Shot 3 hours early by mistake 2/4 Lincoln PS 86,+2 108, +5 70,+9 151, +11 191, +13 297, PMPS 520

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lincolns Mom, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lincolns Mom

Lincolns Mom Well-Known Member

2/3
    omg i just shot Lincoln 3 hours early... i had the alarm set to get up at +9 to give him his snack and test him... for some reason i thought it was AMPS... i just TSF and now as i sat down to fill in the SS realized it isnt AMPS but +9
    What do i do now???

--------
    FAST UPDATE
    Shot 7u at +9 instead of AMPS -- LC given at time of shot -- BG = 86
    +1 tested 95 -- gave a good blob of gravy
    +1.5 tested 101 - gravy with a bit of honey given
    +2 - 108 he isnt hungry after feeding curve all night.. but got him to eat 12 temptations
    +2.5 - 104
    +3 - 79 -- gave some gravy with a few temptations on top
    +3.5 - 92
    +4 - 88
    +4.5 - 85
    +5 - 70 --- gave some gravy. drop of honey, 5 temptations
    +5.5 - 58 - rubbed honey on gums
    +6 - 63 ate gravy with 2-3 drops of honey and 4 temptations
    +6.5 88 ate a little more gravy with a drop of honey and 4 temptations

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yikes!

Not experienced enough to give specific recommendations, but you have some time before onset so hopefully there will be others online in time to make the decision of whether to abort the cycle with HC food or not (which I think would be your main pre-emptive action option). Other than that, I'd say get a +1, a +2, etc. and just plan on being able to monitor closely all day-- this is essentially going to act like a dose increase, but I'm not sure if the amount of time you shot early means it's a particularly large one or not.

Finally: breathe!!!!!!

3. Lincolns Mom

Thanks Nan... i cannot believe i did this
    i wondered why he was acting silly and left the man cave where we normally did stuff... and i had to get him to go back in... but then i just went on right ahead with it... i feel so stupid right now...after 1.5 years this is a huge mistake to make:(

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Lack of sleep induced by those wee hours alarms will do that! I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, honestly. I've heard tales of "sleep BG tests", where the person is sure they failed to wake up for a middle-of-the-night test but later found evidence to the contrary on their monitor, it's a wonder we don't get more "sleep shooting" given how sleep-deprived most of us are at any given time!

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

With an shot done that much earlier it can act like a dose increase. You will need to do some extra monitoring especially since the PS was a lower number. In any case extra monitoring will tell whether the early shot will affect him. I would get a +1 to start with then a +2 if there is no drop at the +1 and continue from there. We all make mistakes especially when we are tired...which is a lot of the time. ;)

6. Lincolns Mom

he dropped fast tonight.. so i have been steering with food... and making sure to get a test every hour... i got up... tested first... then for some reason grabbed the insulin...

now is NOT the routine

and Lincoln knew it cause he left the room

routine is... grab insulin.. dish up food for all kitties... then he and i go to the man cave...i test... draw insulin... grab the food.. then shot while he eats... and as i was drawing the insulin i thought huh you tested before you brought the stuff in the room that isnt normal... but i just kept on going

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Breathe. How long ago did you shoot? Do you have plenty of HC food and karo or honey on hand in case you need it? Did he eat when you gave the insulin?

8. Lincolns Mom

40 mins ago now Carla... yes and yes

9. carfurby (GA)

Since you fed when you gave the insulin, I think you are okay to wait an hour to get a test, unless you really can't wait. Don't beat yourself up. We all do goofy things when we are sleep deprived.

10. Lincolns Mom

i am more worried about the +2 and +3 and past that... and not beating up myself up so much as really worried for Lincoln.. could throw up right now

11. carfurby (GA)

Just take it one step at a time. Get the +1 test and see if the food has raised his numbers. Then you can go from there. Just in case, is your vet open today?

12. Lincolns Mom

from 830-12 only cause its saturday but they have an on call service too if needs be... if something happens to Lincoln because of me i dont know if i can forgive myself

13. carfurby (GA)

Did you feed him LC when you gave the insulin? If you want to get a test at 45 minutes that is fine. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. carfurby (GA)

What time is it where you are?

