Smiffy's progress (: Friday 29th April

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Looby & Smiffy, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

@Critter Mom @Elizabeth and Bertie and to all my other girls yesterday ... mananged to inject her last night and this morning with only a little bit of a hiss ... just didn't pinch as much skin ... was more mindful and just slid the needle in ..... after last night's shot she let me pet her as I usually do and was purring ... I have just done her morning shot and a bit of a grumble but no hiss and she has gone outside ... she was waiting for me in the bedroom for her food ... she just stared at in the bowl until I moved away to do something else and when I came back she knew what I was up to but she didn't run a way so much ... more petting today and I think I might have nailed it again ... have proved to her that it is not going to hurt I think now two times in a row ..... I feel a lot less stressed about it now ....... hope I can keep it up but I will still see how she is on it and talk to the Vet about the Caninsulin ... thanks girls .. think the coaching worked

2. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Well done, you are getting there Looby!
    Keep going, your kitty needs your help.
    Caninsulin needs to be kept in the fridge, way up, take it out the fridge 15-20 minutes before injection.
    Best regards
    Marlena

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Well done, Looby! :bighug:

It might be helpful also to set aside some time every day for a cuddle/grooming/playing session; some physical contact that doesn't involve being given an insulin shot. That may also help to restore her trust (as well as making her feel extra special. :cat: )

Eliz

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Excellent news, Looby! Well done, you, and well done, Smiffy!!!

[​IMG]

Mogs

Looby & Smiffy likes this.
  5. Carol and Rosie (Beaka)

Carol and Rosie (Beaka) Member

This is good news, well done to you both! Xx

Critter Mom and Looby & Smiffy like this.
  6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You're doing a great job, keep up the good work! Before you know it, this will just become part of your normal, every-day routine! You and Smiffy will be old hands at this in no time! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thank you ... Caninsulin unused cartridged HAVE to be kept in the fridge ... the Diabetic Nurse told me that like human insulin as long as I keep the pen in the thick bag at a constant room temperature it is OK so it is on the dining room table ....... that is what I was told!

8. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

@Critter Mom @Marlena
    Do that ...... am pleased until I saw a pile of what has to have been vomit with grass in it on the bathroom mat .... it may or not have been Smiffy - could have been Pasha ... I still up at 5am before I went to bed and Malcolm was up a couple of hours later so it must have happened between 5 and 7 which would have been about 2 or 3 hours before Smiffy's morning shot ..... it must have been sick because the litter tray has brand new litter in it and both cats would have used to the litter tray for poo ... it was not clear but had what looked like undigested biscuits in it and grass that could have been from the indoor grass tub or it could have been from outside .... Malcolm said that Pasha was eating grass early this morning when he let both cats out ...... have fussed Smiffy on the bed today - do at every opportunity that I can find .... not sure about the sick - could have been a regular furr ball ... she is OK now and was purring last night after her shot .....

9. Critter Mom

Even though I'm a complete ball of anxiety, one thing I wouldn't be worried about was a sick-up containing grass; doubly so during furball season! Goes with the territory. :) :rolleyes:

Mogs

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  10. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

How do you cope with your anxiety? I have just been up to see Smiffy and she was not in the mood for petting .. she is not really much of a lap cat like Pasha whom you can tickle and stroke and fiddle with her ears and any part of her body and she will not complain ... Smiffy has always been a touch the head only sort of cat ... doesn't even like to be brushed ... I think I am getting paranoid about her behaviour now .... she is and older cat too so she is bound to want to sleep more isn't she?

11. Critter Mom

My brain decided it would be a really good solution to inflict howling OCD on me. The more scared I get - or the more things that scare me - the more OCD behaviours I manifest.

It helps me to survive, but I wouldn't recommend it as a lifestyle choice. :(

Mogs

12. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

What is Mogs like?
    Smiffy is less like she was when she was a kitten because I have been SO ill with the anxiety and practically a zombie at one point (still heavily dosed but trying to get off the drugs now) that she has not had the attention that she used to have .... oh here she is .. went upstairs to give her a treat and a cuddle and she is up which is a good sign :)

13. Critter Mom

If you haven't already come across it you need to learn about the Ashton protocol for benzo withdrawal. Research it online.

