Simba newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simba the ging, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simba the ging

Simba the ging Member

Hi everyone, my furbaby Simba was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus on Saturday - I was shocked, sad and very angry at first. But after reading some of the amazing info on this site I'm starting to feel a bit better about his diagnosis, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still freaking out... so far, he's taking his insulin well but I always worry I'm doing it wrong or hurting him :( I would love any advice or tips on how you all dealt with the intial diagnosis and how the first 2 weeks went before doing the BGC at your vet. Thanks all xx

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome. Lots of great information here to help you deal with Simba's dx and treatment. I suggest you return to the Home page and read the Getting Started and Education sections to begin with. Please post on the Main (Health) forum to get more responses to your concerns and questions, as this Intro forum is more like a welcome mat just to say your first hello. We can help you figure out what's next. :cat:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Kraft

Kraft New Member

Hey! My cat was diagnosed October 16th... but it feels just like yesterday.
    I was completely upset about my cat's diagnoses. She had a full blood test to make sure she didn't have FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus). Thankfully the tests came back negative on that, but unfortunately she did have diabetes.
    The first weeks were rough for me and my diabetic cat. I was so nervous and shaky when giving her the insulin. She did not like to be held down and would wiggle whenever I injected the needle. She never cried or hissed, but she did growl once. She is a good kitty and pretty easy going (my other cat not so much!).
    You will get better! It takes some practice, and I'm still a bit unsure sometimes when giving insulin because I'm scared to poke her too far down (we give it to her in the neck and around the shoulders for now). You'll get quicker and it will be easier to give your kitty insulin as the weeks go on, so don't get too discouraged.
    Because my kitty doesn't like being held when it's needle time, I've took it upon myself to place her in my room where it's quiet and I can lay her down and give it to her. I was really surprised when she didn't protest against it.
    Find what is comfortable for Simba and what is comfortable for you. I can't tell you how many videos and articles I've looked at for giving insulin!
    You said he is taking it well so that should be reassuring you are doing it right!

Her first BGC was with the vet and she was still high so we upped the insulin to 2 units twice a day. Her second BGC was still a bit high, but not as much and the vet suggested going up to 3 unit. I will have to do the BGC at home next week (I've already taken her levels on my own so I'm sure I'll be fine).
    Best of luck in the follow weeks, it's pretty scary but you'll feel proud as you get more practice, I know I did.

Simba the ging likes this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Welcome hugs to you! :bighug:

It can feel a bit overwhelming at first. But the good news is that diabetes is a treatable condition. And many diabetic cats will live as long and as happily as non-diabetics.
    Furthermore, quite a number of diabetic cats will go into remission from their diabetes and be able to have their blood glucose diet-controlled, temporarily or permanently.

The three keys to optimal diabetes management are, 1. Hometesting of cat's blood glucose, 2. Insulin (longer-lasting insulins tend to have better outcomes and are easier to work with), and 3. Diet (wet foods with less than 10% calories from carbs).
    Note: Once a cat is on insulin it's important to only switch to lower carb diet IF you can test/monitor the blood glucose at home and can reduce the insulin dose as necessary so as to avoid hypoglycemia.

When managing diabetes 'knowledge is power', so do read any relevant info you find on this forum, and ask any questions you want to on the main health forum.

Welcome aboard!

Eliz

Simba the ging and Idjit's mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.