? Shaak, AMPS 375, Feb. 9,2016 Possible UTI

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA), Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

@Gill & George I don't know what to do, Shaak is trying to pee and hardly anything is coming out, but what is is bright red, I have never seen urine this red before. I can't take her to the vet until I can call a friend at 8:00 in the morning and ask if he can lend me the money to go to vet, this seems very serious. I don't understand it, the funny thing about it is she just jumped on the bed and is laying here next to me on her towel and grooming herself and then her body makes a tiny squeak noise and she tries to pee again. I am scared. I am not taking my daughter to class this morning, I am not taking my son to school. I am begging my friend to help me, please dear Jesus, let him say yes. Please

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

This sounds like a UTI (urinary tract infection). It is not uncommon for a kitty to have some blood in their urine when they have a UTI. Shaak needs to be seen by a vet and will most likely needs some antibiotics. If you can catch a urine sample and refrigerate it until you see the vet that would be good. Otherwise they can obtain a sample by needle.

3. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

@Gill & George and anyone up and around, I have looked at the link you sent me and she has every single one of these things happening.

Lower Urinary Tract Clinical Signs

Patients may exhibit one more more of these signs:

• Straining to urinate - with and without production of urine

• Frequent trips to the litter box - with and without production of urine

• Crying while urinating

• Excessive licking of the genital area

• Blood in the urine

• Urinating in places other than in the litter box

• Posturing (squatting) in the litter box for a long period of time (Note that sometimes people think that their cat is constipated when he/she is really showing signs of a lower urinary tract problem.)

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Cathie,
    It sounds like Shaak has a urinary track infection. That can cause them to want to go to the toilet all the time and the red you are seeing is blood which can happen when they have a urinary track infection. They will keep wanting to wee but only a small amount will come out. If you have ever had a UTI you will know the feeling of urgency and then nothing much coming out.
    It is unlikely to be a blockage because female cats don't tend to get blocked like male cats do.
    I would definitely go to the vet in the morning. It can be treated successfully

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Yes, I know exactly what it feels like, had them a lot in my 20's. Shaak is just laying here, not acting like she is in pain, but I know she is in a lot of pain because of how she squeaks every time she tries to pee. I will call and head in the morning to the Vet. It is two hours away still. My poor baby.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Trying to pee when you have a UTI is VERY painful. Probably when she is lying there she has some discomfort but not the pain of peeing. Poor little thing....
    Let us know how you get on at the vet :bighug:

7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I will, I can't believe I have to just sit here for almost 2 hours.

8. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Cathie
    just got back on line and saw your post, I have no experience in dealing with UTI's in cats, but having had a UTI myself I can imagine how the poor thing must be feeling.

Bron has given you some great advice, it must be awful to just be having to sit there for 2 hours waiting, but you will get there soon enough. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

I hope you got some sleep!
    Gill

9. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I slept for about an hour. Right now I am wired though, I do have a headache, but I took something for it. I just want time to pass quickly.

10. Gill & George

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Sending HA vines for you and UTI vines for Shaak.

11. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

AMPS 375 Because of her having so much difficulty with her bladder I really feel I should skip her shot this morning, plus I have only had one hour sleep up with her all night and I don't know that I can stay awake once we are home from the vet. She is eating now, was excited and meowing like crazy for her food dish. Also, solid poop again. More blood in her urine though and she is straining to pee, voiding just drops practically, and squeaking when she tries to pee.

12. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

thank you @Gill & George , I am just waiting for vet to open and my friend to wake up.

13. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Cathie

As everyone above has already said, Shaak's symptoms sound very much like a UTI.

On the assumption that it is a UTI you may find that Shaak might not be very keen on drinking any water while she is recovering. Counter-intuitively if you pass more urine when the urethra is inflamed is actually less painful than trying to pass only tiny drops. (Don't ask how I know this. :oops:) Shaak won't understand that drinking more is better, so you could try mixing a little bit of water through her wet food to help flush out the urinary tract. If she's off her food a bit, try giving her some water via syringe.

Can any members recommend something to treat the inflammation and also something for pain management? (Most vets here prescribe Metacam for UTIs and that's not exactly desirable.)

Fingers and paws crossed for Shaak to feel better soon, and for her mama to feel less worried. :bighug:

Mogs

Gill & George likes this.
  14. Critter Mom

Be sure to ask the vet to check for ketones! Diabetics need to be extra careful about them when they have an infection (increases risk of DKA). If you haven't got any urine test strips at home I suggest grabbing some while you're out so that you'll be able to monitor ketones at home.

Mogs

15. Gill & George

If you can't monitor, and you have had such a rough night, then the safest thing to do is not to give the insulin. You need to take care of yourself to take care of Shaak.
    You can get back on track when you have got some rest.

