Simba hypo on only 1 U of Lantus today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Simba went hypo today at 2pm +4 on only 1 U Lantus and only m/d wet food. He was down at 1.0 - 18 - when I caught him. He ate some dry m/d food and I gave him 20 ml dextrose, and after 30 minutes he was up at 3.2 - 58.

I know we usually say here they are not likely to go hypo on only 1 U of Lantus, but it is possible as I learnt today.

It's Simba second hypo in 4 weeks.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh Ann! Sending prayers for Simba right away. I know you caught him but still scary.
    jeanne

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Ann, if this is the second hypo in 4 weeks you need to reduce Simba's insulin. My Maggie was on Lev, and she hypo'd on 1 unit, too. You might try .5 unit and see what happens with his numbers. If they are too high, then try .75 unit.

4. Ann & Scatcats

Yes, definitely no insulin for Simba tonight and tomorrow morning and we start all over from scratch tomorrow.

5. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Oh! Bless you Ann! Lucky of you to catch that on time! Was that a normal testing time or did you notice anything different with Simba?

6. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has ever said a cat cannot have hypo/low BGs on 1U or even less of insulin. What we see for the most part with Lantus and Levemir is that on lower doses they have hypo BGs with few or no symptoms of a hypo, that's why when we catch these lows it's kind of a surprise.

What symptoms did you see that lead you to test him? Also, if he has BGs in the 200s or 300s after a low on 1U, why not give .5U tonight rather than allow him to skyrocket with no insulin on a probable rebound?

7. Ann & Scatcats

Vicky,

He hasn't eaten his wet food so that is why he stays off the insulin, so I'll get a curve on him starting tonight.

8. Ann & Scatcats

Tortie,

+4 wasn't normal testing time unless it is a curve day, which yesterday wasn't. Previously he has hypod around +5 to +6, but never as early as +4. It was the first time.

The kitchen is next to the bedroom and while I changed cloths I saw he was laying on the kitchen threshold - something he only does if there is something wrong. Then I saw his face was twitching, as cramping, and his head and front legs too - and that is a sign with Simba that he is very low and hypo. From there I am very fast in making the dextrose solution, give him that and testing him.

9. Ann & Scatcats

Simba's curve on no insulin:

pm 12.1 - 218
    12 hr
    am 17.0 - 306
    +3 16.6 - 290
    +6 overslept
    +9 15.9 - 286
    +12 13.5 - 243
    12hr
    am 15,3 - 270

gave him o.5 U this am

10. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Simba has definitely earned a reduction! With a number that low, I'd go to .5U and do a full curve after 3-5 days to see what the numbers are looking like, unless Simba drops too low again, and then you'd want to reduce again immediately.

ECID. My cat has hit low 40's on just 0.1U, others never touch 50 or lower on a much higher dose.

11. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

How very scary! You probably want to keep a closer eye on him restarting the insulin. Those higher number could be a bounce off the lows, the dry food and other stuff used to bring him up.

1 u usually feels safe, but every cat is different and cats can be more sensitive to insulin after they've experienced a hypo, so that first one might have contributed and having had two definitely earns a reduction and a close eye.

12. Ann & Scatcats

This is truly an enigma - he hasn't eaten today and his numbers have been

Yesterday at 10am - 15.5 - 279

Today
    10am - 6.6 - 119
    +6 6.2 - 112
    +12 6,9 - 124

Unless he starts to eat his full day amount of food, I won't give him insulin on those low numbers.

And I HIGHLY doubt he is in remisson after 6 long years :roll:

13. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Good to see you posting again, sorry it's with news of hypos. You guys have had many changes over the past few weeks. Maybe it's not unthinkable that he could be wanting to go OTJ.

On ProZinc, Eukonobu was at death's door a few weeks ago. He'd stopped eating, and was having other issues. Then he started eating again, and came back much stronger... only to have his numbers drop to healthy cat numbers. His person went away and boarded him for a weekend, then came back to a high number, but has since seen the numbers coming back down. Remission is actually in sight for him... so, I guess it's safe to say that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. Seems funny that some kitties go through something really bad, then come back and fight Mr. P. w/ a vengeance - and get him to straighten up! Maybe Simba has done just that!

Good for you for being on top of his situation! ...and so quickly as well! Great job!

Take care,
    Lu-Ann

14. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

His lower numbers are possibly related to not eating.
    How long has he gone without food?

15. Ann & Scatcats

He eats bits and pieces. But never a full meal.

16. Ann & Scatcats

There is really no rhyme and reason to this.

Last night he hadn't touched his food, yet did he have 10.6 - 214 at 10am this morning.

This is really an enigma and never happened before.

17. Grayson & Lu

Ann,

Nothing else going on with him? Did he normally eat big meals - or is this a new development?

18. Ann & Scatcats

Lu-Ann

He free feeds during the day and night and usually finish all his food.

So this is a new development.

19. Grayson & Lu

Other than his preshot, his numbers were non-diabetic yesterday. That's great! How are they today?

20. Ann & Scatcats

I can't test him at his +6 at 4pm since I have to go away, but will test him at +12 10pm tonight.

21. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Are you able to get Simba to the vet? I'm not sure what bits and pieces mean...if he is getting enough food or not to ward off complications?

Your signature says he has had pancreatitis before. I wonder if he is having a flare?

22. Ann & Scatcats

Yea, I'll take him to the vet, his half year check up is due soon anyway.

23. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Good luck at the vet, hope there's not some underlying problem. Head scratches for Simba.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.