Side Effects from Prozinc?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stephanie Howard, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Howard

Stephanie Howard Member

My cat JJ has been on Prozinc since October of last year. Has anyone seen any side effects because of it? My cat has an open sore on his right paw. it started off very small but has grown over time. I had the vet look at it when I first saw it and she said to keep it covered. I kept it covered til it held but its now back.

thank you for any help

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

My apologies, Stephanie but I don't quite understand why you would think that is related to the insulin. Do you think it's contributing to the sore growing? Or something else?

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Stephanie, I've never heard of anything like that related to insulin. Did the sore start right after he started insulin or is it recent?

4. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Could it be from his nails getting over grown?
    Contact allergies?
    Do you poke his paws?
    I never saw any physical side effects like that with prozinc.
    Hope he heals quick!

5. Stephanie Howard

Stephanie Howard Member

thank you for all the responses. It did start about 6 months ago. I don't believe this is caused by the insulin. I think I just got ahead of myself when I noticed the sore. I will try and post a picture and see what your thoughts are. the sore has healed but then comes back. I have it covered now and make him wear his favorite cone, but it does have a bump and does get bloody when he messes with it. Now its covered and dried out

Attached Files:

StephG likes this.
  6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that's very odd. The vet has no idea? I'm really not sure what that is at all...

Might try posting on health too...more eyes there. Try a subject line like "Wound on paw that keeps coming back" with a question mark to get some attention. It's possible SOMEONE out there has seen something like this!

7. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I'm not a vet for sure but I wonder if that is a histiocytoma... My dog gets them but usually they heal on their own after about 3 months. That is pretty big IMO. I would see about getting it checked out at the vet to rule out other harmful possibilities.
    For my DOG, the vet told me to use cortisone 10 or similar anti itch cream but not to let her lick it for 45 minutes to an hour after applying. I don't know if it's safe to use on cats, maybe someone else will know that and can answer that.

8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

This is after she licked it raw. It is a lump the size of half a grape. Just uploading for comparison. Again this is my dog!

Attached Files:

9. Stephanie Howard

Stephanie Howard Member

thank you for the response. I'm gonna post on a health form and see if anyone else has experience this

StephG likes this.
  10. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Please take her to the vet ASAP. It sounds like it may be a tumor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.