Shoot or not?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ziggymom, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

After getting in 4 bg test today, Ziggy's last 2 have been under 200. I am not comfortable giving his insulin tonight, it's about an hour past the usual time. Since getting consistently high readings, these are the first "good " one's he's had. Not sure what to do. It's getting late, and I can't stay up much longer do to appointment in the a.m. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!

2. Ramon's mom

Ramon's mom Member

I actually just posted a similar request for advice. My cat just tested 161 and I am nervous about giving insulin with that number. In the past I have sometimes given him 1/2 dose when that happens but he always is high in 12 hours. I wish I could give you advice but I need the same advice myself! I wonder if most people here are asleep now....

3. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

I'm thinking the same thing!

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm reluctant to suggest you shoot without any historical data on which to base a decision. If you are not comfortable giving the insulin and are already one hour late, and you have an appt tomorrow morning, I'd suggest you skip and pick up again tomorrow. It would be very helpful to those offering assistance if you could set up one of our spreadsheets. The instructions are HERE and THIS document explains how to use it. If you need help, let us know and someone can get it set up for you. :)

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you feed him at the usual time?

If you did, the next time you get a Pre-shot that you're not sure about shooting, it's best to stall, don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes to see if the number comes up without the influence of food.

That can make the difference between shooting and not shooting. Since Novolin is an "in and out" insulin, usually once the numbers start to climb, they're going to continue to climb.

6. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

Basically started over today with a reduction in units from 2 to one, and so far today getting much better numbers. I think starting him out on two units of Novalin N twice a day was too much and he was bouncing like crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.