Silverado's IGF-1 is 349

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jane & Boo (GA), Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I guess this makes it official.

I was hoping to start him on Lev this week, but my vet is telling me that she isn't comfortable prescribing something that she is not familiar with. I've already given her information that I found on the web from an Australian vet, but she wants an American vets input. Nancy gave me the name of a vet who offers consults through VIN, but my vet needs to be a member of their network to take advantage of that. I'll find out tomorrow if they are members, but I would venture a guess that they are not since it is a web based organization. In the meantime I have PM'd Nancy to see if her vet will talk to my vet about the Levemir. Anyone else have any suggestions or any peer reviewed documentation to provide? (American, of course.)

Jane & Silverado

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. It's good to finally know, officially. Now you have your explanation.

I wish I could help you with the vet thing, but in Canada, I just go to the pharmacy and ask for whatever insulin I want.

I am sorry that your vet does not feel comfortable with giving you the insulin that will help Silverado. It is sad when a vet will not work with the client, all because of a lack of knowledge. Just curious, but what knowledge does your vet have on acromegaly. Mine knows zip, but never once told me that I should stick with using Caninsulin. I asked about Lantus and she said sure, try it.

I know that others have been forced to jump through hoops by their vet; I am sure they will have good advice. I'd just tell my vet to give me the rx or I'll take my 2 acros to another vet.

Anyways, I hope you are feeling better now that you have some answers.

3. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I had just asked my clinic about Lev before I had KB's Lantus prescription renewed. The last vet that saw him (once) said she doesn't have any other clients using it and thought he seemed to be doing well on Lantus. I didn't push it but maybe next time.

There are lots of people using Lev now. Maybe Carolyn's vet (VA)? Or Dr. Lunn?

( And hugs to you and Silverado. )

4. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

By her own admission, she knows nothing about acromegaly. And that is what is contributing to her apprehension. She feels that if she is going to put her license on the line, she wants to know what she needs to know. I have to respect that. I am sure that she will come around... I just need to help her do that.

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Jane,

Sorry about the results. Just in case you are interested, Dr. Lunn @ CSU has a drug trial going on right now. It's not a long term solution, but it would get your vet hooked up with someone that DOES know about acromegaly.

You might want to PM Sienne/Gabby - I'll bet she has a document on Levemir. I know I saw one floating around at some point.

6. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hi Jane,
    I'm sorry as I haven't been around much but I did want to send a welcome to you. I'm sorry you have to be a part of this group but also hope that some of what we've learned over the last several years will now help you abit.

You mentioned that your vet doesn't know much about acro. The sticky at the top may be something you might print out for her. It's got some links and some info in it that may be helpful to her and to you.

also if you don't mind - I'd like to add your name to our sticky list too -

I"ll be looking for your updates and for now sending the warmest of thoughts to you and Silverado!

7. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Patti, thanks for the warm welcome. Finding this group has been a blessing.

And yes, you may include my name in the sticky.

Cheers.
    Jane & Silverado

8. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Try this: Lantus & Levemir - what's the difference?

I printed this out, and took it to our Vet...

Good luck and sorry you got the IGF-1 results that you did - but like us, at least now you know what you are up against, finally!

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

So Silverado must suffer because your vet has no knowledge on the condition?

Why not ask your vet to look up some info online, offer Dr. Lunn's name and start bringing herself up to speed on something that is likely very much more common than she realizes.

I don't see why your cat should suffer any delay in changes because of the vet's lack of knowledge. I know for a fact that one of my cats does much better on Lev than Lantus.

My vet office has two acro cats as clients.... both mine. Before that, they had zero and knew nothing on the condition. They fought me on even testing Shadoe, but once her results came back positive, they shut right up and have gone along with what I have been doing.

I inundated my vets with info, everything I could find out and print out. I never show up there without some sort of info. I do not allow their lack of info hold back my cats' treatment.

You're the boss. Your cat. Your decisions. Your money. Your responsibility. Your hand giving the shots.

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I agree with what has been said so far -- maybe it would help if you assure your vet that you accept full responsibility for using Levemir if she will write the prescription?

My first 5-pack I bought from Canada before they required a prescription from US buyers. After that, I just told my vet that Tiggy was on Lev, and I needed a refill. I showed her my records and had her do a fructosamine, which proved he was well regulated on it. She no longer argued about writing the prescription but I did have to tell her to write it for the 5-pack of 3ml cartridges

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.