Shane’s Journey

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by indyleslie, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indyleslie

indyleslie New Member

Hello everyone!

As much as I hate to jump on this ship with you all, I’m new here. I have been browsing through the board for a few hours and I’m quite impressed with all of the detailed information I’m finding. It’s like I’ve found a secret treasure! I feel like this will be an excellent starting point for me.

My cat, Shane, age 11, was diagnosed with diabetes last week. It was a diagnosis I have painfully suspected since January, and we (finally) got the “official” word from the doctor.

Her symptoms came on very slowly and it took a while to realize that something was amiss. Shane became very restless during the night. She would seek some sort of attention at odd hours, began to meow constantly, and seemed to have so much energy that I didn’t know what to do with her. Slowly I began to notice the excessive drinking. Excessive urinating. Loose stools. Constant “starvation mode.” The picture was starting to paint itself well, but I was clueless and had no idea what was going on. She was otherwise incredibly healthy.

We have been in and out of the vet’s office since January, spent well over $1,000, and to make a long story short, Shane was diagnosed with diabetes after the doctor finally completed a urinalysis. The answer was loud and clear. A urine sample should have been taken weeks before that given that her blood sugars were high, but that’s over now. We have a diagnosis. (We ruled out so many things. This cat, besides diabetes, is healthy as a horse!)

I have zero experience in this as far as checking blood sugars and giving insulin injections, but I’m determined for the health of Shane to do what needs to be done. I’m sure many of you didn’t think you were capable at first, but accomplished it all in the end anyway.

Shane has started at 1 unit of insulin twice daily, and it could be increased depending on the response. Her blood sugars are averaging 320-380 right now, both morning and night. I’ve started a spreadsheet to keep record. She’s only four days in, so it’s a bit too early to determine what path we are on.

I’ve cut out any and all dry food (surprisingly she hasn’t missed it) and I’m slowly weaning her onto a low carb/raw food diet. It’s not easy, but trying only costs time. It’s difficult to change her eating habits because she’s had the same ones for 11 years (Fancy Feast gravy foods with dry food on the side), but I was naive in the beginning and thought I was feeding her well. Don’t we all think that until we don’t?

Thank you for reading my long post. I’m sure that my story is a story that you have read a million times before.

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! It sounds like you are on the right path to helping Shane! Please come to the MAIN FORUM to ask any questions you have, and we’ll do our best to help.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

What a sweet photo! Welcome. It sounds like you are already on the right path.

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! Cute pic:)

Lots of support here.

If you would like to add a signature to your profile it is helpful, here is how:

click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

5. LindsayF

LindsayF Member

Welcome! My cat was also diagnosed last week! I am devastated but hoping she will be back to her old self soon! How are the injections going for you? I’m terrified of doing them :( she was being treated for a uti and I switched her to wet food so I didn’t start yet. Hoping tomorrow is the day but I’m stressing about it and losing sleep!

6. indyleslie

indyleslie New Member

I was devastated to receive the diagnosis, too, but these things happen and we must make the best of them. We, you and I, are new to all of this and it’s certainly frightening in the beginning. I was overwhelmed. I have tried to educate myself on feline diabetes as much as I can, and joining this support group was a great first start.

I was a bit nervous to give the injections for the first couple of days just because it was a new thing for me. Now it’s not really an issue and I can do it rather quickly while she is eating. I’m much more comfortable and confident the more I do it. Shane is not bothered by the injections at all, but is rather annoyed with getting her ears poked to check her blood sugar. She tries to fight against me a little. It’s a new routine you and your cat must find (some nights we are still searching for ours) and I promise it will get easier.

Don’t give up. You will become more and more experienced and you’ll be the person your cat need you to be.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

We understand. However, feline diabetes is a very manageable disease. With a low carb diet, hometesting and insulin, your cat may have many more years with you. Once you find a routine that works best for you, you will realize that taking care of a diabetic cat is not difficult at all. You will not be doing this alone. This board has a lot of very experience people here and we can help you learn everything you may want to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.