Shoot Late or Skip??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HaileyandTulip, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaileyandTulip

HaileyandTulip Member

Tonight I had to leave the house at 7pm for a meeting, so I was trying to see if I could get Tulip's shot done before I left as I wasn't sure how long the meeting would run. I tested her at 6:36pm and she was at 383. I put out her food and she ate some, but not enough by the time I had to leave that I felt comfortable giving her insulin.

I got home at 8:45pm and am going to test her levels again and see if she will eat more of her food. As for the insulin, should I give it to her late or just skip tonight and get back on schedule tomorrow morning?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you shoot tonight, you can move the shoot time back either 30 minutes per shot
    Tonight 9pm
    Wednesday morning 8:30 am
    Wednesday night 8:00 am
    Thursday morning 7:30 am
    Thursday night 7:00 pm
    Friday morning 6:30 am

or 1 hour once a day.
    Tonight 9pm
    Wednesday night 8 pm
    Thursday night 7pm

Can you be this far off schedule? Now, if the numbers are high enough and warrant it, there's a bit more leeway with Prozinc, but I'll let Prozinc users weight in on that.

If you skip, you can shoot in the morning at your usual time.

HaileyandTulip likes this.
  4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m not a PZ user and so it’s my policy to not advise on that. It’s best to get a PZ user to explain how to do that.

5. HaileyandTulip

HaileyandTulip Member

@Red & Rover (GA) I might be able to swing the 30 minutes per shoot reduction, but it would be challenging.

Since it is now almost 9:30pm, I am thinking that I might have to just skip for tonight. The latest I can leave for work in the mornings is at 8:35am so I wouldn't be able to shoot at 9am.

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Has there been any sign of ketones? Did the vet mention ketones when diagnosed?

7. HaileyandTulip

HaileyandTulip Member

@Red & Rover (GA) No they did not mention those and I do not currently have a way to check for them. I am actually still waiting to hear back from the vet about her senior blood panel. She has a follow up appointment this Friday.

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Glad there are no ketones.

Since you would have difficulty getting back on schedule, and since there are no Prozinc experts online at the moment, and since you and Tulip are very new to this, I think you should skip tonight and get back on track in the morning.

It is great that you have started testing.

9. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

You could think about doing an 18 hour cycle. Shoot tonight around midnight then get back on track tomorrow evening. I often do this if I can’t do the evening shot. Better than skipping completely and with the added advantage of not having to shoot in the morning.

10. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Sorry that no ProZinc folks were here to respond to you sooner. For future reference...

You have an hour of 'play' time with ProZinc. If you give a shot within an hour of normal shot time, it is okay to go back to your normal time for the next shot, as long as the pre-shot test result is high enough to be safe. If you give a shot more than an hour off from the normal shot time, it is best to adjust the next shot time gradually to get yourself back on schedule. You can do that in as large an increment as 1 hour, as long as the pre-shot numbers are high enough to be safe. My preference is more for 30 minute increments.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This applies to Lantus and Levemir users. Since PZ is a non depot insulin, it doesn’t really make sense to do an 18 hour shot.

Even with L/L, 18 hour shots are overused. It messes with the schedule for two days instead of just skipping and getting back on track the next cycle. There are times it is really warranted.....in the event a member has a couple days where shooting 12/12 or anywhere close to it is just not possible.

Thank you!!!! I really appreciate the information for my own knowledge base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.