With the increased risk of DKA would it be better/safer to give a token dose of Novolin, Cathie has had a very rough night and is not able to monitor. I just don't have the experience to advise. @carfurby @Elizabeth and Bertie @Marje and Gracie

Critter Mom and Andy & Pimp like this.
  16. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So sorry Shaak Ti and you are having to go through this; I know the waiting is agony for both of you. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a rapid recovery! :bighug:

17. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Do vets use a SS like what we use, if I take a copy of it to the vet will it make sense to her?

18. Gill & George

Depends on the vet I think, but all it is is a record of Shaaks numbers so I would take the info with me.
    My vet has access to it online, not sure if she has ever looked at it though.
    It won't hurt to take it but don't be surprised if the vet isn't interested.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

okay. Will take it but not expect much.

20. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with Novolin or DKA. I do know you have to be careful about not giving insulin if the cat is not eating and has an infection. Testing for ketones is a good idea.

I hope you can get Shaak to the vet today. Sending prayers. :bighug:

21. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could also be bladder and/or kidney stones. Those can irritate the bladder linings and kidney and cause blood in the urine

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Gill & George

Thanks for popping round Carla

23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I'm sending her to the ER and I'll take care of it for her. I also told her to give her insulin. We can't risk DKA and she can't test ketones if she can't get urine. shaak is eating. I'm hoping the vet stress will keep her numbers up a bit but I told Cathie to give her more food and take her testing stuff with her.

Hopefully, she can get some sleep when she gets home.

Critter Mom, Sparkle and Andy & Pimp like this.
  24. Gill & George

thanks Marje, I knew about the DKA risk what with infection but wasn't sure what the best course of action was re insulin, especially as it was novolin, and I have only had experience with Lantus.

Hope Shaak gets all she needs from the ER vet sending vines:bighug::bighug:

25. Marje and Gracie

I know it's a tough call but her BG is pretty high. I told her to take a syringe of karo and test while she's there. If she starts to plummet, the karo will hold her over until she gets home and gets food.

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Critter Mom and Marje and Gracie like this.
  27. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

How wonderful you are helping, Marje. Paws crossed that it all goes well.

28. Marje and Gracie

Just spoke with Cathie and BG at +1 at vet is 312. They took Shaak back for cysto and she's waiting now for dx. The vet, who is one I know and like, told her she shouldn't be home testing. image.gif image.gif image.gif I can only say I've never used her for anything with FD but she's a good ER vet. I don't get it because they are an AAHA clinic and AAHA supports home testing.

I told Cathie to just let the vet know she's not there for FD management.

Just like all of us, I help to pay it forward and also in memory of my baby girl.

Critter Mom and Gill & George like this.
  29. Gill & George

thanks for the update Marje, I hope Shaak receives prompt treatment and that she recuperates quickly.

What is it with some vets and home testing??? :banghead::banghead::banghead: (I'm lucky mine supports it)

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Marje and Gracie

I know. Our awesome vet, who also supports home testing, said she wonders if it is because if you're home testing and you get lower numbers or just don't know what the numbers mean, the vet can't be there 24/7 to deal with it because they have so many patients. They just can't manage FD as hands on as we do and that's why our vet is very supportive and thankful for FDMB.

31. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I got told by my vet that it is a very pretty spreadsheet.

32. Gill & George

I take it that was said with a hint of sarcasm:rolleyes:

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I don't know if it was sarcasm or just confusion on their part. I got yelled at the first week because I gave Fern his first 2 shots without taking a BG because I didn't know how easy it was and I was scared too. At times I think that is all they remember.

34. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

@Marje and Gracie Thank you so much for all you have done for me, I don't know what I would have done if you not come to me on FDMB. I will be forever grateful to you.

+2 302
    +3.25 327

we are home, we have gotten a mixed diagnosis from the vet. The vet,( who turned out to be not the one Marje was thinking it was) said "not any bacteria in her urine, so to speak" She however went ahead and prescribed Clavamox for her, and some Buprenorphine. She then told me what she thinks Shaak has is stress cystitis, brought on by home testing, which is something I should not be doing really, they are suited for it at the clinic but the home is not a good environment for testing. I could go into more detail but suffice it to say, we have antibiotics and pain relief and I am feeling very grateful. Marje is dropping by to show me how to get Shaak to take the Clavamox and I am getting ready to give Shaak a dose of her pain meds.

Thank all of you for being here for me and all of your hugs and good vibes and prayers.

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

36. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Get better Shaak Ti. And let Mom get some sleep.

37. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

unfortunately I have to pick my son up from one class and take him to another class and then get him after that class. so.... no sleep for awhile.

