Shuddering +

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sweetheart Pearl, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetheart Pearl

Sweetheart Pearl New Member

Hello, we are new to the site. I have attached my photo.
    I am reaching out with several questions and concerns
    and appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
    If you are permitted to email me directly,
    my email is: pearlhope2018@gmail.com.
    Thank you for all your help!
    Gratefully,
    Barbara, Sweetheart's mom

Sweetheart.png
    Sweetheart is a male cat about 15 years old.
    He was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 years ago.
    I give him 3 units of lantus twice a day.

1. For the past 2 months he will shudder. It is
    sporadic/random throughout the day. Does anyone
    have suggestions or experience with this
    kind of behavior?

2. I use the Alpha Trak for his glucose curves but
    only test every 3 months according to the Vet.
    She felt his numbers were OK and to continue
    the 3 units 2x/day.

Here is SH's recent curve taken on 6/10/18.
    1. 8:45 AM - 227
    2. 11:45 AM - 262
    3. 1:45 PM - 280
    4. 4:00 PM - 307
    5. 6:00 PM - 288
    6. 8:51 PM - 234

3. I would appreciate any feedback on the best
    diet for diabetic cats. SH has been on Purina
    DM and Hills MD and then a variety of wet
    foods from the local pet store.

4. Does anyone have suggestions for the
    best litter? I have been using Pine pellets
    and Pine clumping by Petsmart brand
    Exquiscat. However, recently I saw on
    the bag a warning. the product can "expose you to
    wood dust which is a chemical known to the state of
    CA to cause cancer." : (

5. SH had PU back in 2005 and is prone to
    Urinary Infections (UTI). I did a culture and
    here is the feedback from his Vet. If you
    have suggestions, please let me know, thanks!

She wrote:
    "I have SH's urine culture back from the lab. Unfortunately, there is some bad news with it. The results showed that SH has a staph bacterial infection that is showing resistance to most of the commonly used antibiotics used to treat infections. This situation is similar to MRSA bacteria that people get.

I do think that since SH has had so many UTIs, the bacteria are developing a resistance pattern due to the antibiotics we have used in the past.

In these situations, if the cat is asymptomatic (i.e. not urinating outside the litter box, not straining on urination, no blood in the urine) I do consider NOT treating these cats. The concern is if we continue to treat with this resistance pattern, there is a chance the bacteria will continue to become resistant to the few antibiotics we have left. In these situations, sometimes we create more harm than good in treating. If SH were then to every need antibiotics because he is showing symptoms, we may not have any good options left to treat him if the bacteria continues to become resistant."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Barbara and Sweetheart. I suggest that you copy and paste your post in the Main Forum, more eyes to see as more and experienced members monitor that forum to help with emergencies, concerns and questions. It would be very helpful if you would create a signature that will be attached to and display with each of your posts, so that it is readily available to all who read and you won't be asked to repeat information on Sweetheart. Just select your user name in the upper right hand corner of the page, and then select Signature. Enter info such as kitty's gender, age, weight, diagnosis date, type of insulin,dosage, type of home testing meter, what type of food, any other medical conditions, any pertinent information. I wish you well with these concerns and with Sweetheart's continuing care.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I see that you found your way to the main health forum.

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara. If you're in the main forum (I haven't looked) you've probably gotten more help and may have noticed we have our own private mail system. I don't want to turn this into a creep-fest but it's probably better not to publish your private e-mail address here. Everything I've ever posted here can be dug up if you look hard enough. You might be able to delete that post using the delete button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.