Silly question about catnip

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura bb, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Does anyone know if catnip is still ok for kitties. Nermal LOVES catnip-he will roll in in and eat it. My boyfriend poured a HUGE amount down on the floor for all my 3 kitties. Was wondering if this elevated blood glucose since they go CRAZY over it?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's fine

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Ok good! I was comcerned with the huge amount he poured. Thank you

5. Noah & me (GA)

How huge is huge? Ours go bonkers for a sprinkle.
    But that's what guys do right? :rolleyes:

Laura bb likes this.
  6. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Like a whole cup full on the floor, Nermal gets himself covered in it and then licks it up.

7. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I've heard that if they ingest enough of it that cat nip can cause some stomach distress (diarrhea or very loose stool)

8. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Thank you, I am going to make sure it is sparingly. It was a debate in my household.

9. Noah & me (GA)

I'm pretty sure they don't need to ingest it, just smelling it is enough.
    Everyone has seen a dog eat grass and then yak it up. That's why we're always running out of paper towels. :blackeye:

10. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

I agree its best if they don't ingest it and just sniff and rub on it. Sketch had toys with catnip in them or rubbed into them. That said Laura had said that her boyfriend dumped a cup of catnip on the floor and Nermal would roll in it and then groom himself and lick it off thereby ingesting it which could then possibly cause some stomach (more likely intestinal issues).

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  11. Noah & me (GA)

Complete agreement here. I've seen too many bags with twigs better left un-swallowed.
    We have a belligerent cat that takes all the fun out of catnip, gets real nasty and thinks it's all about him.

Jeff D / Sketch and Laura bb like this.
  12. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Dusty goes nuts over it, completely nuts, but then my civie Beni could care less. He just watches Dusty rolling in it and wonders what's going on. :woot:

Laura bb likes this.
  13. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Yea my crazy thinking just wanted to make sure it did not raise his blood glucose some how!! Nermal has always LOVED catnip, just loved it! Nermal becomes very fiesty over it, he rolls in it, smells it like a crazy cat and then he eats it. I wonder sometimes if catnip is like a happy drug for him! My other cats go crazy over it too! Catnip amazes me it`s like he acts like ME when I smell a really good cheese pizza. I do not know much about catnip-I know I have seen it in tea(for humans) at a health foodstore.

14. Mommy2cats

Mommy2cats New Member

Does anyone happen to know if diabetic cats can have any negative effects from playing with a catnip-filled mouse? (Like the $1 ones they sell at Walmart- the ones that have the dried catnip already in them). Sorry if this sounds ignorant lol

15. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

No there should be no impact. It'll be good for them to get some stimulation and fun.

Laura bb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.