Skipped dose this morning

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, May 2, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    My cat was missing this morning and didn't come back until 2:30PM so he missed his morning does at 9:00am. We tested his sugar and it was 268 he then ate and is now sleeping. We didn't give him the shot at 2:30 and instead were going to wait until 9:00pm to give him his nightly dose. However, I'm worried that his sugar may go really high before then. Was that the right thing to do? Or in the future should I give the shot even if it's much later than the normal morning dose? If his sugar goes really high before 9:00pm should we just ride it out?

Thank you so much!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the right thing to do. As hard as it is to wait, and even though they can go high, waiting is usually best. Even if you could change his entire shot schedule, messing with hormones is complicated, and better to be left consistent when you can.

Nudi may have a couple of not-quite-normal cycles after a skipped dose, so just hang tight and try not to worry about it. Or he might pick right up where he left off as if nothing happened. It's one of those ECID (every cat is different) things.

Do you have any more current data? I was about to comment on his recent numbers, but then realized those are from early April!

Yong & Maury GA and Sudio3 like this.
  3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you so much. I actually just checked his sugar for his nightly 9:00pm shot and it was only 269 and this was without getting his shot this morning? So I was thinking of skipping this dose too and seeing how he does in the morning? It’s so confusing and lately we’ve been having trouble getting his morning dose on time. Sometimes it’s gone as late as 11:30am instead of 9:00am. The reasons are varied for why this happens and I’m determined to doing better at getting his shot at 9;00am. One reason is sometimes he is let out in the morning and doesn’t come back in time for his shot which he usually does. If we don’t let him outside when he wants he gets very upset and will spray all over our house and then he will attack our other cat until we let him out. He likes his freedom and doesn’t like to be trapped inside. He usually stays close and comes back soon, usually in time for his shot but sometimes he doesn’t. Yes! I have updated numbers and will put them in tomorrow. Thank you so much!

4. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello, I have updated my numbers not sure they will do any good as they are kind of all over the place. But maybe they will be able to provide some insight? Also I found out my neighbor was giving Nudi Meow Mix wet food at one point during the numbers in April which she has now stopped. Today his numbers are still not high so I didn't give him his shot again morning again. I so hope I am doing the right thing here!

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Sudio and Nudi!
    It can be quite difficult when you have an explorer :woot:! One good thing about Prozinc is that it's more flexible so you usually have at least 1 hour before or after his shot time. Meaning you can administer it between 0800 - 1000 if you need to. As close to his 0900 shot time is still ideal :). However, I do not think you should be skipping just yet with Pre-shots 250ish - near 300. A non diabetic cat BG will range 68 - 150 on the AlphaTrak meters. And some will still go outside of that range because ECID :smuggrin:.
    If you think the numbers are a bit low for his 2.0U shot, then you can probably back down to 1.5U for a bit. Based on your data, I can't say continue the 2.0U or raise to 2.25U without seeing more mid cycle tests. Ask him nicely to come back for one day, every 2-3 hours for a curve :p.

Sudio3 and Djamila like this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh no! That was awfully sweet of her to be feeding him though! Glad you were able to figure out what was going on there!

I agree with Yong that these are not numbers you need to skip. The numbers you're seeing are still rather high, so Nudi needs some insulin support to stay safe and healthy. Reducing the dose is fine if you are anxious about it, but if you do that, really make sure to get a mid-cycle test to see what happens on the reduced dose so you'll know for the next time if you can give the full dose.

Sudio3 likes this.
  7. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Thank you so much! I'm sorry for the late reply. That is so good to know about the Prozinc having an hour before and an hour after. And also so good to know that the range of a non-diabetic cat on AlphaTrak is between 68-150! That is so helpful to know. So ideally do you know what range his BG level should be at right before his shot? So what I mean is, what BG reading before his shot would consider him regulated and at a good number, confirming that his insulin amount is where it needs to be? I have put him down to 1.5 for now and yes I will ask him nicely to come back for a 2-3 hour curve Lol! I hope to do this soon. Thank you for all your help. I so appreciate this group it has helped me and Nudi so much!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

ok thank you so much. I appreciate you confirming and your help!