? Shaak no testing strips, give or not give shot, advice welcome

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA), Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I posted this in the Caninsulin/Vetsulin and N/NPH forum but thought I might get more attention on Main Forum

I will run out of test strips at Shaak's +4 today, I won't have money to buy more strips till Saturday. Unfortunately I have been very stingy with the strips (afraid of running out, which is exactly what has happened) and only checking Shaak before shot and one or two ochecks during cycle, so there is not much to go on in her SS. So I am wondering what advice you all have, should I give Shaak shot tonight and tomorrow even though I don't have any strips to test before or after her shot until Saturday morning, I would be shooting blind and I have never done that before. Any advice welcome.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Gosh, Cathie, that's a tough situation! I can't recommend shooting blind, it's just so risky. But on the other side of the coin there's risk at staying in high numbers for any length of time, too. I will say that, looking at Shaak's spreadsheet, she doesn't seem to be dropping into dangerous numbers, but with the limited information there's really no way to tell, so it's kind of a crap shoot. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I think we have other members in your area, maybe if you post for help specific to members in the Tucson area someone would have some test strips they'd be willing to let you have just to carry you till Saturday. If I lived nearby I'd give you some of mine! :bighug::bighug:

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Having shared that same boat, I shot a reduced dose and worried myself sick...and watched him like a hawk altho' I knew I didn't need to. Only took us a few days to get back on track afterward....

HUGS 'cos that boat stinks!

4. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it, just such a tough situation.

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Breathe Cathie...

6. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

taking a breath is hard. I decided to skip tonight and see how she is in the morning. If listless I may give reduced dose in the morning

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Based on your SS I would shoot 2 1/2 units until you get more strips provided that Shaak is eating and acting normally.
    You could even go to your current 3 units since your SS does not show any BGs taken between shots below 150

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

I wound up missing one shot last night, my check came in a day early, so early this morning I ran out and got strips. I have a feeling that will not be last time I am hit with this problem, probably monthly. Just not enough money in the budget to cover all needs. I will keep praying.

9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Glad you were able to get the strips today!
    I know what you mean about never enough in the budget to cover everything! I go through the same types of things every month. :bighug:

10. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

well, I certainly did not think tonight was a fur shot, but what else can it mean, I had to run out to get food and missed +3 as a result I took a +4 and it raised 85 pts, went from 410 at PMPS to 495 at +4. I did not feel anything wet on Shaak when I rubbed her like I always do when I give her a shot. Is it possible that +1, +2, and +3 were all below a normal current value for Shaak and she bounced ??? Just so weird, I really really don't think I gave her a fur shot though.

11. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I use an Aviva Accu-Chek and I've wondered about how these strips work. I can see what looks like a circuit board on the end of the strip that plugs into the meter. I'm guessing the meter fries something in the strip to keep us from cleaning and re-using them. I used to build computers so I know even static electricity can fry delicate things. If I ran Aviva that's what I would do but that's a lot of "looks like" and "could be". That's always the big shock for newbies, here's your free meter buddy, wanna buy 200 strips? One day someone will figure a way to hack this and we'll all be rushing out to buy alcohol and Q-tips. I think someone is making way too much money on these strips. We're trying to do the right thing but first we have to bend over. Sorry, that's crude but so is taking advantage of us when we have no choice.

12. Squeaky and KT (GA)

WOOHOO!!!! NOW you can breathe again. Are you still using the Micro? I changed to the Prime as I could make an extra week at least for the same dollars. I do have to be sure his ear is warm so the blood drop will be enough - the Prime takes a bigger drop but the difference in cost is sometimes what we 'gotta do'....

HUGS! Glad that's over huh!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You're not rubbing the injection site are you?

14. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I always give Doc a kiss where I poked...and smell for that 'used bandaid' insulin smell at the same time.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

yes, I always have rubbed the injection site. Not hard of course but just enough to make sure it's not wet.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.