SLGS Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by toomanycats, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

I have a couple of questions.... I realize I'm supposed to follow whichever method I'm using to a T, but some things are making that a little impossible this week...

1. Would it be OK for me to do Buzzy's glucose curve this Friday (5th day of starting dose)? There's no way for me to be home to do a proper every-2-hour curve Saturday or Sunday.

2. If I do the curve Friday, would I still not adjust til Sunday? I'm also anxious about making adjustments on Sundays or Mondays since I can't be home Tuesday - Thursday to test mid-day. I would feel better about doing curves on Fridays & adjusting on Saturdays so I can be home the first 3 days of the new dosage.... but that would have to mean adjusting this initial dose early....

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Do what fits your schedule best. SLGS Dosing protocol is not that inflexible that you could not do a curve on Fridays and make dosing changes on Saturdays.

After all, our cats are not diagnosed on the exact day to make waiting a week with the SLGS protocol for Lantus possible.
    If you do the curve on Friday, you could adjust on Saturday. No problem.

You reset the dose to 1U on Monday morning, 2/10/20 (because of that 84 PMPS test Sunday night 2/9/20)
    That would give you 5 days, 10 cycles on this 1 unit dose by Saturday morning. That should be plenty of time to let the lantus "depot" fill.

One of the "inflexible" parts of any of the dosing protocols, is reducing the dose if you cat is below a certain BG range. With lantus and SLGS, that number is 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L).

toomanycats likes this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Member

Thank you!

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

You can adjust things to fit your time table. You want to make things as convenient as possible. It's much easier to follow a plan that fits your needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.