Mogs

14. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I am supposed to have OCD too ... I am a Virgo and like things to be just so - I am going through therapy at the moment to try to get rid of some of my rituals ... I am not really toooo bad ... it must be a nightmare to have full on OCD ..... I saw a lovely t-shirt the other day that I would love to have ... it had OCD in large letter on it and the most beatiful pictures of cats all over it and the writing 'Obssessive Cat Disorder' .. or something like that :)

Are you on Facebook? If you are it would be great to be friends ... Elizabeth and Bertie are there so I chat to her there .... if you want to find me I am Lucille Smith living in London and went to Godalming Grammar School .... where do you live? xx

15. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

You're doing great. I just have a thought....are you making sure that the needle goes in with bevel facing up. I gave shots for weeks before someone pointed this out to me. :(:bighug:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/injections.htm

16. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I am under the supervision of a private Psychiatrist now that I have to keep bothering to help me with the last few stages of my withdrawal .... first my GP put me on 30mg Diazepam for reasons can't touch on here but I wish I would have had the sense to say no ...... The year before last I asked him to get me off them but he said that he would only do that if I gave up smoking!!!!!!! I was already down to 6 per day so I gave up as I was already intending to and then he started the withdrawal but too quickly according to one of his colleague GPs - the two of them had a row over it but the second of the GPs got his way and I think he referred to the very protocal you are talking about ..... I came down much more slowly then got stuck on 7mg and the GP lost interest so now I have this private person who as got me down to 5.5mg a day ... but I am on other drugs too ... should we be talking about this in a converstation - is that the difference between thread and conversation? I will stop xxx

17. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

It's a Caninsulin pen so I don't think there is a bevel side - somebody sent me a diagram yesterday here - might have been you? But I looked last night and the needle just looks the same all along it ...

Jamye and Fred likes this.
  18. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I use routines to survive too but not as bad as you ... it must be terrible ..... your cat or cats must bring some comfort to you ... I know now that Smiffy is Diabetic, I have had to change some of the things I do and I have had to wake up a bit .... she is lying next to me now bless her on the floor .... she would normally want to go out though but since she is not drinking so much now she doesn't ask to go out to drink out of the dirty mugs outside the back door now ...

19. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I just had a look at the site .. it is a bit too much for me to take in but I will keep it bookmarked for future reference .. seems the private sector in the UK is not much better than the advice and monitoring I got from the pubic sector but I DO have a good therapist at last ... how about you?

20. Critter Mom

It's like having a tyrant living in one's head 24/7.

No, and wild horses couldn't drag me there.

Mogs

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Reason for edit: Sp.
  21. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

@Elizabeth and Bertie @Critter Mom @Marlena @D
    Oh really .... OK .... I understand it is not for everybody .... I like the contact with the outside world and photos and conversations with friends that live a long way away or just some of my friends that I don't see anymore but keep in touch with them ....... how is Mogs? I can't remember - do you have lots of cats?

22. Critter Mom

I'm not comfortable with this type of discussion, Looby.

Mogs

23. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I am sorry, thought you wanted to chat a bit ....... I should have sent you a private message .... lots of love and hugs to you ..... by the way our cats look identicle! How old is your cat?

24. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I feel really really bad now .... so sorry

25. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Can you forgive me? xxx

26. Critter Mom

Saoirse turned 16 at the beginning of this month.

Mogs

27. Critter Mom

28. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

What an unusual name ...... Doing well for 16

29. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

For some reason I can't address this to specific people that are supporting me here ... @elizabeth & Bertie?!!! I have managed to get Smiffy's injections in now for three days .. yesterday she was really bright but today she is really lazy .... I am paranoid about her behaviour ... she is fine but it is so worrying .. she is probably just having as I say a lazy day ...

30. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Why doesn't Looby&Smiffy appear beneath the photo but appear under something that I post @elizabeth & Bertie ... this site is not working right for me - don't know why?

31. Elizabeth and Bertie

@Looby,
    The name under the pic of Smiffy is the 'user name' you registered with , but the name at the bottom of your posts is your 'signature', which you can edit and add all sorts of other relevant info to; for example, what insulin you're using, and what dose, etc. (Have a look at my signature and you'll see what I mean).

You tried to tag me but it didn't work because you got my 'user name' a smidge wrong; it's 'Elizabeth and Bertie'. :)

Eliz

32. Elizabeth and Bertie

@Looby ,
    If you'd like to change your 'user name' to 'Looby&Smiffy' you can do that, and then that will appear under your pic of Smiffy.

To change your user name you do this:
    If you hover your mouse over your user name on the top right of this page a menu will come up. Click on 'Personal Details'.
    When that box opens scroll down the list of options on the left hand side. Right at the bottom you'll find 'Advanced Options', 'Change User Name'. And if you click on that you can change your name. Remember to click 'save' afterwards. :)

33. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Think that's done!

34. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yes! Almost....
    There's a typo in Smiffy's name. (But at least now you know how to correct it.....;))
    :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I have to wait 89 days before I can change it !!!!
    Oh well - it doesn't affect the way you say her name .... she is really chopper and friendly this morning and was last night right up until 4.30 in the morning @Critter Mom ... not it is not coming up with her icon ... don't know what is wrong with my computer ....

xxxxLooooby

36. Critter Mom

Did her behaviour change at 04:30? If yes, how long was it after the insulin dose was given.

