sliding scale

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CCRider, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCRider

CCRider New Member

HI , My Mr George was diagnosed June 13. HE Was put on Vestal in 2 units every 12 hours. I'VE BEEN TESTING HIM before each dose. VTHE first vet refused to put him on a sliding scale ( I asked because I'm a retired Rn). Needless to say that after I got yelled at by one of her colleagues for requesting syringes that measure 1/2 units, I found another vet. I'm still not happy with this one because I think we are under treating him, but at least this vet listens to me. George is currently eating every 8 hours with a total of 3 grams carbs a day and a max calorie count of 250. He is a big boy weight down to 18.8lbs from a high of 19.2 lbs. I have been getting his glucose before each meal. Sometimes I can go for up to 5 days without giving insulin and other times I can't get his glucose below 180. Thanks in advance for any ideas . He is also getting cost quin twice a day along with tumeric and fish oil for his arthritis.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is helpful if you set up a signature with some basic info so that people will not ask you for the same info over and over and if you set up a spreadsheet with Mr George's test results and units given so those can be reviewed before any suggestions are given.

It is best that you post any questions you have on the Main Health Forum. They will get a lot more attention there since this is just an introduction forum. You will find a lot of nice, helpful, knowledgeable people here. :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

welcome, glad you found us!

What brand of food specifically are you feeding?

Once you have a lot of data it's easier to come up with sliding scales. Make sure the cat isn't eating for at least two hours prior to the preshot test. Vetsuline typically peeks around 4-6 hours after the shot, so you will want to get a mid cycle reading then. We have a great spreadsheet that makes it easier for us to check in on each other. It's made in Google Sheets and the link placed in the signature so that we can see updates as soon as they are made. Let me give you a link to that... if you could fill in some of that info for us it would be super helpful and let us advise you further.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

for specific dosing questions please post in the main health forum where more eyes will see it. :)

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome CCRider and MrGeorge! I'm a bit late to the welcoming party due to an injury :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.