Shaving for insulin injection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cindy&Taco, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

IDEA THAT MAY HELP YOU I'm new here, and like most newbies, I was afraid that I wouldnt be able to give the insulin correctly because of the hair in the way.
    So what I did was take a small pet groomer and shave 1 ,2 inch patch on each side, right behind the front legs. Toward the top a little. I can pull up on the hair part and see my tent easily.
    It makes it so much easier for me to see where I'm hitting. I use left side am and right side pm.
    I've been doing it this way for 8 weeks and has worked well. Plus I can keep an eye on the injection sites. All is well.
    It's grown back quite a bit, so in the next few days Taco will be getting his side squares again :)
    Try not to lay the razor part completely down on the skin, you may get a razor burn, I got 1 small one the fist time, but was gone in 2 days, maybe put the smallest guard on to avoid hitting the skin directly.
    Hope that helps us scaredy cats, no pun intented.

Sharon14 likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing when I first started. It really helps!

Cindy&Taco likes this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Mostly I guess I'm lucky. Leo has enough skin that the tent is easily accessible. I never had to shave him. But the vet shaved his gut earlier this year for the exploratory surgery (diagnosed small cell lymphoma). Beneficial side effect = Very Soft Gut about 2 weeks later. We couldn't stop rubbing on it:D

Sharon14 and Cindy&Taco like this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If Noah travelled well I'd definitely do it. As he gets older his really long hair gets matted and knotted.
    The only drawback is that with trimmers you generally get what you pay for. I trim Noah with J.A. Henckel boning scissors but.....
    IT TOOK YEARS OF PRACTICE AND PATIENCE TO DO THIS RIGHT.
    Get it wrong just once and there will be blood. I did not want to put that idea in someone's head in order to save money. There are always consequences.

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything but it's done now. We originally got these scissors to cut burrs of a long haired dog. Obviously a 60 pound and very patient dog is a different thing than a squirming cat 1/5th that size.
    These are the scissors-of-evil and they will cut right through a chicken leg, no joke! They're nasty and very sharp.
    henckel_scissors01.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.