15. Lincolns Mom

yes i fed him LC when i gave him the insulin.. its 10mins i can wait 10 mins... gut is telling me to start giving HC right now and get him higher for when it hits

16. Lincolns Mom

its is 419am

17. carfurby (GA)

I think you need to be giving him HC food the next time you feed too.

18. carfurby (GA)

Do you have an ER vet in case you need to get there before your vet opens? I don't want to panic you, just want to be prepared in case you need to get him there. Hopefully we can keep him from dropping too low without needing to go to the vet.

19. Lincolns Mom

should i start at the +1?
    when i test him

20. Lincolns Mom

no there is no ER vet in my small town... and the last time i had an emergency -- Savannah stopped breathing -- it took an hour for the other vet on call to get back to me

21. carfurby (GA)

+1 is fine or it's close enough you can test now.

22. carfurby (GA)

Keep in mind you can always drizzle some karo on his HC food if you need to.

23. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amber Here for moral support -hoping for a high +1

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  24. Lincolns Mom

+1 95... he is still climbing slowly like he has been the last few hours... start some gravy now???

25. carfurby (GA)

I would give the gravy now so it is in his system before onset hits.

26. Lincolns Mom

k will do right now

27. carfurby (GA)

Can you get another test in 30 minutes to see how much the gravy affects his numbers?

28. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

Go with your gut!! Keep monitoring, give karo if hc isn't keeping him up. If he doesn't stay up, get him to a vet.
    I think he will be fine, really, because you are there to monitor and carb him up.
    I live in fear of giving Eleanor a shot when I get up to test, it would be so easy to do.

Edit Just saw your post about no emergency vets. I would carb him up and abort the cycle, keep monitoring!!!

29. Lincolns Mom

yes i will get a +1.5 so we know how the gravy brought him up... he has been carb sensitive in the past... gave him a good blob of gravy with a bit of florentine on top so he would eat it...

i cannot believe i just did this Carla and Julie

30. carfurby (GA)

31. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

I once gave Eleanor her shot one hour early because I misread the digital clock! DUH.
    I think it has to do with fatigue and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

32. Lincolns Mom

FAST UPDATE
    Shot 7u at +9 instead of AMPS -- LC given at time of shot -- BG = 86
    +1 tested 95 -- gave a good blob of gravy at +1 will test again at +1.5

33. Carol & Murphy (GA)

we'll anxiously await the results, Amber. Take a deep breath - you're monitoring closely

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  34. Lincolns Mom

ok got everything lined up on the counter.. some more gravy in a bowl ready to go... the rest of the gravy from that can squeezed into another bowl... two more cans on stand by on the counter... a small bowl of honey right there ready to go... and the florentine for a MC to help keep him up ... so its all in fingers reach

35. Carol & Murphy (GA)

You got this, Amber (maybe you won't even need most of it)

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Just adding a little more moral support! It really is a miracle this doesn't happen more often. You're monitoring and can steer him as needed so he will be fine! Deep breathes! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Lincolns Mom

i feel really stupid right now... i even use a different song for testing vs tsf... and again wasnt till i sat down and went wait did i just wake up to adele that i realized my mistake

38. carfurby (GA)

It's so easy to do things when you're sleep deprived. I agree I'm surprised things like this don't happen more often.

39. Nan & Amber (GA)

Honestly, there's part of me that wonders if maybe it does happen more often and the CG just doesn't wake up fully enough to remember! Could explain some otherwise-mysterious dives...

40. Lincolns Mom

+1.5 101 he barely moved with the gravy

41. Lincolns Mom

should i consider giving him honey now??

42. carfurby (GA)

I would add a little honey to the gravy and see if he'll eat it.

43. carfurby (GA)

Are you going to test again at +2?

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  44. Lincolns Mom

i got some into him... gravy + honey.. for once he isnt hungry and that sucks

45. Lincolns Mom

yes will be getting a +2 in 15 mins

46. carfurby (GA)

If you need to, you can always rub the honey on his gums.

47. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

I wish I could stay with you but I've got to try to get back to sleep, it's 5:15 here. I'll check back later.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  48. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I am surprised it doesn't happen more too. I have fed and shot (skipped the test) before. I realized it as soon as I shot so I just quick grabbed a test.

I have almost plowed down two pedestrians driving and I know that was due to sleep deprivation.

:bighug:

49. Lincolns Mom

+2 108 - he isnt hungry for once cause of feeding the curve all night... but got him to eat 12 temptations

50. Lincolns Mom

never thought i would be so happy to find a bag of temptations in the house

51. carfurby (GA)

He's staying pretty flat right now. Hopefully he won't start dropping when onset hits. I'd test again at +2.5 and keep the honey on hand. If he's dropping & won't eat, you may need to rub it on his gums.

52. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, holding steady.

What time does your vet open, in terms of +X? Lincoln's doing great so far, just trying to get the lay of the land fully scoped out.

53. carfurby (GA)

She said her vet opens at 8:30 her time. It's 5:40 where she is right now.

54. Lincolns Mom

vet opens at +5 from when i shot.. i have everything on the cupboard ready to go... honey gravy

55. Lincolns Mom

is the fast update up top in bold helpful to those just jumping on... trying to stop the need to read the whole thread

56. Nan & Amber (GA)

I think that's fantastic, especially in this situation, where a lot of people are going to be seeing this as they roll out of bed and log on. There's a lot of back-and-forth in these threads.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  57. carfurby (GA)

Most people look at the subject line, but that might be helpful since it's in the first post. Most people won't have time to read the whole thread.

58. Lincolns Mom

Will get a +2.5 in 5 mins

59. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

It's ok Amber, Lincoln is going to be fine. If he's still flat I'd hold food at the next test so his appy is back up and ready to eat if needed.

60. Lincolns Mom

oh Karen how stupid can one bean be though???

+2.5 104

61. carfurby (GA)

That's good he is still staying flat. I agree with Karen on not feeding for now and seeing where he is at +3.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  62. Lincolns Mom

ok holding on food and will test at +3... which is when he should have got his shot...

he is acting ok except for the look i keep getting of mama im too full why are you putting food in front of me??? got some good cuddles in and he is purring and relaxed

63. Doodles & Karen

It's pretty easy to do especially when you're up all night. I fell asleep sitting up on the floor last night while feeding Doodles at 2am.

Hopefully Lincoln will stay nice and flat today with a bit of a rise at least in the second half of the cycle. Hang in there!

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  64. Lincolns Mom

when would you think that i am in the safe zone?? i know there isnt a definite answer for that... just hoping for a rough + zone to start feeling better in

65. Doodles & Karen

Think it's way to early to guess on that one. He's staying flat which is good. He's in the 100's so there is a nice safety net for the time being. After his +3 I think you can to testing hourly unless there is a big drop. Often times when you shoot low like that they surf.

66. Lincolns Mom

k was just thinking once the overlap wears off i would be a bit safer... or was hoping i would be

67. carfurby (GA)

@Doodles & Karen Are you going to be around for a while? I need to run out for a little bit.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  68. Doodles & Karen

I'm here for the next several hours in between making breakfast and Saturday morning chores:)

69. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Amber, Just seeing this now. Here to lend some moral support. PLEASE don't be too hard on yourself. I am amazed and in awe of the dedication of people like you and others who stay up till all hours of the nite to feed/monitor/test. Sleep deprivation can do a lot to your mind and memory and can cloud your thinking. I know you feel horrible right now, but you and Lincoln will get thru this.

So far, it's looking like you have it under control and you're prepared with everything you need to guide him thru this. When is his nadir usually? I'll be here in NJ holding a good thought and sending vines for a steady rise in his numbers. Breathe.....
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

70. carfurby (GA)

Good. Thanks Karen. I'll check in when I get back.

Lincolns Mom likes this.
  71. Lincolns Mom

+3 79 he is coming down

should i try getting some food into him or rub the honey on his gums??

thank you Donna... i would say his nadir is usually +8/+9...

