Should I be Skipping Insulin Shots?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Miriam Van Scott, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miriam Van Scott

Miriam Van Scott New Member

Harriett: 7 years old, 7 lbs (down from 10lbs pre-diabetes) on 2 units of LANTUS 2ce a day

Hello all. Harriett was diagnosed May 14th and went on Lantus immediately. Her BG was 428 at diagnosis. Doc had her on Royal Canin but I transitioned her to wet pate, and began home monitoring 5 days ago. Since then, her numbers have ranged from the high 200's to low 60's.

Here's my question: for the past 3 days, once at 7am and twice at 7pm when she's scheduled to get insulin, her BG reading has been low enough that I didn't administer the shot. That means she's only getting a single dosage of 2 units Lantus once a day. Is this okay? I worry that skipping the shots means her BG is not being properly regulated, but at the same time know it's dangerous to shoot at BG 68, 52, 74

Thanks!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Miriam and Harriett and welcome.
    Well done home testing. It is the best thing you can do to keep Miriam safe.
    In answer to your question. Yes at this point, when you have no data as to how Miriam reacts to Lantus, it would be dangerous to give insulin with low numbers such as 68, 52 and 74.
    2 units for a newly diagnosed cat is too much. You are better starting on 1 unit twice a day.
    And when you changed over to wet pate from royal canin you lowered the number of carbs which is great, but then less insulin is needed.
    You would be much better giving 1 unit twice a day and making sure you test before every shot and again during the cycle because the dose is decided on how low the BG drops. You will need to stay on the 1 unit for at least 6 cycles to let the depot settle, unless Harriett drops low again.

Can you tell me whether you are using a human glucose meter or a pet meter such as alphatrak please? As it makes a difference.

I would recommend you set up a spreadsheet and start entering all the BG data into it so that we can see how things are going. And we can help you with dosing. We go up and down in dose in 1/4 unit increments so as not to miss the best dose and it is safer for the cats.
    Also if you could set up your signature which will appear at the bottom of all your posts and will tell us all about Harriett so we don’t have to keep asking you questions.
    Until you get some data, I would not give Harriett insulin if the BG is below 200. What you would do is stall, don’t feed, and take the BG 20 minutes later to see if it is rising. Also post on here and ask for help. Put something like...”BG xx stalling PLEASE HELP” in the subject line to alert people.
    Here is a link which has links within it to will tell you how to set up the signature and the spreadsheet.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

Please keep asking questions.
    Bron

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you could be Miriam,
    I second what Bron said 2 units is too much, I would start with 1 unit and monitor Harriett through the day and night
    You can scatter the times such as @+2, @+5, @+8
    Then @+3, @+6 @+9 for both cycles
    Cats run lower at night so you will want to get at least one test done
    You want to gather as much data as you can
    AMPS = AM Pre Shot
    @+2. Means 2 hours after the pre shot @+3. three hours after pre shot and so on

What metercare you using human or pet
    Please set up the signature and spreadsheet,

how you can help us help you. First, create a signature. GO to your name on the top right, and then signature. Enter info such as your pet's name, date diagnosed, insulin you are using, meter you are using, and food you are feeding.... and any other health concerns.

next, follow this link and create a spreadsheet with whatever numbers you have. If you need help setting it up, just let us know.http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337

Great job already home testing, it's the only way to keep Harriett safe.
    If you need help setting up the spreadsheet ask for help, we have amazing members that are willing to set it up for you

4. Miriam Van Scott

Miriam Van Scott New Member

Thanks! I think I added some info to 'Signature' (I'm not a technical person, but trying to learn!)

I am keeping a log of date / time / how long since food & last dosage when I test her BG. Will try the 1 unit 2ce a day, that does sound way better than 1 shot every 24 to 36 hours then she bounces around from high to low!

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I vote for the one unit twice a day.

Youre doing a fantastic job Miriam! Keep up the good work!
    j

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please do try to put together Harriet's spreadsheet. I'm tagging @Marje and Gracie -- she's our "keeper of the spreadsheet" and can lend you a hand if you need help getting it set up. Frankly, we can't really offer the maximum amount of help without having a look at Harriet's spreadsheet. We're rather numbers dependent!

Just as a precaution, you may also want make sure you have some high carb food along with Karo (or other corn syrup, honey, etc.) in the house. Just in case your kitty's numbers drop too low, you'll need a "toolkit" to help get the numbers back up.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes I think that is the way to go right now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.