Simba is sick again - Update 6th Mars

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

He has been very sick since last year 2011. First two major seizures of some sort during 2011 and then a lot of diarrhea and vomiting. Then he started to have every day diarreha with a lot of blood in. But chriscleo told me to try and give him cortisone if I had. And Gustav had some for his cancer so I took Gustavs last ones and started Simba on 2 tablets of 2.5 mg Prednisolon first day, January 7th, and then 1 tablet of 2.5 mg a day for 12 days until Jan 19th. And from he got the cortisone no blood in the poop anymore and have been fine with diarreha and blood in until today.

He got so bad diarreha he can't make it all the way to the toilet, instead poops just outside of it on the bathroom floor. He is a very good boy trying to hold out until he is in the toilet but just can't. And his intestines and stomach just bubbles and boils loudly.

So 1 month after the 12 days of cortison he has been fine, but now the diarreha and blood in the poop is back. And 30 mintues after he vomitted a lot.

I will take him to the vet but Gustav has to go first this time, since he is sick too.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Simba is sick again

Ann,

No words of advice, rather I hope your gang start feeling better very soon.

3. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I'm sorry they're sick, Ann. I wish you could take them in together. Won't your vet work with you on money if you explain the situation? You really have your hands full. I hope they feel better soon.

Melanie & Racci

4. Ann & Scatcats

I have to take them one by one, because each have so many complicated things that needs to be checked so I don't want to confuse the vet.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ann, is Simba having problems stepping into the box? If yes, what about cutting the opening to be much lower so he can just walk into the box.

Shadoe had problems with her bladder and when I put a step in front of the box, it was simpler for her to step into the box.

Hope they both feel better soon.

6. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

Poor Simba. :sad: Hugs to both of you. I know this is so difficult. I really hope he feels better soon.

7. Ann & Scatcats

No, it is only when he has urgent diarreha. It's so urgent he can't make it all the way to the litter box.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{hugs}}

If you let the vet know that cortisone helped, maybe he would give you some until you can bring Simba in to see him.

9. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Are you back from the vet yet?

Yes, I can see why that would be confusing both for you and the vet. What a drag. I sure hope it isn't bad news but some good for a change.

Melanie & Racci

10. Ann & Scatcats

Gustav has his vet appointment Tuesday next week. But if Simba gets any worse I'll take him in direct, the animal hospital is open 24/7 for emergencies.

11. Suzanne&Grey

Suzanne&Grey Member

Would laying down some plastic drop cloth help with the clean up? Or puppy pee pads? Just trying to think of other things that might help you out. I have no advice about the diarrhea though, it sounds like you have a pretty good thing going with that. Well, maybe Slippery Elm Bark? Before going to raw I tried that and got gelatinous poo out of mine, which helped a bit with cleaning up the mess.

Best of luck to you and lots of hugs!

Suzanne

12. Susan D

Susan D Member

Ann,

I am so sorry to hear that Simba is sick and that Gustave is having problems, too. I understand totally. It is hard not to just worry so when this happens.

Simba's situation sounds somewhat like when my angel Orlando had IBD, and the prednisone (at that time, my vet was giving prednisone rather than prednisolone) really helped him a lot.

Thinking of both of your kitties, and I am sending you a lot of thoughts that both are restored to being well very soon. Hang in there and take care.

Susan

13. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Sorry to hear that both your cats are sick, and sending love to poor old Simba. My husband is a transplant recipient on predisolone, he has had trouble in that way this past 20 years. It also gives him the shakes and makes him jumpy sometimes. Prednisolone is no picnic (but its better than losing your kidney transplant!) and in humans, you have to change the dose very slowly. Confusing though, it sounds like the diarrhea and growling belly started before the prednisolone so might not "just" be a side effect.
    I hope your vet can help.

14. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear that Simba is sick.

I hate to borrow trouble for you, but Mr. Kitty had that runny bloody diarrhea and it
    turned out to be bowel cancer.

I hope that is not the case for your Simba.

Best thoughts and prayers I'm sending your way.

15. Ann & Scatcats

That's good to know, because it is the blood that really concerns me. Why and where it is coming from.

16. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for dear Simba.
    jeanne

17. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hopefully both are feeling better soon! Good luck to you all!

18. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Any news?

19. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Please let's us know ASAP about Simba vet visit.

I am praying for both of you.
    Jenn & Baxter

20. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Karen and Ann,
    If the blood stops with the meds, then is it possible to rule out what Mr. Kitty had?

I am thinking if the meds helped and stopped both the blood and diarrhea, then you need more of that med either for a longer period of time or something that's given indefinitely.

