Sheba cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Does anyone use Sheba cat food - the pate? I cannot find it on Binky's chart and wonder if it is a LC or HC.

Pattie

2. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking at the ingredients, there's nothing that's a major source of carbs, so I'd say they're ok to feed (you can always call the company to get the as-fed values if you want the exact carb count). They look pretty similar to the Fancy Feast Classic pates, maybe even a little better. How much were they charging for them?

Kathleen Tyrrell likes this.
  3. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

4. Harley and Pattie

Thanks Suze, I will let you know when I contact them. I don't know Julia how much they were. I got them at Walmart on a whim. Thought it might give Harley a break from FF.

Pattie

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

They're 55 cents ea. at PetSmart but some currently have BOGOFree coupons. There's pates and gravy ones....some of mine like them, some won't come near it.

HUGS!

6. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

All 3 of my cats LOVE the sheba - actually they won't eat the other kinds right now. They have been eating them for more than a month and I just checked Harry's bg the other day and it was 75 so doesn't seem to be affecting his numbers at all. :smile:

7. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

8. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I was curious about these because they are cheaper than Fancy Feast and look to be the same/better quality, so I just called Mars pet food. They insisted (after some curious questioning from me, because I found it hard to believe) that all of their pates have the same as fed values because they formulate all of them to be the same nutritionally. I find that a little strange, but here is what I got. I asked her to read me the ad-fed values for each flavor, she said she could but she would be reading me identical numbers. She said their premium cuts food also has the same nutritional content across that line (different than the pates, of course).

So here are the values I got for the Pates (which all have the same as-fed values, according to the company):

Protein: 13.7
    Fat: 6.9
    Carbs: 1
    Fiber .14
    Ash 2.5
    Moisture 75.9
    Phosphorus .31g

Calories per can 113, with the exception of the beef, which is 114.

Translated to percent of calories:

Protein: 42.4%
    Fat: 51.9%
    Carbs: 3.1%
    Fiber: .12 g per 100 kcal
    Phosphorus: 274 mg per 100 kcal

I'll link this in the other thread, too, as well as sending it to Suze.

9. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

Nice work, Julia. Thank you for getting the info and for sharing!

Suze

10. KarenLuvsBandit

KarenLuvsBandit New Member

REPLY: Sheba cat food

I was slow on the draw getting my question together on this same topic. Thank you all very very much for the research and the data. Bandit does not like the Rx food. I know the company stated that the as-fed was the same, but does anyone question that the gravy based ones are the same? Usually the gravy has glutens and/or sugars in it to be a "gravy." Thus, how could that be "the same" ? Thanks!

11. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

I am wondering the same thing.

12. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Now Sheba has a smaller twin pack in the pates. Tried to get info. From them on the p/f/c etc but no breakdown was available. They are very handy for middle of the night snacks for our diabetic Marmy and our hyperthyroid old guy.
    Sheba Perfect Portions Grain-Free Chicken Entree Cat Food Trays, 1.32-oz,
    I am hoping the breakdown is the same proportionally. Comments welcomed.

13. Harley and Pattie

So I contacted the Sheba people and got as fed which I will post but she gave me,the PO4 in grams. How do I figure it out. As fed was .31 grams for all pate flavors

14. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

I don,t have a clue. At least you spoke to someone.thank you!

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

PO4 is phosphate and 0.34 grams is 34 milligrams.

16. Jamie James

Jamie James New Member

We started feeding out cats the sheba perfect portions a few weeks ago and noticed that our diabetic cat has gained weight. While our cats love Sheba we are switching them back to fancy feast because there is nothing concrete about the breakdown and it seems to change with the different sites I look at.

17. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

I also was wondering about Sheba food, I had a coupon buy 10 get 10 free, so checked the pates with the cat food nutritional calculator and they were LC. Chicken & Tuna =6 , Salmon=4, chicken=6, and turkey = 6 These were the only ones I had to check, my cat liked them and they are usually a little cheaper than FF. I stopped feeding them to my sugar cat because I wasn't 100% sure about them. It's great you are getting all this info, it might give us more options when it comes to feeding. My cats tend to get tired of the same flavors and brands.

18. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

We were just told skion has diabetes but he will only eat Sheba cuts is that bad for him. He won't eat any of the pates from any brand.

19. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

After several phone calls and a week of waiting I finally got the protein/fat/ carb breakdown as well as phosphorous and calories for the Sheba cuts and they look ok for Diabetic kitties - 59/37/ and 4 with 316 phosphorous and calories ranging from 72 to 79. The phone number that finally worked is 800-525-5273. I spoke with Marylou and several others. Purina DM savory selects seems to be well liked by my diabetic little girl. That breakdown is 51/39/10. Hope this helps.:)

20. Lynn & Rupert

Can this info be added to the food charts? Would be a nice alternative. Great job btw and thanks!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  21. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

I would feel more sure of these numbers if Sheba would send them in writing. So far, no luck with that. It seems not quite right to me that all the flavors a have the same identical P/F/C breakdown.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

Thanks for all the info I would have no clue where to even begin to look with this being so new to me

23. Lynn & Rupert

That does seem to be a bit weird, hard to believe the gravy ones aren't more carbs and calories. Don't blame you for not putting them on the charts till you have more info. I think feeding the pate's would be fine, I did the calorie calculator on them and they were below 10% carbs. Thanks again Toni!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

You are where I was a year ago. And I still feel lost at times. There are many knowledgable people on this FDMB. POST OFTEN and they will help you.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  25. Jeannette & Lily

Jeannette & Lily New Member

I'm in Germany, so the pate still is called "Sheba Classics", here, and they are listed on a very good list of appropriate food for diabetic cats with the following information (I'll add some information in English):

Sheba Classics Geflügel Cocktail 4.1% carbs (chicken and/or turkey)
    Sheba Classics Kalb und Huhn 3.9% carbs (veal and chicken)
    Sheba Classics Lachs 8.9% carbs (salmon)
    Sheba Classics Ente und Gans 3.9% carbs (duck and goose)
    Sheba Classics Wild 3.9% carbs (deer)

The flavors probably have different names, but all pate varieties fall under 10%, most by quite a bit.

They also have a "pate with chunks" and "in jelly" varieties that are on the approved list (some, but not all, I believe), but all of the varieties with sauce seem to have a lot of carbs in them.

I realize there might be different recipes for this food in different countries, but Sheba pate is considered one of the better supermarket brands for diabetic cats here. Lily usually gets Sheba for breakfast, it's one of the few foods she never turns her nose up at...

Hope that helped!

26. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Here's the email they sent me a few days ago.

In a separate email I asked about carbs. The said all Pate was 2.5%. As fed. But I can't find that one now.

"The typical analysis for the Sheba Pate is: 13.7% protein, 6.9% fat, 0.14% fiber, 2.50% ash, 75.90% moisture on an as fed basis. I hope this information helps."

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  27. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Actually the "typical Nutritional Analysis" would be a breakdown of only the protein, fats, and carbs, by % totaling, when added together, 100%. That is what we need for both the pates and cuts and the phosphorous levels would also be important.

28. rawia

rawia Member

Hi all,

I know that this is an old post but i have questions about sheba, it seems that sheba has different pack in each country.

The one that we have here always gave me negative percentage when i calculate carb in dry matter.

If any one has experience please help me with this.

I will post example for one flavor and the ingredients list

Sheba succulent tuna whitemeat & snapper

Fat 0.2
    Protein 10
    Fiber 0.5
    Ash 3
    Moisture 90

29. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

the negative numbers are because the labels only give maximums and minimums, so sometimes when you use the carb calculators, you end up with negatives

The "Pates" are fine to feed and are under 10% carbs....that's what's important

The "Cuts in Gravy" are too high....between 11-16%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.