? Shot 2u @108 ,90+2 ,51 +4 Did I shoot too low?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hobbes Mom, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes Mom

Hobbes Mom New Member

Hi!
    After monitoring Hobbes for 4 weeks, I’m getting more confident shooting lower numbers. We are very consistent with feeding and administering his Lantus. So far, 2 units seems to be the magic number. I occasionally adjust his dose to 1u if I get anything lower than 110 and I’m not going to be here to check him all day. Today we were 108 at bfst, 90 +2, he only ate half his bfst (that’s a first) but finished it while I was taking his +2 test. 51+4. Am I getting too over confident shooting these low numbers? I’m home. I’m checking, I’m logging, and I have what I need if he shows any sign of Hypoglycemia. I guess what I need to know is what is a NO SHOOT zone??? My Vet said 150 but I feel like I’m getting to know Hobbes and the way he peaks and falls??? I’m seeing more good numbers and I don’t want to screw him up because I’m scared??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi! Consistent dosing is important, and it is really best to stick with the same dose am and pm. If you get such varying pre-shot results that you cannot do that, that is an indication that the dose probably needs to be adjusted. I see that you jumped from 1u to 2u. It is recommended that you normally change by only .25u at a time... or at least no more than .50u. If it was me, I would probably pick up with 1.5u and hold that for a bit. I can't really get a good feel for when his nadir is based on the test results you have, but based on 9/23, it looks like it may be pretty late in the cycle. So, keep that in mind when you are deciding when to test. For example, on 10/2, you shot 1u on an 85 and tested at +3 and got 51, but there are no other tests after that. 51 was right on the verge of too low, and it was really early in the cycle, so testing again later might have been a good idea to make sure he did not continue to drop and get too low. (Who needs sleep.. right? :))

As far as giving the shot on lower numbers.. when the dosing is such that things are leveled out and consistent, it is usually fine to shoot on lower numbers with Lantus or Levemir. But, my concern is that 2u is too high for him right now in general, so I would be cautious. Make sure you test throughout this cycle and be prepared to take action.

3. FurBabiesMama

I want to add... with Lantus, there are two approaches, Tight Regulation (TR) and Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS). If you have not already done so, I suggest reading up on them (sticky posts at the top of the Lantus forum) and deciding which is best for you. Then, you will have the guidelines on how you should handling dosing. Also, for dosing questions, the best place for you go post is the Lantus forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/ There are a lot of people there with a LOT of Lantus experience!

4. Hobbes Mom

Hobbes Mom New Member

Thank you! I’m watching him. I probably should have added that when you see a really low number at night and no checks after that....It usually means I panicked and gave him a tbsp, or 2 of HC, dry Food. His diet has been changed to LC wet food twice a day for 3 mo, but he NEVER turns down his old dry food, so I keep it on hand when we have low numbers and need sleep. I will post further dosing ?’s on the Lantus board. Thx so much for responding.

5. FurBabiesMama

It is usually a good idea to test 15/20 minutes after giving food to make sure the number has risen. Also, food wears off. So, if they go low early in the cycle, and you give food to raise it, it is still a good idea to check later to make sure they have not dropped again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.