Sillci...Update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hope + (((Baby)))GA, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

UPDATE;

Spine is okay. Knees are terrible. Boney fragments, swollen areas. Doesn't think just taking off weight is going to be the answer although it has to help some. Vet thinks she's in constant pain which is why she takes tiny steps so no pressure on each leg for any length of time. Starting dasequin, getting pain shot, and steroid (I know we don't normally like steroids but if it helps swelling and some pain then I'll just have to watch her bg.), still trying to reduce weight. Re-evaluate in one month. Vet says we need to control pain; she doesn't feel like it's fair to Sillci to have her in daily pain. Suggests if we can't control the pain then it's more humane to pts. No, no, no! I'll research the drugs you all suggest and will discuss w/vet.

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

awwwwwwww poor sillci. I know the very best will be done to make her pain free and comfy.

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

oh gosh :sad: i hurt just reading this :sad:

(((sillci)))

wonder if acupuncture may help relieve some of the pain?

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I used steroids for Henry, he had a spinal issue, can't recall what it's name was, but he looked like a dinasaur the way his spine curved, the discs were separating. Giving pred is best at night, don't know the technical reason, but the body absorbs it better at night. Jojo could explain the mechanics behind that

Are you giving Buprenex for pain? You can give that oral or injection. I'd probably go straight for injection rather than having to put Sillci in any discomfort by holding her head to give it to her orally.

I wish the news was better.

Nothing on the heart?

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Has your vet mentioned Adequan? It is an injectible version of glucosamine and it has helped Angus a lot. It is FDA approved for horses and dogs, but my vet got info from VIN that it works equally well in cats. Also, FDA approval is for IM injection, but it works subQ as well. Angus got two shots per week for the first four weeks, and now gets one shot per month. He still has a bit of pain and stiffness, so we are considering increasing shots to every other week.

I sure hope something can be done for Sillci.

6. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Is there any way they can take the bone chips out? Would anti-inflammatories help? There was an article a couple of weeks ago about a cat in the UK who had knee replacement surgery, but I don't know that Sillci's general health would allow it.

((Sillci)) + ((Hope))

-- Jean and her Gwyn

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Dale. Darn. Well now you know what's going on, and knowing the problem is a big part of knowing the answer.

8. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

How in the world did her previous owner let her go on like that without doing anything to help?

9. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> How in the world did her previous owner let her go on
    > like that without doing anything to help?

I think the P.O. was the main cause of this problem, given Sillci's weight and the fact that they kept the litterbox on top of the %^&*#& washer. Can*not* have been at [u}all[/u] helpful to have to keeping jumping up and down off the *$@& thing!

10. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

After she's lost a good amt of weight, it might be worth consulting an orthopedist if there is one in the area and s/he does arthroscopy. I don't know exactly what's wrong with the knees so I can't say for sure, but in some cases the arthritis can be "cleaned up" a bit. I have a feeling, though, when she loses the weight she will feel tremendously better and simple medical management will suffice. Please do keep us posted on this (now) very lucky girl.

Jess

EDITED to add: Dale I meant to say yesterday ... You mentioned seeing a cardiologist? I was going to give you a heads up that when/if you x-ray her chest her heart is likely to be encased in fat which makes it look enormous. I wouldn't worry about it -- the echo will show you her true heart size, if she gets one. Jojo's SD has a big fat-encased heart too, that's why I got him an echo after his rescue, but his heart is normal.

11. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I do know that my vet was convinced of cosequin when she had a client whose cat had such terrible bone chips and nothing helped. She gave the client a box as a last resort and when they came back a few months later she couldn't believe the change in the cat. So, there is hope between the supplements and eventual weight loss Sillci could really improve. I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.