Shannon - Hyperthyroid-checkup yesterday -weight loss/heart

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JGinMA Lindy (GA), Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

JGinMA Lindy (GA) New Member

Hi,

I haven't posted for a while (was here when my dear Lindy was still with us - PTS 6/25/09). His sister Shannon is going to be 16 years old this summer. She was dx hyperthryoid last year with a follow up in October '09 showing thyroid level good (she has been on one half pill of the generic tapazole). She has always been small (unlike her brother Lindy who was a big guy). She was 6.4 pounds in October '09 but is now 5.9 pounds. Her heart is working too hard too apparently. I've had blood work done for her but results won't be back until Wednesday. She continues to be a vomiter but not every day. Vet said if thyroid levels off could up the tapazole. Otherwise, for the heart - when I asked him - he said something about maybe a beta blocker (can't remember the name of it)

She continues to be loving and affectionate and a real bundle of joy. Has turned into quite the lap kitty (since her brother is no longer vying for my attention). She still jumps up on bed/window sill but insists that I pick her up for my lap.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This one is what I consider my soul/heart cat (I nearly lost her when she was 4 years old but with lots of help she rallied) - even my husband (who is not a fan of domesticated cats) believes she is the most human-like cat he has ever met.

Thanks,

Janice

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Unregulated HyperT can and will lead to hypertension, high blood pressure.

I don't want to scare you but it happened to my cat who I took in at age 16 after my in-laws had passed. She was unregulated far too long and eventually her high blood pressure led to blindness.

First, I would check T4 levels every three months, unless her kidneys are well enough for I-131 radiation treatment which is the radioactive isotope of Iodine injected into your kitty. Only the thyroid uses the iodine so only the thyroid tumor will be affected, it's actually a cure for HyperT. My own boy Gett had it done in January, he had one check up since, his T4 was low, he goes for another tonight and hopefully it will show that he's fine. He's eating better and looking better than ever. He's 15 years young.

Did the vet get a blood pressure reading? Ask your vet about adding Norvasc and Enalapril for heart problems. You can use the generic versions, I just don't know the names of them.

3. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I would definitely have a cardio workup/ultrasound, if you can. Those drugs can help a lot but there are many different drugs and types of heart problems and what drug is used depends on the type of heart problem.

Crossing all paws for Shannon.

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Thanks Lisa for reminding me that there are different heart problems :) I've only had a few cats with heart trouble and they were on those meds, but it was probably just by chance that it worked out that way.

This is why I love the fact that we have such good peer review on the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.