Single protein source low carb food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dragonfly229, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonfly229

Dragonfly229 Member

Linus and I hung out here quite a bit in the early days, he is doing well and life has been crazy, so I haven't been around that often. I have a question now, I know that I could do some research, but I thought maybe some of you could answer this question.

Linus was vomiting - was about 2-3 times a week, then every other day, then every day. I took him in yesterday, the vet suspects food allergy, probably chicken. I have been feeding Merrick for the whole time he's been diabetic - I looked at all my labels and every one contains chicken. She gave me some Hills d/d, which is not low carb, but single protein (duck). Since yesterday, he hasn't vomited at all that I'm aware of. His BG is up to 300 at shot time - which is about 100 points higher than usual. I haven't increased his insulin yet because I want to see what his numbers do for a few days, and also want to find some lower carb food ASAP.

He does show white blood cells in his urine, so is on an antibiotic, and another test she ran on his urine did show changes in his kidneys. She said the urine test will show this much earlier than a blood test will, and it may be possible to monitor, or treat with drugs, to head off or delay kidney problems. I won't have the blood test results until next week, checking for thyroid issues, etc.

So in the short term, my question is if you know of one, would you tell me what low carb foods are single protein and have no chicken? I've always liked Merrick because of the quality and no byproducts, would like something similar - not a huge fan of Friskies. Also, he eats 1 1/2 to 2 large cans a day, so small cans are not my preference. In the meantime, I'm off to Petco with my list to squint at ingredient lists :)

Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You may find a few with venison, buffalo, or duck for novel proteins; they may not be low carb.

Have you considered making your own? Cat Info has a recipe for raw, and some veterinary schools do custom diet recipes for cooked meals, for a fee, of course. Ohio State Veterinary School does, for one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.