I hope you can let us know how Simba visit went soon, Ann.

21. Ann & Scatcats

Update on Simba

He haven't seen the vet yet, but Simba has now been on Flagyl antibiotics for 15 days, and during those days no blood in the poop and no diarreha. He finish the Flagyl tomorrow and then I'll see if the blood and diarreha comes back.

22. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

:YMHUG:
    Hoping for all good things!

23. Ann & Scatcats

Thank you, Jenn :)

24. Grayson & Lu

Hi Ann -

Sounds like the AB did well. Hope the situation is officially corrected. How's Gustav?

25. Ann & Scatcats

Lu-Ann, I think Gustav has early stage of anemia since his red blood cells are toward the lower end of what is normal. He then also have low albumin, too high protein (immunglobulins) and too high BUN, and high blood pressure with cardio hypertrophy as result and a heart murmur. Then again he is 17 and probably what one can suspect him to have a little ailements. Apart from that he is alert, acting fine and looks fine, he doesn't look his age.

26. Grayson & Lu

Although it sounds like a lot, for a senior citizen it sounds like he's doing really well! And happy - that's very important! You're a great bean to have babies live to become seniors!

27. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Lu-Ann, I am so sorry about your kitty. Is the diarrhea still bad? I want to share with you on the stopping of diarrhea for my Rosy. She did not have diarrhea for 3 days after I start her on a 3 meal canned a day. She used to have soft stool, creamy then diarrhea when I increase her canned before.
    I added in a type of dried Chinese yam stick to her meal. Do you have a Chinese herbal shop around. This is called. "y-Shan" . A very common ingredient that sometimes we put in our soup. You may find it in Chinese supermarket too. It is dried whitish chicken filet like stick. I can send you some if you don't have it around.
    It had helped Rosy to control her sensitive intestine.

28. Ann & Scatcats

Update on Simba

Now after finishing the 15 days óf Flagyl antibiotics, only a day or two passed and the diarreha has come back.

This is really an enigma, the Prednisolon cortison helped and the Flagyl help. It seems like he should be on any of those two to keep the diarrhea away.

And I also wonder could this iBD? I am not familiar with IBD.

29. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ohhhh poor Simba. I dont know enough to give advice but I'm sending prayers for Simba.
    jeanne

30. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

My Latte had IBD. She was more affected with vomiting than diarreha. She also took prednisolone. When she became diabetic from it, we stopped. Her IBD symptoms came back in a terrible way, so we restarted and remained on it the rest of her life.

You may want to talk with your vet about the possibility of IBD and using steroids again. Flagyl is another option people use (though Im not sure if it is long term???). If you have access to budesonide, that may be a better option to try as it often can be less problematic with BG's. Do you have access to sub q fluids at home? If Simba has a lot of diahrea, she may be getting dehydrated. This would be a good thing to talk about with your vet.

Have you had an ultrasound done? A u/s can not specifically diagnose IBD, but it can rule out other issues. You would need a biopsy for a definitive answer.

What type of food are you feeding? You may want to try a grain free, novel protein. Novel protein means a protein your cat has not been exposed to before. This is typically venison, duck, or rabbit. Sometimes just a change in diet can help tremendously. Beef is often a big culprit in exacerbating symptoms with IBD.

Here are some helpful websites with information on IBD - symptoms, diagnosis, etc

http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.html

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/ibd.html

http://manhattancats.com/Articles/IBD.htm

31. Ann & Scatcats

Thank you, Carolyn, that was very informative.

32. Ann & Scatcats

Update on Simba

He just vomitted blood.

First diarreha and blood in the poop, then now vomitting blood too.

33. carolynandlatte

Hi ann~

If my cat was doing this I would probably consider going to an er vet, if yours is not available. At the very least calling.

Can you do that?

What color was the blood?

34. Ann & Scatcats

It was light red, almost going on pink.

There is a snow storm here right now so can't go the the hospital. I will have to take him in tomorrow as emergency.

Wonder if pepcid helps or makes it worse, if it is a stomach ulcer?

35. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sever IBD, or ulcers could cause pink/red blood if ocurring close to the orifice. Pepcid AC (1/4 of 10 mg tablet) up to twice a day, may help if it is an ulcer/high acid problem.

Black tarry, stool or vomit which looks more like coffee grounds is usually from farther inward.

36. carolynandlatte

I hope things are going ok and you can get Simba to the vet asap tomorrow.

Regarding the pepcid...I might call the ER and ask. Without knowing what is going on, if your vet has not already prescribed it, I think it is best to just let it go for the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.