? SHOULD WE INCREASE YET?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DevilPup, Sep 11, 2018.

1. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

I know I've been told it takes time. I have also read don't chase the numbers with an increase too fast. Please look at our chart. I started Spike on one-half unit, then increased to 3/4 unit, then onto 1 full unit.
    What gets me crazy is every time we raise his dosage, his BGs increase!!! I'm afraid to raise his dosage because I'm afraid that will raise his BGs. They don't go down----they go UP!
    I don't know enough about this illness to really make an educated decision. Could it just be his other concurrent illnesses increasing his BGs? I'm pretty sure it would keep them up, but why would they be increasing? Could this increase be his diabetes getting worse and I'm not just not keeping up with the increasing illness by increasing his insulin dosage appropriately? Did that make sense?
    I'm trying to be patient and go slow, but I also feel I am responsible for his readings increasing. Prior to this last 7-10, he seemed to be bouncing. Now he seems like he's stabilizing, but staying "high."
    His lowest reading recently was in the mid-200s. I was going to raise him to 1.25 units tomorrow.
    What do you think? I need to talk this out....
    I know he's also currently experiencing his sinusitis/rhinitis issues lately. But he is on A/B and also gets regular steam baths. I just don't think the A/B are working anymore. Now I don't feel the insulin is working or I'm just not dosing him appropriately. Don't want to raise him too much. Am I just over thinking?
    I'm also thinking that his pancreatitis in lurking, but he seems okay, no flare. Gave him a cerenia today anyway and an ondansetron with his a/b. He is eating and drinking. No vomiting or diarrhea. Just sleeps a lot, sneezes and sounds like "stuff" in his sinuses. This poor cat can't catch a break.:(

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Are you following Tight Regulation or Start Slow Go Slow for dosing? Dose suggestions will vary based on that answer. It helps yo put either TR or SLGS in your signature to let people know.

Regardless of dosing method, if you hold the dose too long and he's seeing high numbers, glucose toxicity can develop. Even the more conservative SLGS has you increase after a week and you've held this last dose for 11 days, which is too long.

Feeling unwell or in pain can increase the BG numbers.

3. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

So, I "did" hurt him by not increasing fast enough? I updated my profile. SLGS. He is also basically in a "chronic" state of illness. He either is bothered by his sinusitis/rhinitis or pancreatitis. I increased another quarter unit this morning based on the dosing guidelines. We will hold until Sunday, then increase if necessary which I'm sure will be the case.

To clarify, I don't hold the dose (if still high) if he is experiencing illness (usually), hoping it will pass soon? Because that was my thought process in holding the dose longer. If this is correct, I will not hold the dose, but increase per dosing guidelines and continue to monitor more based on his concurrent illnesses.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018