Shoot same or less

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Amps is 193. Do I lower the dose? I will not be home today at expected NADIr time. Please help

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Lisa - it looks like you stayed with the regular dose, is that right?

I think that was an okay decision, but given that this is your first lower number, I would strongly suggest that you test well before the typical nadir time for Little since you don't have data to know how s/he'll respond (I'm sorry I can't remember if Little is a boy or girl :confused:). If possible, I'd aim for a +2, and then based on that decide how many more tests you'll need.

3. Lisa and little

Yes. I did. And of course now questioning. I want to get her regular and am worried that my constant dosing change is confusing her little body. Yes she is a girl... my think was food will raise that 193 so hopefully I’m ok. I won’t be around for the +5 or + 6 so hopefully I get a good + 2/3. Nervous as hell...

4. Djamila

Deep breaths. Odds are she'll be just fine. It's just that the first time you want to be careful since there is some variation in how cats respond to prozinc.

How long until your +2/3? I'm heading out for errands soon but will try to watch if I can.

5. Lisa and little

+2 is an hour... this is so stressful thank you for the support. Means the world

6. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I can be here, too, Lisa!

I see in your sig block she’s on low carb FF. I wonder if you have any higher carb food hanging around, just in case (though as Djamila writes, odds are she’ll be fine!)? For example, we keep a few cans of FF “gravy lovers” in the pantry. It is 15% carbs vs. the 3% carb our cat normally eats. Can be helpful if steering with the regular LC food isn’t having the desired impact.

7. Lisa and little

I do. I have FF turkey and giblets at 18% dry food and honey ready. The issue now is the damn landscaper came and she went under the bed. Don’t know if I can get her out to test. Again I am and anxiety ridden mess. She looks and responds fine though and we are at 1. 1/2 hours post shot. Thank you all for being here. Couldn’t do this without you guys!

8. Djamila

She's going to be okay. Just keep breathing. Give her some time under the bed. Onset doesn't usually even start until +2 anyway. Find something to do to distract yourself: wash the dishes, take a shower, fold some laundry, play a game....

I was a little panicky the first time I shot under 200 too. I was sure Sam was just going to fall over dead. :rolleyes: Three years later we're still here and he's just fine.

9. Lisa and little

Ok. + 2 is 228 higher than AMPS as I anticipated. The landscaper really put a monkey wrench in my plan and I doubt that I will get another test in before I have to leave for a few hours. She hates noise and desks out and hides. Any thoughts I feel a bit safer now that this am. Am I being stupid?

10. Djamila

When will you be home? How many hours post-shot?

11. Lisa and little

Thinking a plus 7 or 8. Gonna shoot for 7. Damn baby shower and damn unpredictable landscapers!! That’s twice they got me on a random visit. Don’t they know it’s sunday!??? I am so nervous I’m gonna have to ale something so we both don’t fall over dead!

12. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Her +3 is soon, right? Can you tempt her out from hiding from the landscaper (darn landscaper!) to get that test before you leave?

13. Lisa and little

No luck unfortunately. And I am already so late. I have soneobne checking her while I’m out. No test just visual. Pray for us

14. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good luck! Life happens ... :confused::banghead:

16. Lisa and little

Got home yesterday and she was so good and happy that I didn’t have the heart to poke her at +7. At this point I am so frustrated as the numbers in general seem to be so all over the place. She has been on 2.5 units for 8 shots. Vet recommends I go back up to 3. I am not sure what to do. I feel like I have made so many changes between food and insulin doses that maybe I am not giving her body a chance to adjust to anything. Any thoughts or advice on holding the dose longer or going up would be greatly appreciated as I am convinced you guys are better at this than the vet. The vet also says don’t worry so much about the pre shot numbers as they will be high he just wants to get her down to 75-125 during the mid cycle. Sad and frustrated. As it’s been almost 2 months and I feel like I am doing a crappy job helping her

17. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you try 2.75 u for the next couple of days. It can take a very long time to get anywhere near a regulated BG level. Patience is essential - easier said than done as we all know. :)

18. Lisa and little

I have patience but I see other people’s spread sheets with greens and blues and I think I’m doing terrible. You’re saying it’s normal to take moths to see better results ? You don’t think all my changing doses is having a negative effect by confusing her body?

19. Djamila

Keep in mind that most of us use a human meter, and those will often read much lower than an AT2. If you switch to a human meter you'll instantly feel better! ;)

I agree with Kris, it looks like it's time to try 2.75u. And please get a test in the evening/night whenever you can. The nighttime cycle can be much different than the daytime cycle in some cats.

Also, a cat in higher numbers doesn't necessarily mean the owner is doing anything wrong. Some cats are honestly just sicker than others. We all just do the best we can.

20. Lisa and little

Thank you. I guess I am wondering why if you feed the exact same food and amount at the exact same time and give same dose why numbers would be so different. I see that her lowest numbers to date have been during AMPS so clearly her night cycle is different. Just wondering why and scientifically it makes no sense to me.

21. Djamila

Kris might be able to help with the "scientifically" part.

I've always found it helpful to just think about it in human terms. I might follow the same routine every day, but some days I'll feel great, other days I feel tired or anxious or grumpy or creative or patient or impatient. Our bodies are complex and from day to day they change, even if we did eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our kitties are the same way. They are complex and they change. We just do our best to keep up with them. :)

22. Kris & Teasel

Djamila's explanation is just fine! :smuggrin:

23. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I would like to introduce you to Mia's spreadsheet (and I use an AlphaTrak, by the way). Feel free to scroll through the 2017 tab and/or the beginning of 2018. It looks like someone spilled Skittles all over it. Mia does have 'greens and blues' all the time NOW, but she did not for many, many months. It can absolutely take months to get a cat well-regulated. Don't think the numbers should make sense, because much of the time, they just don't. It's all too dynamic. There are too many factors.. visible and invisible. Patience is a must if you hope to maintain any sanity. :)

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  24. Lisa and little

Sanity out the window already but that’s ok. Just want baby to feel better. Thank you all yet again for talking me through this.