? Should I give him his shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EllieRuthanne, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EllieRuthanne

EllieRuthanne Member

Bear's been in good numbers lately and I've actually skipped his dose since yesterday morning.
    He was staying down, but today he ran a bit higher. However, he is still on the low side of the 100s.
    Should I give him a small (extremely small) dose tonight or let him ride with no insulin shot?
    Just as a side bar, he's acting fine. Was kind of sleepy today, but his nose is wet and he's been playful and alert.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Wow his numbers look awesome!

I don't have experience with Novolin N. That's why I didn't say anything about a dose, not ignoring you :)

3. EllieRuthanne

EllieRuthanne Member

Thank you. My husband and I have been super excited about it.
    I'm not sure what a "normal range" is for a human meter, though.

4. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I would not give a shot if he is in the low 100's if he were my cat. Just my opinion is all. I don't know anything about Novolin either though.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Normal range on human meter is 50 - 120. Some kitties naturally run higher or lower :)

6. EllieRuthanne

EllieRuthanne Member

I was thinking the same thing, which is why he hadn't gotten one since two days ago, but he had been getting a nice curve down into the green.
    Today he didn't dip past 100 and is running a tad higher than before.

Thank you.
    I'd been testing my other two cats randomly when I test Bear, just to compare numbers.
    One runs on the very low end of the scale (but he is smaller and thinner at a normal weight for a cat) and the other runs about 15-20 points higher than the first one (he, however, is a gigantic tiger at 14.7 pounds).
    So, these higher numbers could still be considered normal for him? Even without his shot?

7. Yong & Maury GA

Technically, yes.

8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie, just checking in to see how Bear is doing. Hope all is well! :bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. EllieRuthanne

EllieRuthanne Member

Hi! :D
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I'm knocking on wood while I'm saying this, but he seems to be doing great. Amazing actually.
    His numbers are consistently in the green and he's doing great overall, meaning his coat is much healthier, his nose always seems to be wet, his energy has more than doubled, and he doesn't seem to be peeing as much.
    I have him on a two week insulin free trial. If you check out his spreadsheet you can see his pretty numbers.
    This site has been a life saver... literally. I'm positive you amazing people have helped me save my little love's life.
    The next time we are at our vet for whatever reason, I will be dropping a few suggestions and insisting they tell every new feline diabetic cat parent of this forum and the website.

Squeakycats and Squalliesmom like this.
  10. Squalliesmom

Wow, look at all those gorgeous greens! :D His spreadsheet is beautiful, lol! I'm so glad he's doing well. Make sure to let everybody know when his OTJ trial is over so we can have an OTJ party for him! We LOVE OTJ parties!:joyful::bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Great news about your kitty! :smuggrin:

12. EllieRuthanne

EllieRuthanne Member

Squalliesmom and Squeakycats like this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.