Should I decrease dose - Clarence's BG was at 72 at +6

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dee Dee C, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Hi,

Clarence finally decided to flirt with some lower numbers today and was at 72 when I tested at +6 (Edited this, I had put +5 before but realized that was incorrect). He ate a little bit of his usual low-carb food (although he wasn't super hungry). I've had him at 1.5 units for awhile and I'm wondering if I should reduce him back down to 1.25 for a few days. I have not been able to test as regular for the past several days and he has had some bouncing. There has been stress at home which has probably impacted some of his higher readings as well.

I'm happy to see him get down into the green numbers without going too far down, but I really don't know whether I should reduce because of it. I know that as a newbie I don't want to see him go below 90, but I figure I should ask whether being at 72 (Human meter) warrants a reduction. Any assistance would be much appreciated. He is really feeling good and happy at this number right now, but will I see some sensitivity causing him to o even lower at the 1.5 dose if I don't reduce?

@MrWorfMen's Mom
    Linda, I'm tagging you in hopes you can see and respond since you are most familiar with crazy Clarence! :D

Thanks,
    DD

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Reason for edit: Edited to make correction to testing time.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I think for safety sake I would reduce to 1.25u and see what he does for a few days. If you know there has been some stressors at play then the numbers you've been seeing could be a bit elevated.

A little homework.......The reading on the 18th day cycle +3 of 330 should be pink not yellow on the SS.;)

3. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Hi Linda, I hope all is well with you. Thank you for the reply. I will reduce for a few days to be safe. I like to see him in the green numbers (a rarity for him), but I definitely want to keep him safe. I'm glad I posted the question and got assistance out here on that cuz I was thinking I would be okay to give him the 1.5, then I started thinking I should reduce, then I just decided to post and ask the question from someone with experience!

Thanks also for catching that error on the spreadsheet! I corrected it to pink. So now I can go watch TV cuz my homework is all done! :p

Have a nice evening and thanks again! Hugs from both of us! :bighug:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.