shot only once a day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rondaandjake, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rondaandjake

rondaandjake New Member

Question regarding shooting my Jake with vetsulin only once a day. For the last five days, his bg has been 166,101,126,112,147 in the morning before breakfast so I havn't been giving him a shot. In the after noon before dinner it has been, 248,384,248,316 and 237. I have been giving him 2 units after dinner. I don't really trust my vet to advise me. On the 24th his bg went way down to 69 in the evening and this is when it starting looking better....the next day. I did not give him a shot that night or the next morning. It seems like things are getting better. we have been through this before in 2007 where first he had diabetes and then he didn't.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

IMHO, it would be better to shoot a smaller amount every 12 hours. It may well even things out. The other consideration - have you heard that Vetsulin is being recalled because of quality problems? Here is some info: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/new ... 188752.htm Any chance you can get him on some other insulin?

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

I agree with sue, it is very rare that a cat will do well on a once a day shot.
    Please talk to your vet about changing to 1u 2x a day.
    and check out the vetsulin recall -- perhaps your vet is unaware.

If you decide to switch insulin, lantus is a great for newly dx'd kitties. I used it with Winnie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.