*sigh* Help help? Numbers going down?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jeanne & Dottie, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Sorry to post again.

Ok, as we approached Dottie's targed hour for her midnight shot 1/19/16, her BG, which had been very slowly climbing during the evening...

6:26pm BG 144
    9:04pm BG 172
    11:43pm BG 182

12:30am BG 165 So she's dropping instead of going up. I zipped over to the Prozinc/PZI forum and the protocol said if the BG keeps climbing just after the PMeal test, give it 20 minutes or so, and retest to see if her own levels were still climbing. If they were climbing I could go ahead and give a smaller insulin dose than the one I planned to give.

But they aren't climbing. Instead, they dropped further. No food before the retest so she really is on the way down. I guess I shouldn't give her even a drop of insulin, right? Her system seems to bottom out/nadir about 9 hours after her shot...that would put her nadir at 9:30 am. I am afraid with any insulin added, she'll crash and burn.

So I just fed her. She was ravenous, a sure sign to me that her sugar was going to drop fast. She's a cat who eats to live. She doesn't eat to live, unless she's on dry food. Then she's a hogjaws. No insulin again. :banghead:

I almost want to feed her a little higher carb food like Friskies pate, just so I can get her insulin regulated. But that's like throwing trash on the floor so I could watch a Roomba run around cleaning it up, yes?o_O

Note: I'm not calling Friskies trash. It was the only picture image I could think of at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Mogmom and Goofus and Cat girl like this.
  2. Likameow

Likameow Member

I'm not an expert on dosing but 182 and 165 are really close in numbers. Well within the margin of error of a glucometer. So I'm not sure that I could consider it "dropping". I definitely looks like you are getting some help from her pancreas. I'll be honest, I'd kill for a spreadsheet like that. If it were Ben, I'd give a 0.5 U dose or even draw up 0.5 then let a few drops out to make an approx. 0.25U dose and make sure to check him about +5-+7. It didn't look like she had a huge drop to 0.5 dose the night before.

And FF chunky has just a little higher carbs. 7% as opposed to 3%. That's what I given Ben when his PS # is a little lower than I'd like but I still want to dose him.

BTW, I love, love your Roomba analogy. :)

3. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

LOL, thanks. I want a Roomba in the worst way :p. It would be worth having one to watch Gizmo ride around on it.

I think tomorrow night if her numbers do the same, I'll do a drop-shot, just to see what will happen. Too late now, I am trying to get her on a midnight and noon shot schedule.

Olive & Paula and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It'll be much easier to try the .25 dose when you get the syringes with the half unit markings too

Somebody's been watching too many YouTube videos..... I think most cats would run for their lives!!!....LOL

5. Likameow

Likameow Member

Me, too. But I'm sure my skittish Siamese would never come out of the linen closet again.

Critter Mom and Jeanne & Dottie like this.
  6. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

LOL dunno. Gizmo is my Type A kitty. He's a terror. The only thing that scares him is my monster vacuum, and that thing scares me too.:woot:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Great analogy! :)

8. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

. Here is the human meter 20% range that helped me see what people were saying

Attached Files:

9. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

First, don't ever feel bad that you need to post again, that's what this place is all about. We've all been in your position at one time, so we're all happy to help, just as those before us helped us. :) I think I'd try sticking to food that's around that 3 carb level and see what happens.

Second, your Roomba analogy made me laugh! I've often thought to have one would be kind of fun, but I know my kitties would be terrified! :nailbiting:

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you were wise not to shoot, Jeanne. Lately she has a history of dropping on her own so we are thinking her pancreas may be helping out. And unfortunately you can't be sure when it might decide to wake up or go back to sleep awhile.

The 0.5 dose seems to be too much. The 0.25 might be good for a 180/200 but if that makes you nervous, you can try the drop technique.

PS. DH and I gave each other the Roomba for Christmas . (After 33 years, there isn't much we want or need, so our gifts tend to be joint and practical). The cat sits up on a chair and watches it nervously. And have to admit, the first few days, so did DH and I. But no one in the house has tried to jump on.....

11. Critter Mom

@Sue and Oliver (GA) -

Just brainstorming here.

When Saoirse was heading for remission and only needed a tiny dose of insulin I used the technique of pressing the syringe plunger in as far as it would go and then releasing it while the needle was in the insulin vial. It used to sip up a tiny drop of insulin and the teensy droplet size was fairly consistent. Do you think using such a technique might help Jeanne?

