Shoot or don’t shoot? Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by krazy4kritters, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I know there isn’t much on Diamond’s SS. I just did his pmps it was 159 then I tested again (within 5 min) and it was 177. He hasn’t eaten since his morning shot. I just fed everyone. Did not give shot. Suggestions on what to do next please.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Has he had his meal with everyone else, or are you still stalling?

Do you have testing supplies and high carb food, and can you monitor tonight if you do shoot?

3. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

I fed him with everyone else. I don’t have any high carb food on hand. I’ve been meaning to get some

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Your choices are: shoot a full dose, shoot a partial dose, or skip. This is considered a safe number to shoot, but usually you work your way down with lower and lower preshots, so this is a bit sudden for you. You may want to wait for a better circumstance (all supplies in order, a daytime cycle) to shoot your first under-200 number.

IMPORTANT: That's assuming no history of DKA or ketones-- if Diamond has had a DKA, you want to shoot if at all possible.

If you are feeling up to shooting tonight, it is possible as long as you're ready to monitor and you have something like honey or karo syrup to act as a high-carb booster. If you don't have anything like that, I don't think I would. Almost certainly, Diamond would behave himself and stay in safe numbers if you were to shoot, but it's not worth the risk if you aren't prepared for the alternative.

What do you think?

5. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

If I don’t shoot, do I just start tomorrow am with normal dosing.

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yes, you'd just note tonight's in the spreadsheet as a ns (no shot) and keep going as usual otherwise.

krazy4kritters likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.