Should I give dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Calvin Tucker, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calvin Tucker

Calvin Tucker New Member

Good morning everyone this is my first post. I switched Raphael to fancy feast. Saw good blood sugar for a while. The last week he’s been high in the mid 300’s. Checked him last night before work he was at 265. Got home this morning and he was at 65. Seems fine and I just fed him a can of fancy feast with gravy and gave him just a few pieces of dry to get him back up. I’m still learning as I’ve only had him now 2 months and adopted him to save him from being put down. My question is since he was low and I usually give his insulin prozinc at 10a and 10p should I wait a while to check again before I give it? And also do I need to adjust the 12hrs from that new time if I give later today? Thanks for any help and once again I’m leading from all of you. He is doing better than when I first got him. Checked him again he’s up to 115 now. Just wondering do I skip dose. It’s not 1 hour and 20 mins late.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Calvin, and welcome! Based on the info you've shared, I would suggest skipping this shot.

Calvin Tucker likes this.
  3. Djamila

It would be really helpful if you could set up a spreadsheet like we all use here. The link is right here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

You'll need a gmail account, and then you can get it set up. The formatting is all automatic, so you just need to input the numbers you're getting.

If youcould also tell us when Raphael was diagnosed, how long he's been on insulin, his dose, and whether you are using a human meter or a pet meter (alphatrak2, etc.) that would be really helpful in knowing how to best advise you.

Welcome to the group, and great job adopting a kitty in need!

Calvin Tucker likes this.
  4. Calvin Tucker

Calvin Tucker New Member

I’ve had him 2 month now the first two weeks I had him he was at the vet. Had a UTI, pancreatitis, half his teeth are gone and his BS was in the 500 range. Don’t know much about him. I saw him on Facebook one night and the post said he was in a neglect situation and had, had no insulin in over two months. He was staying with a friend of the owner and was scheduled to be dropped off at a shelter in 2 days. I took him as I wasn’t gonna let that happen. So don’t know his back story and how long he’s been diabetic. But when I took him to the vet she put him on the hills science and told me he’d have to eat that forever. I learned that fancy feast was better. Switched him to that a month ago and saw improvements in his numbers. But the last few days have been in the 300’s then was low this morning. Still haven’t given shot. Gonna test again now. I will create the spread sheet as well. Thank you.

5. Calvin Tucker

Calvin Tucker New Member

Do I still give at the time I’d normally give the next one?

6. Djamila

If you don't give a shot, you'll give the next one at the regular time. If you do give a shot, you'll give the next one 12 hours later from whenever you give it.

7. Djamila

Are you using a human meter or a pet meter? I'm wondering if some of those 300's might have been that your dose is a little too high and he's bouncing a bit. Will be able to see better once your spreadsheet is done. That's part of why I'm suggesting skipping this one until we have a clearer picture of what's going on.

8. Djamila

I just wanted to correct this. You don't need a gmail account. You just need any account registered with a Google account. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.