Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi Everyone, my cat Shelley has had diabetes for 6 years which has been controlled with Can insulin with no problems. Last week she had a hypo and her blood sugar fell to 1.1. She was in hospital for 2 days when her insulin was stopped and glucose curves were normal, suggesting remission and no glucose was present in her urine. Since she came home I have been testing with Alpha Track and getting readings between 17 and 25, still without insulin. I have given yesterday's curve to my vet and expect I will be told to restart the insulin. Shelley is a teenager, I wasn't her first owner so can't be exact. I am here to get further information as I don't want her to have another hypo. Thank you. I live in the UK by the way.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Vetsulin (USA)/Caninisulin is not the best for cats. In the UK you can now get the better pet insulin ProZinc. You might want to discuss using that might your vet
    It is good that you are home testing. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food.

What dose of Caninsulin was Shelly on when she hypoed (1.1)?

For specific help please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/?order=post_date

3. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi, thank you very very much for your reply. That is interesting about Prozinc and I will certainly discuss with my vet. Shelley was on 1.8 Can insulin and her last fructosamine result was 312, excellent control.
    The vet strongly suggested feeding RC Diabetes wet food. I have been trying it but Shelley isn't too keen on it. Her usual food has been Purina Solitaire, Applaws, Sheba, various flavours. Mainly wet with occasional premium dry such as Orijen. Just recently I had been feeding Felix pouches as she has for sometime been asking for food every 1.5 to 2 hours and she would lick up the jelly but leave the pieces. The last few days have tried her on Lily's Organic which she seems to like and I think has no carbohydrate.
    She also is on Amodip tablets for high blood pressure.
    Very grateful for you comments!

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you're home testing, by doing that you will be able to keep Shelly safe from hypos. If your vet starts you back on insulin, be sure to test before you feed her and give insulin. That will tell you if it's safe to give the shot. Also get a few mid cycle tests when possible to tell you how well the insulin is working. While caninsulin isn't considered the best for cats, many have had good results using it. Talk to your vet, and if you get back on insulin, post in Health Forum for more info. Here is a UK food chart
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml

5. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Thank you Sharon 14 for your comments and the link to the food chart, that is very useful. I have just seen the vet. He wants me to put Shelley back on 1 unit of Caninsulin and monitor her blood glucose. I realise her numbers need to be brougth under control but I am concerned as she had her first Hypo at 1.8 units and then a second at 1.5 units which the vet gave her in the hospital. I will post in the Health forum also. Thanks again!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

As long as you are monitoring for you can keep her safe. Try downloading Google Sheets and set up a spreadsheet to share and we can help you better with dosing advice. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

7. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi JanetNJ, thank you for the link, I will have a go. I have had exceptional help here, it has made the last week a lot easier for me. I am being a bit cautious about the dose I inject but will keep monitoring and reviewing.
    Kind regards,
    Anthony

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Anthony,
    You'll get more eyes on any post you put up if you go to the main health forum. This is the forum where we greet newcomers and then direct them to the health forum for advice. You've had some great help here and there's a lot more available on the main health forum. :)

9. Anthony Morgan

Anthony Morgan Member

Hi Kris & Teasel,
    Thank you. Actually I just came back here to respond to JanetNJ. I have been on the main health forum and received
    wonderful support.
    Kind regards, Anthony

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.