SHOULD I INCREASE DOSE - VETSULIN?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by PAMELA ALLEN, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAMELA ALLEN

PAMELA ALLEN Member

My Max has been on 1 unit Vetsulin twice a day since Sunday - I had to work yesterday and today so I did not get to get mid day tests in on him but I do leave frozen food pods out for him although I don't think he has eating much of it. They are really missing their dry food! I have 3 others that are not diabetic and they are all mad at me!! My question - please look at Max's spreadsheet. His numbers are still on the high side before shot in mornings and preshot in the evenings - not sure how low they are dipping in between. I will be home the rest of the week so I am wondering should I increase his dose to 1.5 units starting with this evening dose and see what his number do tomorrow - as I will be able to test more?? I'm new - just diagnosed a few weeks ago and this is still trial and error - so please advise... Thank you

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Despite the forum's name, it isn't very active. You'll get more responses posting in Feline Health.
    I'm on my phone at the moment and it doesn't do spreadsheets.

OK. Got on my laptop.
    Since the nadir isn't going below 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer nor 68 mg/dL on a pet meter, increasing by 0.25 units (eyeballed) is warranted.
    Its a good idea to do increases when you can be home to monitor.
    Insulin doses are increased based on the nadir, the lowest glucose post-shot, NOT based on the pre-shot values.

Notice how tests from +10 and later seem to jump up? That can happen with Vetsulin/Caninsulin and reflects a lack of duration. You may wish to consider switching to BCP PZI or ProZinc when you finish the Vetsulin.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.