72. Doodles & Karen

I was looking at his SS and it could go any way today. :rolleyes: 7u is a good size depot. Hopefully he stays flat or even gives you a bit of a bounce.

73. Lincolns Mom

thank you Carla:bighug::bighug:

74. Doodles & Karen

Ok, it's not a huge drop but I'd try to feed him a bit if he's hungry. If not I'd let it go for another 30min - 1 hour. Do you have a syringe if needed?

75. Lincolns Mom

yes i have a syringe

76. Doodles & Karen

Other question is how tired are you? It's OK to try and abort the cycle and carb him up now

77. Lincolns Mom

ok got a little more gravy in him by dropping a few temptations on top

78. Lincolns Mom

right now i am wide awake... amazing how realizing you shoot 3 hours early can wake you up.... if he would eat like he normally does i wouldnt be as worried

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  79. Lincolns Mom

if we wanted to abort how we would do that if he wont eat for me?

80. Lincolns Mom

+3.5 92
    if i get a little into him he seems to come up a bit or level off but if i stop then the drops happen... will hold off again on food and see what +4 is without anything given for 30mins

81. MélanieW

MélanieW Member

82. Doodles & Karen

Those temptations are filling. If needed have the syringe ready. It would be nice if he can surf without food for a few until he's hungry enough to eat. Personally I've had a few 12 hour days of trying to abort a cycle with Doodles and never happened. Sometimes a good squirt of honey via a syringe would buy us a few hours at least. Want to be careful though not to make him vomit. He's surfing pretty good at the moment. Have to take it hour at a time unfortunately.

83. Lincolns Mom

ok then we take it an hour at a time

84. Lincolns Mom

how many ml's on the syringe? with honey

85. Doodles & Karen

I'm not sure honestly. With Doodles depending on where he is he's very hard to get up/keep up.

86. Lincolns Mom

its a 3ml syringe i have only reason i asked

87. carfurby (GA)

I'm back for a little bit, but have to leave again in about an hour. Have you tried rubbing honey on his gums?

88. Lincolns Mom

not yet... should i right now?

89. carfurby (GA)

If you are wanting to try and abort the cycle, you could try rubbing honey on his gums. It also may give you a break for a little while and give him time to get hungry.

90. Lincolns Mom

ok will get the +4 in 5 mins then rub the honey on gums... and agreed if we get him to come up a bit with no food his appetite should come back ... normally he eats everythign

91. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Please don't beat yourself up over this......Lincoln will be ok! Just keep testing and keep emergency supplies nearby in case you do need them. Have you reached his normal onset time yet? And when is his normal nadir? I would caution against feeding too much too early in case he drops lower and you really need him to eat. So @Doodles & Karen what do you think.....it might be be best to feed a small amount of med/high carb rather than a larger amount of low carb?

92. Judy and Boomer

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  93. Lincolns Mom

+4 88 he is pretty flat with no food given in the last 30min... should i still try a bit of honey on the gums or see where he is in another 30mins first??

he is relaxed right now and not stressed

94. Lincolns Mom

@Judy and Boomer i shot 3 hours early... so if i shoot his regular time tonight it will be +15 from the shot this morning... that should be ok right ?

95. carfurby (GA)

It's up to you. If you want to abort the cycle, I'd try the honey. If you want to see if he'll keep surfing this cycle, wait and test in 30 minutes. Just be cautious that he may start dropping and I don't know how easy it will be to get him back up. I can't tell when his onset is from the SS.

96. Judy and Boomer

OMG of course you're right and I'm just going to delete my post above. DUH

97. Lincolns Mom

when he works the juice normally there is a drop at +3, at least that is how i read his SS... so i believe we are one hour after onset

98. Lincolns Mom

ok i just want Lincoln to be as safe as possible.. giving that he is at 7u and has been low all night is the best option to keeping him safe to abort the cycle?

99. carfurby (GA)

A lot of cats will keep surfing when you shoot a low (safe) PS. Can you get a test at +4.5 to see where he is? That should tell you if it is safe to keep doing what you've been doing or you need to try and abort.

100. Lincolns Mom

most definitely getting a +4.5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.