Sheldon's spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane and Sheldon, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane and Sheldon

Diane and Sheldon New Member

So pretty new to this and looking for input. Sheldon was diagnosed late August. Spent the first 2 months on vet recommended 2U twice daily caninsulin and eating dry purina dm. He got worse!! Neuropathy set in. Vet upped dose to 2.5.
    I did some research, kicked myself hard, started home testing, put him on friskies pâte (very slowly transitioned) got an awesome, patient mentor (thanks Hazel) and this is the result. What am I seeing? Is this remission? Does he need a different insulin? He's also on B12 for the neuropathy which is much improved.
    Thoughts?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just FYI....."GA" stands for "Gone Ahead" or "Guardian Angel" …..we use it for kitties who have passed.

It looks like Caninsulin isn't working well for him at all....I'd suggest going to one of the better insulins for cats like ProZinc, Lantus or Levemir.

We don't consider a cat in remission until they can stay in normal numbers (50-120 on a human meter) for 2 weeks without any insulin.

Sheldon isn't even close since he was just in 400's yesterday.

Did you re-test that 77? Anytime you get a number that's really out of the norm for your cat, it's a good idea to re-test in case it was a wonky strip.

3. Diane and Sheldon

Thanks for the heads up. I assumed GA was general advice . Sorry. I did not retest, never even ocured to me to assume it could be a false read. I did test 5hrs later and he was 15.9 /288 I have been thinking the same about switching to lantus. I'm about done my vial and syringes so nows the time to switch. My vet hasn't been keen about the home testing but I'm hoping if she sees this data she'll be willing to work with me.

4. Chris & China (GA)

You don't need your vet's permission to test....Just do it!!

If they don't support it, at least you'll know you're doing everything you can to keep Sheldon safe as well as learning how he's responding to treatment.

The people here can help you with dose changes. We have a lot more experience here than the vast majority of vets do.

I totally agree that Lantus may be a much better choice!

5. Diane and Sheldon

That's my thinking. And I can get the lantus without a vet's prescription right? And the proper syringes. I know they are calibrated differently. I totally agree withe the testing. How else are you supposed to know if its working or not? Making a trip to the city tomorrow and see if I can get what I need. You would start with 1u at first?

6. Chris & China (GA)

If you're in Canada, yes....it's available at any human pharmacy. Get a 5 pack of Lantus Solostar Pens....they're a better buy than the vial and will last to the last drop where the vial will eventually lose efficacy and you'll end up throwing a lot of it away.

Make sure you get 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge, 6mm or 8mm (needle length) U100 insulin syringes with half unit markings. You may have some trouble finding them though and you may have to ask them to open the box and actually look.

Might be helpful to start a new thread here (or edit your subject line here) and ask something like "Canadian U100 with half unit syringes??"

I know @Wendy&Neko is in Canada but she's not usually online until later.

As far as dose, how much does Sheldon weigh? What are you feeding? Any dry in the picture?

If you go back to your first post you can "edit" your subject line and remove the GA....just choose "no prefix"

Diane and Sheldon likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

One correction, don't get the Lantus Solostar pens, that's a waste of packaging. Get the Lantus 5 pack of cartridges instead. There's a cartridge inside each pen, it's like a pen refill, only less extra stuff. It's like a mini vial. You can buy BD Ultrafine II U-100 syringes without a prescription too. You want the purple and yellow box. You can buy both at most people pharmacies. I have heard of the occasional person getting grief at a pharmacy about getting the Lantus. Remind them it's for a cat. If they still don't budge, try another pharmacy. I never had a problem with it. My pharmacist knew more about Lantus for a cat than my vet did. She had a large kitty clientele.

I did a couple months of Caninsulin too before switching to Lantus. I did talk to my vet about changing insulins. In fact a locum vet suggested it and pointed me to FDMB. :)

8. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I buy my syringes from Independent (Loblaws) in Canada. They had to order them for me, but are much cheaper than walmart.

9. Chris & China (GA)

I keep forgetting you guys have those!!

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Safeway Pharmacy was my cheapest source for insulin supplies., now owned by Sobey’s. It doesn’t hurt to ask around. I found $8 difference in a box of syringes and saved a buck on each package of lancets, insulin was also a few dollars cheaper there.

11. Diane and Sheldon

Thanks everyone.. I'll be picking up supplies today. Hopefully I can get everything I need. He got no insulin, no testing last night and he's 21/ 378 today, which is still high but lower than he usually is on the caninsulin so I'm not giving him any. It doesn't seem to be helping and actually making him worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.