38. Marje and Gracie

You're welcome! I'm happy I'm here to help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  39. Andy & Pimp

:facepalm: [​IMG][​IMG]

I hope the AB and Bupe help Shaak feel better quickly. Watch for G/I upset with the Clavamox it did a pretty good number on P.

Edit to add: I found out Pimp would willingly eat his pills as long as they were in a bowl with some food or treats. I'm sure Marje will mention but it's good to offer food/water afterwards if you do have to pill her by force.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  40. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I just gave her some LC wet right after she took the antibiotic and pain med.

I just want my little girl to feel better.

Critter Mom likes this.
  41. Andy & Pimp

:bighug:She will!

Give it 2 or 3 days with the AB and she should start feeling a lot better (plus the bupe will help immediately). You can start feeling better right now knowing that you've taken the steps towards that.

You did a great job steering her cycle last night, too. Sorry I had to work. But I was watching from my phone:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  42. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi Cathie
    So pleased you made it to the vet and got an antibiotic and pain meds......even if the vet is a bit behind the times as far as home testing is concerned! I have never heard of anything so ridiculous as her saying it is stress cystitis brought on by home testing!!! It may well be stress cystitis but to say it was brought on by home testing is laughable!
    So glad you have Marje to help you and Shaak feels better soon.:bighug:
    I also give meds crushed and mixed with food and Sheba eats it OK

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I know, RIGHT!

The Vet said it has to be stressful for her being chased all over the house to have her blood taken all the time. I told her Shaak will come to me, lay in my lap and sometimes even purr when I take her blood.

Critter Mom and Andy & Pimp like this.
  44. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

As Bron said..that it the most ridiculous statement I have heard from a vet and I have heard some pretty stupid ones the last year or so.

Thank goodness you have Marje and all the other people on this forum to stand with you. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon and Shaak will feel better. My two kitties (one civie and one diabetic) have responded within 24 hours to antibiotics and started to pee more normally. In the meantime try to encourage drinking as much as possible, with extra water in the food, broth, etc.

Sending healing vines :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

facepalm-cat.jpg

46. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

+5.15 273
    +6.5 286

47. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I have to take my son to his Cal class now, I will drop him off, come back, check Shaak and then go back and get him. I would wait for him but it would mean missing +7, +8, and +9.

48. Sue and Oliver (GA)

She is running high enough that I think getting tests when you can is just fine. The infection will likely make her numbers higher than usual. We need to wait until she is on the mend before we work on data again. If you get pre shot tests and sometimes a nadir in the next few days, it should be fine.

I am incredulous. So the vet thinks she will be more stressed at home than in their office? I am glad they helped with the testing and meds, but I question their FD qualifications....

49. Marje and Gracie

Good evening everyone. I'm posting for Cathie. She has had only a couple hours of sleep the last two nights and is past exhausted. She was going to post but I volunteered to do it for her so she could take care of her daughter and Shaak and get some sleep. I told her that she should just skip tonight's shot and take care of herself. Shaak did not have any bacteria or ketones in her urine, she's on an antibiotic, and she's eating so I think Cathie doesn't need to worry about Shaak tonight. She is truly thankful for everyone's support and she will be back on tomorrow.

@Sue and Oliver (GA) Cathie has an appt for herself tomorrow afternoon that she absolutely must keep and I'm thinking she will need to leave at about Shaak's +4 or so. I told her it's probably just fine to give a half dose tomorrow morning (0.25u) provided Shaak is she I think she will be (300s) so she can feel safe about leaving her. Does that sound good to you?

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think that will work fine, Marje. I am guessing she will eventually need a little more, but I think waiting until the infection clears and Cathie has a chance to catch her breath is wise. Then we can worry about fine tuning a dose.

Critter Mom likes this.
  51. Marje and Gracie

Thanks, Sue. I'm hoping once things settle down a bit and Cathie gets some rest, we can get Shaak on a good dose and maybe maybe maybe in remission since she had such a great response to canned food.

Critter Mom likes this.
  52. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

Wow! Cathie and Shaak, you're really going through it. I feel so bad about what the vet said. I have to admit my visit to my 2 vets today didn't go so great either. Thank goodness for this board.
    Sparkle says hi and he hopes Shaak starts feeling better and to not worry about the poke thing. When Mom uses you as a pincushion she really loves you. My Mom always says I'm so good when I give her blood. Weird Mom, but you got to love them.

53. Critter Mom

@Cathie and Shaak Ti - I'm sorry to hear how tired you are right now. I can really relate to that. I am glad that Shaak is back home with you. Fingers and paws crossed that she'll be feeling much better very soon. You are a very good momma to her. Sending wishes for you to have a really restorative sleep. :bighug:

@Marje and Gracie - Cathie is blessed to have you in her corner. You truly are an angel. :bighug:

Mogs

Marje and Gracie and Andy & Pimp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.