? SICK KITTY WON'T EAT NEED INFO ABOUT GIVING INSULIN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa & Buddy, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

MY kitty Buddy has chronic pancreatitis, I did not realize that he was sick until time to feed and give shot. He will not eat, I have given around 5cc of Nutri Cal. I also have given him meds for pain and nausea. He is not throwing up, but he has a diarrhea. Has anyone ever gave insulin on Nutri-Cal, his doctor has told me in the past if I could not get him to eat at shot time to give him the Nutri-Cal, but since he is sick I am afraid he will get low and I can not get him to eat. I am not up to date on my SS, this is the first time I could not get him to eat with an appetite stimulant. Any suggestions I would appreciate, also help with the water diarrhea. I am hours past shot time.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Your SS has not been updated since January as far as I can see. It is hard to give dosing advice without any data.
    If you kitty is sick and won’t eat and has watery diarrhoea, I think you need to take him to the vet for assessment. He could be dehydrated and in need of fluids.
    Are you checking for ketones in the urine?
    I would strongly advise you to buy a bottle of KETOSTIX from the pharmacy if you don’t have any. Ketones can lead to DKA which is a very serious illness. The recipe for DKA is not enough insulin, not enough food and an infection or inflammation. And Buddy seems to have all three at the moment.
    What anti nausea meds have you given Buddy? You say you are hours past shot time. How many hours are you past shot time now and what is his insulin dose at the moment? Is it Lantus?

BTW. Buddy is gorgeous. I am very partial to ginger boys.

3. Teresa & Buddy

4. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy, is on Lantus, he takes 6.5u to 6.75u, shot time was 9:30 pm. His vet is not in tomorrow, but I will find some one. I have been using Ketone test strips, I just missed a pee, he is now squirting poop every where. I have given him a dose of Mert, bupe, cerenia, ondan, I hope something starts to help. I am going to lay down, but I will set my clock and get up and check on him. He has really watery diarrhea.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Hi
    I’m glad you have some ketones strips. Are you able to get a urine sample to test? It would be good to know one way or the other if he has any ketones as it changes the picture.

I’m in Australia so don’t know how far past 9.30 you are now. We usually say +2 for 2 hours past etc as we are all in different parts of the world.
    I saw that @Chris & China answered you on the other forum and said you might need to skip tonight’s dose as Buddy wasn’t eating.
    Try and get some fluids into Buddy at least or some food if you can. Plain boiled pumpkin mashed with nothing else added is very good for diarrhoea. A teaspoon three times a day. Or you can buy canned pumpkin in the US which is just as good. Just make sure there is nothing else added. Just plain pumpkin.
    If he’s no better in the morning and not eating I would definitely see a vet as you need to be able to give insulin.
    Please keep us updated. :bighug:
    Bron

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I see we cross posted.
    With the watery diarrhoea I would try and get some fluids into him.

7. Teresa & Buddy

It is 1:22 a.m. I am going to lay down so I can get up and start calling vets tomorrow.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I Thank Both of you nice ladies for replying, his litter box is smelling.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Poor boy. Diarrhoea is horrible

10. Teresa & Buddy

I just got a new pack of Insulin from Canada and he started that on Sat., wonder what it would look like if it had been frozen.

11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Is it clear without floaters?

12. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, it is clear no floaters. I tried Basaglar and used 3 pens, decided to put him back on Lantus and did on Saturday.

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you managed to get a urine sample or give any fluids?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.