back with a vengence. We gave him his second dose of pepto and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I gave him Lactone incase it was a furball. NOw I am worried I may have made the diarreah worse. Not sure yet. My poor baby is so sick. He is allergic to seafood and tuna and I think he found an old tuna treat and ate it this morning. Any advice on colitis would be great. First my old girl Calvin with a lump and now this. HOw much more can we take. I need advice on this. I don't know what to do.

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Alice I'm sorry to hear he's having trouble. Don't give any more pepto ok? Cats can't tolerate too much of it, it is related to aspirin. As an FYI, it can turn the stool very dark as a side effect.

Hairball meds are laxatives so don't give more of that either. If this is due to his already-known allergy, you may just need to support him through it; make sure he doesn't get dehydrated, give pro-biotics (if he's not allergic to ingredients). You can ask your vet about metronidazole, an intestinal antibiotic that acts as an anti-inflammatory too.

I assume your cats don't go outside? If so you have to worry about parasites.

3. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Thanks Jess. And no they don't go outside. No more pepto or laxatone.We will just wait it out. I am up not and it doesn't look like he's puked or had diarreah all night. Worried when he wakes up he will start up again. He's allergic to fish and seafood and he may have found a few old tuna treats in a room he never goes in. I don't know how long this will last. I hope not long. My poor baby. He did eat some of his regular food yesterday. I will hope for the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.