sirtuxofarkansas gives feed back.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sirtuxofarkansas, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirtuxofarkansas

sirtuxofarkansas New Member

just wanted to let you know that Chelsea is on 1 unit (sorry, 1cc is really quite a lot) of recombinant human insulin twice a day. She is starting to eat like she is hungry. Her treat, she likes the turkey baby food but not the chicken. As a result of the diabetes, Chelsea lost almost all of her teeth. Is this common? She is also extremely thin, I can count her spinal bones. We have a good vet who has a lot of cats (and dogs) who are diabetic so can ask a lot of questions. Giving the shots were not bad having given them in the past. I just needed to remind myself SubQ versus ID. I am going to board Chelsea this July 4th (the vet. clinic is having other animals who are also diabetic) so that I can visit my mother (who is also a diabetic). Lots of repetition in this post. TC :mrgreen:

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

1 cc - are you sure you don't mean 1 unit? As 1 cc is a lot of insulin!

And which insulin is this that you are using?

Are you home testing? Do you know how?

What other foods are you feeding her?

3. sirtuxofarkansas

sirtuxofarkansas New Member

1 cc - are you sure you don't mean 1 unit? As 1 cc is a lot of insulin!

Yes, changed my post. Thank you.

And which insulin is this that you are using?

This is the insulin that they give humans. It has the same chemical chain as cat insulin so no problem. Recombinant means that it is synthetic (grown in E. coli and purified).

Are you home testing? Do you know how?

Not yet, on the home testing. The vet is doing the Alpha test at the lab 2 times a week. I have watched videos and they will watch me the first time to make sure that I am correct.

What other foods are you feeding her?

Very picky eater. She likes the wet food from the vet (we mix it with water so that it is easier for her to eat). No dry though it is out (we have other cats). She likes the turkey baby food (our vet recommended this as a treat). TC :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Still would like a little more information on the insulin you are using. You say you are using a recombinant insulin. However, there are quite a few of those human insulins and some behave differently. Example are: Lantus (insulin glargine), Levemir (Insulin detemir), Lilly's Humulin N (also other manufactures make this under different names such as Novolin N).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.