Shot spot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steve and Buddy, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve and Buddy

Steve and Buddy Member

I recall reading in a few trends that shooting in the scuff ( lower back of the neck ) isn't the best place to shoot. As insulin sometimes isn't as attractive. Is this true? If so, where are the best shot spots.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

A lot of folks shoot in the scruff area with no issues whatsoever. I personally never noticed a difference between scruff and other injection sites however I've seen others say shooting elsewhere did make a difference for their cat. Below is a pic of injection sites. All you can do is experiment a bit with your cat and if there is no obvious difference, then rotate shot sites to avoid any scar tissue build up which can disrupt the insulin absorption.

cat_injection_site_selection_graph_wider.jpg

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

turns out I've never shot in the scruff because Catcat is so narrow there, there's not enough skin to tent up -- I'd probably be doing "clear through" fur shots there if I tried

with him, it's easier to shoot somewhere between the shoulders and the area where his flanks are a bit concave -- I shoot on one side of the backbone in AM, the other side PM, alternating forward, middle, and back if I remember where I am in the alternation .. doubt that I've ever injected in the same place repeatedly, he's usually nose-to-food-bowl and doesn't notice more than to growl slightly occasionally, if even that

5. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

My cat did build scar tissue in the stuff area after a few months of shots there. I noticed the skin seemed thicker and it was harder to give injections. I switched to rotating sites, Side belly, side chest and flank and have been able to greatly reduce her dose since I started rotating injection sites.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.