? Should I increase dose now?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MartyJean & Skitty, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartyJean & Skitty

MartyJean & Skitty New Member

Hello all-I posted a few days ago here and on the Vetsulin page, but haven't gotten any responses yet about the dosing. You are all so generous with you time, so I appreciate any input.

Original message: Hello, first of all, thank you so much for this forum! I am still studying and learning so much. After last week's curve test, the vet increased the dose to 3 u. I decided to hold off on increasing because I was weaning Skitty off dry food and was concerned about hypoglycemia. I only have a few days of testing recorded, but I was wondering if you could please check Skitty's SS. His BG seems stable, but high. He is completely off dry food as of 3 days ago. In the last few days Skitty has had a significant decrease in PD/PU and he is behaving more normal, even playful! Do you think it's time to increase the dose to get his BG #s closer to normal? Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I suggest keeping the same dose for at least another week. It takes several days for a cat's body to adjust to a dose change. If you do need to increase the dose, only raise it by 1/2 unit. Stay at least another week before changing it again. The goal is to find the dose that works best for him.

3. MartyJean & Skitty

MartyJean & Skitty New Member

Thank you!!!! My vet was not happy with me not increasing to 3 units already, but I agree that kitty needs time to adjust. I love this forum, cat people are the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.