Skinny male civvies - what about do about feeding them?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kim 'n Shadow, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

Happy Friday Evening Beans - my male civvies are looking a litte skinny. Should they be eating the same LC food as my sugarkitty? I have some HC in my hypo kit, I hate to crack it open for the civvies in case the Shadow got into it. But what does everyone else do in this situation?

Dr. Lisa says not to let them lose but a certain amount a month and I'm afraid I might be underfeeding them. I have one civvie female that can stand to lose some weight and she likes the LC, so I'm not worried about her. My boys are my youngest two cats and still like to play "chase me, chase me," so I'm guessing they need more calories per day.

Can anyone share their solutions?

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Fresh boiled chicken :mrgreen: High protein, negligible carbs.

Somewhere, think it is on BD website, pics of under/right/and overweight cats. Young cats can look pretty lean.If you can see their ribs, that's when their really under and if their not cring for food all the time-another good sign.

Definitely go with high protein, not high carb, then if FD kitty gets in on the action won't affect her bg's.

Good luck :mrgreen:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just do not feed them too much boiled chicken since it is not a balanced diet.

4. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

high protein - very good advice. thank you. well, I can't feel their ribs but I can easily feel their spinous processes. all my gang have had to withdraw from dry food and I suppose they all could have needed to drop a few lbs. this site was helpful, once I knew what to look for. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Img ... 062148.jpg

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

That's just the diagram I was thinking of! I've saved it now for future reference-thanks.

You shoudn't need huge amounts of chicken and unless making a raw diet like Dr Lisa's never replace cat food with fresh.Cat food has taurine in-essential ingredient for cats.

Bit of history-when first started making cat food, taurine wasn't in it. ot of cats ill/dying until they worked out this is what was missing.

:D

6. tecwmn

tecwmn Member

I have two cats, Fin the diabetic who needs to lose weight (down 2lbs with 2lbs to go) and his skinny little sister C.C. I feed Fin on the floor and put C.C.'s food on top of the fridge so Fin doesn't bully her from her food.

For C.C., I feed her anything in the gravy variety of Fancy Feast. Whatever has the highest *calories* on the food lists here on FDMB is what C.C. usually gets and it has helped alot. If I am not going to be around to supervise the meal, then she gets the same thing that I feed Fin (high-protein, low-carb Fancy Feast).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.