Should I skip the insulin shot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes. But, try stalling for an hour without feeding and recheck the number. If still low, skip.

3. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you. I have aready fed him, considering it took 3 hours from 94 to 127.

I will test at +3 hour and +5 or +6 hour to see how BG change.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  4. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

update:

PM shot skipped

feeding: 15g dry food + 1oz canned food

+ 3 hours reading 290

any suggestions?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have you had a chance to look at the information on dosing in the Prozinc forum?

A couple of suggestions...
    Please get a pre-shot test every single time you plan on giving insulin. Without a pre-shot test, you have no way of knowing whether it's safe to give insulin. Today was a good example. You also need to get at least one test during each cycle in addition to your pre-shot test. You need to know how low the dose is taking Nathan's numbers. The information will let you know if Nathan needs a dose increase or a reduction.

I'm not sure what dry food you're feeding Nathan. The vast majority of dry foods are high in carbohydrates. Looking at Nathan's numbers, you may be giving him one of the lower carb dry foods. Could you indicate what you're feeding your cat?

6. JanetNJ

ok not bad... ProZinc tends to peek at about 6 hours. If you skip the dry and just feed wet the numbers will improve.

7. JanetNJ

Wow it even dropped a bit more this morning! Great! Do keep an eye on him today... You may find you will have to reduce to 1.5 so you can get two shootable numbers.

8. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much.

I will test him today during the circle.

The dry food now I feed him each time is: 10g nutro feed clean wholesome essentials + 2-3g tiki cat born carnivore + 2-3g hill's science diet adult sensitive stomach & skin. It is a lot of words and won't fit in my signature.

They are NOT low carbs dry food. I am in the process of transitioning from mixture of dry/canned food to all canned food. But I am doing it slowly to avoid rapid drop of BG.

9. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much. I will test at +6 or +7 today.

I also hope feeding him all wet food will bring the BG even lower, but have to do the food transition very slowly.

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Yes. I will also test at PMPS today to see what BG will be. If it is low again, I will call the vet tomorrow and show him the numbers.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

PERFECT!

Liang & Nathan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.