Shadow was OTJ, shot this morning...insight?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jeanice, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Hello all,
    For those of you following the threads I have been monitoring Shadow's BG's for the last 5 days, he has been bouncing from 314 to 112 and back to 314 then yesterday settled around 220 most of the day. I know this isn't a horrible number but he is beginning to act lethargic so this morning I got a 230 reading and decided to shoot a fat zero on him (low and slow) due to hypersensitivity to insulin and a sputtering pancreas. (When we went OTJ I shot fat zero's at .25 units to get him there, never above 1 unit and only 1 unit on high 300 numbers.) The PZI that I shot is 15 months old (no expiration date on the label) so I will be taking a reading here in the next hour to see if it is still effective. I think I am going to call the vet today to tell her what's up with this and get him in when I get paid on the 16th for tests to make sure his UTI is gone and possible work on teeth. Not sure if I should stay with PZI or switch to lantus. I have heard PZI is more forgiving with schedule, which I really do need as I do in-home therapy and travel 2 hours from home sometimes and can be gone 12 hour days. This decision to restart is so hard, but I don't want ruined kidney's on my conscious either. Not sure whether to use the exclamation or question icon on this one.
    I read on here that when you begin insulin numbers go higher before body responds to insulin, is this correct?
    Here is a recap of numbers from the past five days (can anyone refer me to a spreadsheet so I can start one?):

June 30,2010 July 1, 2010 July 2, 2010
    9 pm 265 8 pm 314 fed chicken then retest at 9:30pm 275 4:00 pm 220
    11:00 pm 112
    July 3, 2010 July 4, 2010
    5 pm 314 1:00 pm 260
    5:00 pm 220
    11:00 pm 250

July 5, 2010
    6:30 am 230 AMPS
    Fed low carb and shot a fat zero simultaneously
    8:30 am +2 225
    (thinking it may be expired or I need to shoot .25 units tonight)

I will post +4 and +6 and +8 numbers when I get them as I will need dosing advice for this evening at 6 pm Nebraska time.

2. jeanice

jeanice New Member

Sorry the numbers got all jumbled when I posted: (no insulin with any of these numbers)

June 30
    265 9pm

July 1
    314 8pm
    275 9:30 pm

July 2
    220 4 pm
    112 11pm

July 3
    314 5 pm

July 4
    1:00 pm 260
    5:00 pm 220
    11:00 pm 250

3. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having to return to insulin. I don't have any insulin advice, hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.

To make a spreadsheet, here are the instructions:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

Odiesmom

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Your vet can request a free small vial of U100 strength PZI from BCP. Fax in form for your vet here.

BCP sends it out pretty quickly, and this way you might be able to get Shadow quickly back OTJ with minimal cost.

I don't recall reading that, and I have seen examples to the contrary.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

jeanice you read that from me and that was just my experience with tom..i was testing for a few days before he got insulin (back in '07) and then when i first started shooting him his #'s did go up for a couple of days. don't know if this is very unuseual or not.
    good luck with the shooting.

6. jeanice

jeanice New Member

I did a +4 and got 325 so either the fat zero was not enough or the insulin is expired. Thank you for the sample vial form, I brought it to my vet and she is sending out for me. Thank you so much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.