? Should I increase dose now?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by MartyJean & Skitty, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MartyJean & Skitty

MartyJean & Skitty New Member

Hello, first of all, thank you so much for this forum! I am still studying and learning so much. After last week's curve test, the vet increased the dose to 3 u. I decided to hold off on increasing because I was weaning Skitty off dry food and was concerned about hypoglycemia. I only have a few days of testing recorded, but I was wondering if you could please check Skitty's SS. His BG seems stable, but high. He is completely off dry food as of 2 days ago. In the last few days Skitty has had a significant decrease in PD/PU and he is behaving more normal, even playful! Do you think it's time to increase the dose to get his BG #s closer to normal? Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Updated info
    BBelshan likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Since you just finished off the dry food 4 days ago (sorry for the delayed reply), I'd hold the 2u dose until he's been off the dry a full week as it can take that long to see the full change in BG as a result. Looks like the pre-shots at night have come down a bit and you may still see some change.
    I'm very happy to see you are getting some night cycle testing in. Our kitties quite often go lower at night than during the day so getting a test before bed every night is very helpful to see how kitty is doing. It possible Skitty is going lower than what you are seeing during the night and then bouncing back to pink by AMPS. If you wake during the night, taking that opportunity to test can also be helpful. Let's see if his numbers come down anymore in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, assuming you may need to increase the dose a bit, are you using syringes or the Vetsulin pen? If you are using the pen, I highly recommend you get some syringes with half unit markings so that you can make 0.25u dose adjustments. This ensures you don't skip over the best dose. 40u syringes with half unit markings are available from ADW or alternately, you can get some 100u 3/10 ml syringes with an 8mm 31 gauge needle from a human pharmacy and use those along with a conversion chart (we have one) to do the finer dose adjustments. If you need further info/help on the syringes, just holler.

MartyJean & Skitty and BBelshan like this.
  3. MartyJean & Skitty

Your kitty is a beauty! Please don't apologize, I am blown away at the compassion, generosity and knowledge shown here in this forum. I hope someday I will feel competent to answer questions from the newbies. Thank you for the excellent feedback, I will work on getting some numbers during the night. I'm using the U40 syringes with only whole unit markings, but I will look into getting the half unit markings. I feel much better increasing the dose in 0.25u increments instead of the whole unit that the vet prescribed. Skitty loves all the flavors of FF Classic pates, should I be sticking to only one flavor? Thank you!!!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Menace says thank you for the compliment. I think she's gorgeous but then I might be a little bias! :woot: How about a picture of Skitty? We'd love to see your little guy!

As far as offering a buffet of flavours, go for it. Variety is the spice of life! The only thing I would recommend is keeping the fish flavours to a max of a couple of times per week. There is the concern of mercury if fed as a steady diet.

MartyJean & Skitty likes this.
  5. MartyJean & Skitty

Sounds great! Skitty will be happy to keep the variety and I will keep the fish to a minimum. I tried to add Skitty's photo once, but failed miserably, I will try again!!! Thanks so much!