Should I hold dose or change?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dunkin in Hawaii, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Dunkin in Hawaii

Dunkin in Hawaii Member

Please advise...we were doing pretty well and then got a low number this morning, I did a token dose, then tonights number was 517. Yes, I realize I need to be more vigilant with overnight testing to fill in the blanks. He's also got CKD which is a handful to manage. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, 175 is not a particularly low number, even with SLGS. I strongly suspect you could have shot the full dose especially since you were able to get a test at +3. Especially with a CKD kitty, I'd want to encourage you to try to keep Dunkin below renal threshold. If you want to see Dunkin in better and more consistent numbers, it's going to be very hard to do with half of your data missing. Getting PM cycle tests is important.

I'm not sure what dosing method you're actually using. Sith SLGS, a drop below 90 warrants a dose reduction.

What are you having to do that makes managing CKD such a challenge? Most of us make sure we're using a low phosphorus food or using a phosphorus binder, depending on what stage of CKD our cat is at. There may be some medications or subcutaneous fluids. Have you seen Tanya's CKD site?

3. Dunkin in Hawaii

Dunkin in Hawaii Member

Thank you, that was very informative. I have read Tanya's site extensively as well. Doing my best to get the spot checks in. Not sure how people do it daily and at all hours including overnight unless they work from home. Will try to get more in this week.