Should I up Roo's dose back to 1 unit?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LittleRoo, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Hello! Little Roo has been doing okay thus far... I lowered her initial 1 unit of ProZinc down to 1/2 unit then up to 0.75 units. We've been pretty steady on the 0.75 for a while. Her numbers are still mostly in the mid to upper 200's. Should I head back up to 1 full unit?

I have also been wanting to get Roo a dental - as she needs one and she lost a tooth on July 22nd!! I had planned on getting her to the vet right after that but life stepped in and brought two tragedies for me. First my best friends father died and then my best friend, tragically himself :( It's been a rough few weeks here. I tried to get an appointment for last week but they were booked full. So I got the next available dental appointment - which will be this Friday, August 18th. She will get a full dental and also get a fructosamine test while there. I am hoping that a dental might also possibly help with her diabetes. I guess time will tell. I'm nervous about the dental of course and will just be glad when she is back home. I will take the day off to be around for her.

I gave her the regular 0.75 tonight.

Thanks for any insight!!

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about another close loss after a little over 2 weeks :bighug:. Little Roo's PS numbers are looking nice so I'm naturally curious to wonder where she's going during the day :smuggrin:. When is your next day off to grab some day tests? I'm kind of thinking stick with the 0.75U since her dental is this Friday. I would also suggest not bothering with the Fructosamine test and use that money for other supplies, like test strips ;). You're SS gather's way more valuable data than a Fructosamine test, which is kind of an average of BG numbers for past 2-3 weeks.

There was an influx of kitties getting dentals, some diabetic, so there are some threads on the Main Health forum that you could scroll through :)

LittleRoo likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep if you're getting a dental on Friday, I might stick to your dose for now and see what happens after. We've seen kitties get lower numbers after the dental, so hopefully the same will happen with Roo! I also agree that the fructosamine isn't necessary. It will give an average of BG numbers over the past few weeks, which you have with your SS! Try bringing that along and see what the vet says maybe?

I am sorry to hear about your losses...it's been tough lately for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LittleRoo and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you've had two huge losses so close together. :bighug::bighug:
    Roo's numbers aren't too bad at all. A dental should help. I agree about the fructosamine test - it's fairly $$ and you could put that money on FD supplies. Your SS is better info.

LittleRoo likes this.
  5. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Okay 0.75 for now sounds good. Thank you all for the wishes and advice. Been a tough few weeks now. I wish I could get some daytime numbers but work has been very busy so I can't even get home for lunch lately. This weekend I will try to get some numbers if I can. Yes, hoping the dental will help! Might also help her with her stinky breath! :) Maybe I should skip the fructosamine.. which is 60 bucks!! Should I print out my SS for my vet as well?

Thanks again!! :cat:

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I printed my SS out and brought it to my vet. She loved it! She never suggested a fructosamine again because she said I was doing great. The fructosamine gives you just such general information, and info you already have...so I would skip it! Use the money on other supplies (including maybe a bottle of wine for you!).

7. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Little Roo!!
    Just checking in to see how the little guy was doing:bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.