Mogs

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sure. Any method to get just a drop should be helpful.

13. Critter Mom

@Sue and Oliver (GA) - Thanks for the reply. I'll try to do a little 'how to' note for Jeanne later. (Extra tired today; had a session with my case manager earlier on.)

Mogs

14. Critter Mom

Hi Jeanne

Can you keep hold of a used syringe and set it to one side, please? It will be handy for practising drop dosing.

Mogs

15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I want a Roomba soooo bad. Don't think my kitties would ride it though.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Sorry to not have answered sooner. Yes, I can keep a practice syringe nearby. And I do have a magnifier/mirror! That is a big help when doing small doses.

Vet gave me an Rx for syringes today at my request, instead of insisting I order through him. That's good. I didn't go to Walmart today, though. I am too tired to be sure of safe driving. So tomorrow I will go pick them up.

Sue, I got a great image of you in my head, standing on a chair to get away from the Roomba. I wonder if a Roomba wouldn't be dangerous for me. I am constantly stumbling over stuff that doesn't move. A moving object might be a deadly tripper-upper for me.

As for the cats...our Gizmo is such a Rambo, (shoulda named him that :p) that he would likely try to tackle a Roomba straight off. Dottie, otoh, would go to her hiding place under the bathroom sink cabinet. She doesn't take change or innovations well.

17. Critter Mom

Love the avatar photo, Jeanne. :cat:

Sorry I didn't get to post about how to do a single tiny droplet tonight. Saoirse threw a pyjama party and now she's OK I'm about to pass out. I'll try to write it out tomorrow (provided I'm not completely wiped out after today).

Mogs

18. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Yiks, go to bed, Mogs. :bighug:You can't help Saoirse or anyone else if you're face down on the keyboard! Sleep well!

19. Critter Mom

Keyboard schmeyboard. When the Mogster passes out she does it properly: face down on a Mars Bar.

:p

(Not kidding. :oops:)

Cat girl and Chris & China (GA) like this.
  20. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Really she passed out on a mars bar?!bet that was messy melted mess!LOL:p

21. Critter Mom

It was me that passed out on the Mars Bar. I woke up to find it stuck to the side of my head. :oops:

And it certainly was messy: it was half-eaten, hence its superior adhesive properties. :rolleyes:

(BTW my proper nickname is Moglet, but I am also variously called Moggie, Mogs, Mogster.)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  22. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:DHa! I just tried your micro dosing method and I think it's a great idea and yes I can do it it is what I'm going to do for Dottie in 15 minutes after I retest again. I know this will move her shot times forward by about an hour Perhaps but I've got to get this day numbers down. So tonight I am going to administer a micro dose of one drop Different numbers climb within the next 15-20 minutes.
    Did you get the Mars Bar out of your hairline this morning, Mogs? And don't forget to lick the keyboard there's got to be chocolate in there somewhere.

Sometimes I use a chocolate brownie instead of a lunesta pill at night. It really works just the same, but the problem is, I would put on an extra 10 pounds if I did that all the time. :p Hubby would be able to roll me down the street with a stick, like a bicycle hoop.

23. Critter Mom

@Jeanne Skadowski -

That's some visual image of you and your hubby! :eek::)

I'm glad to hear that I managed to convey sufficient info to you in my earlier post to enable you to try the microdose technique, Jeanne.

The Mars Bar Incident was a few years ago, BTW. I still pass out with unsettling frequency but these days I make sure there are no sticky comestibles in the immediate vicinity. :oops:

Mogs

24. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

So funny!i have passed out with candy bar in my hand or gum in my mouth but never face down in it!LOL

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

The face down trick requires a lot of skill ...

Cat girl likes this.
  26. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

You must teach me this skill master.....:eek:(bows)

Jeanne & Dottie and Critter Mom like this.
  27. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Write a book!:bookworm: "The Tao of FDOMB. (Face down on Mars Bar)

Cat girl and Critter Mom like this.
  28. Critter Mom

Patience, Grasshopper.

:D

Cat girl likes this.
  29. Critter Mom

Great. Now I'll never be able to look at the abbreviation FDMB the same way again ... :rolleyes:

:D

Cat girl and Jeanne & Dottie like this.
  30. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Same here I keep seeing "face down on Mars bar!"every time I see that abbreviation now.that is so funny.lol:D

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Yikes! I didn't notice the similarity!

32. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Snuck a peek at Dottie's spreadsheet, Jeanne. Looks like 0.5 on the yellows is keeping her in good ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.