? shooting on a 11/13 schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liz & IttyBit, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Hi everyone. I was reading last night about 11/13 shooting schedule if the amps is consistently higher than the pmps, which lately seems to be the case with Ittybit. Last night he was low enough that we didn't give any insulin at all and this morning he's very high, so I'm wondering if 11/13 might work for him. Could any of you have a peek at his ss and let me know what you think? I'd appreciate any input. I would also like to make sure I've got it right. In my mind we would shoot at 11:30 pm and then 11 hrs later at 10:30am and then 13 hrs later at 11:30 pm and so on. Is this correct? I still don't trust myself to get things right.

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi Liz,

Until someone who knows more than I do comes along, I'm checking in to say hi :) and that I'd wait before making any such decision. IttyBit is pretty new to being diabetic and I personally can't see pattern yet. There have been quite a few changes in dosage, some skipped shots, etc. All those things make his numbers hard to really evaluate, at least for me. Was the 11/13 schedule something you read about here?

What is he eating and when?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Looking at your spreadsheet, I see you are giving 2 units in the morning and 1 or 0 units at night.
    Perhaps it would work better to give a slightly lower dose in the morning, such as 1.5 units so that you'd have a shootable number at night.

Also, it is possible to use a conversion chart and U-100 syringes to fine tune your dosing, if you are having difficulty finding U-40 syringes with half unit markings. Basically, every tick mark on a U-100 syringe marked at half units equals 0.2 units of insulin (the tick numbers get multiplied by 0.4)
    U-100 Mark = U-40 dose
    0.5 * 0.4 = 0.2 units of U-40
    1.0 * 0.4 = 0.4 units of U-40
    etc.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It might help to get a curve this weekend and see when he starts down and how low he goes. It looks like his lowest point might be at +12 which might mean the am dose is a little too high, as BJ said. It would be best to have two shootable numbers in the am and pm. Your high number this morning is most likely because you skipped last night (good choice). If you could even out the two preshots, it would be easier for you to see how the dose is working.

ProZinc people shoot 11/13 because it is an in and out insulin and flexible. Vetsulin/Canninsulin does work similarly so it could work for those insulins, but you would want a very clear pattern of high and low preshots and be sure it is not due to the difference in dosage first. I would play with your doses to see if that doesn't even things out.

5. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

He's eating mostly Fancy Feast Classics with some Friskies and 9 Lives, all pates, and Young Again Zero Mature. He eats as much as he wants since there is always some pate and YA down, but majority of eating is done 20 min to 1/2 hr before shots. Pre-shot testing is always before meals but he pretty much always has food in his tummy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Thank you all for the advice. We will try 1.5 u 12/12 and see how that goes until we get another curve on him.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.