Mogs

37. Critter Mom

Also, if you have not yet printed out the hypo guide please do it now. Keep reading and re-reading the signs to look for and bear in mind that every cat is different: Smiffy may have other signals only you can pick up on because you are with her every day. Because you're not currently home testing it is even more important for you to be very familiar with what to look out for and what to do if you even get a whiff that Smiffy may be running low. Even with the list there is no guarantee that your cat will display any symptoms at all if she runs low. This is why I have strongly recommended you ring your vet to arrange some sort of check on her BG numbers as a matter of urgency.

Hypo guide
    - PRINT THIS OUT and keep it somewhere that you can grab it quickly and easily - in either a potential or actual emergency.

Hypo toolkit

Mogs

38. Elizabeth and Bertie

Absolutely.

The list in the Hypo doc is very helpful but is by no means exhaustive.
    It gives many of the 'typical' symptoms, but a cat may well show symptoms that aren't on the list. Not all cats are 'typical'... (For example, some owners have come home to find their cats just sitting staring into the corner of a room or a cupboard. And my own cat will swat at the air in front of him.)

Some cats show symptoms early on if the blood glucose is dropping low. A cat may suddenly get very hungry, for example.
    But some cats show no symptoms at all until a hypo is advanced...
    There was a UK'er on this forum a few years back who was sitting with her cat on the sofa, watching TV. The cat seemed absolutely fine. But then it fell off the sofa and had a hypoglycemic seizure. (....Thankfully, the caregiver took swift action to give sugar to the cat, and it made a full recovery (and in fact went into remission soon afterwards.))

Eliz

Looby & Smiffy and Critter Mom like this.
  39. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

40. Elizabeth and Bertie

@Looby & Smiify

Looby, I'm sorry to hear you say that you're "getting paranoid" about Smiffy.
    I think we all fret, to some degree or other, about how our kitties are doing; and it can be easy, especially at first, to feel overwhelmed by it all. But there is still much to be positive about....

Your Smiffy is SO much more than just her diabetes diagnosis. She's still exactly the same fun and loving kitty that she was before this diagnosis became part of the picture....

Chin up, sweetie! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz

41. Critter Mom

There is no guarantee that a cat in low numbers will look for food. There is no guarantee it will show any symptoms at all.

That's good news but it still doesn't preclude the possibility that she may have gone low mid-cycle yesterday. Twice you thought it wise to mention here that Smiffy was displaying unusual aggression. In spite of the paranoia you still know your cat very well. If you thought it unusual enough to ask here about the aggression then perhaps you should listen to the gut instinct that prompted you to post about it and at the very least alert your vet about this odd behaviour. Even the very positive signs that you're seeing today may be indicative of Smiffy running in lower, healthier numbers and that's yet another reason for my strongly recommending to you that you contact your vet to determine what Smiffy's blood glucose levels are doing; sooner rather than later.

FWIW the most helpful thing you can do to allay your feelings of paranoia is to just bite the bullet and do all you can to learn to home test. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh (that is not my intention) but I am speaking from personal experience when I say it is far and away the best antidote to the inevitable anxiety that accompanies treatment of a diabetic cat with insulin.

Mogs

42. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I know and thank you but there is something that I need to talk to you about so I am going to send you a message on Facebook ...... I was not paranoid until I posted here that I wondered if aggression was a personality change that owners might experience when they give them insulin ... my husband reminded me later that she has never liked to be picked up and I remember now that when she was quite young she dislocated her back knee and had to have cage rest for about six weeks ... during that time she had numerous trips to the Vet and she had to stay there for a week whilst we went on holiday ..... and also not only does she not like the Vet but she had a bad experience with the Cattery down the road (never used them again) so she still thinks that when we pick her up she is either going to the Vet or to the Cattery even though we have a brilliant cattery now for the girls to go to and have used them for years ........ I am worrying about nothing here ... I picked her up and she hissed at me and I am not suprised as she is not used to it and lately picking her up means going to the Vet and another needle ....... will write to you on Facebook .... my other cat Pasha who is much younger is also much more lazy than she used to be and she was a real live wire so I have to put things into perspective ..... I kind of want to withdraw my thread that I posted about personality change now .. Smiffy is fine ... she is not behaving as if she is ill in the slightest now .... I have just picked her up to see how she is and she wasn't bothered at all this time - typical!!! xxxx

43. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

My paraoia is my care for Smiffy ... I have explained a bit more in a post to Elizabeth below if you want to read it .. . Smiffy is fine ... please read my reply to Elizabeth .. thank you for your concern - she is fine ..... My other cat Pasha is now 9 and even though she used to be really active and hunting and going for fairly long walks is now much quieter because she is older and there is nothing wrong with her so I am being over cautious I would say ..... I am all prepared if something is really amiss .... I have been concerned twice as you say and both times she proved to me that there was no need for concern ... the only time I had cause for concern was when I was not getting the needles in and she almost went back to how she was before we started the insulin but now that I am getting the needle in and she is not minding it so much fingers crossed that will continue ...

44. Elizabeth and Bertie

Looby, do send me a private message.
    If you post on my timeline the whole world can see that.... ;)

Eliz

45. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I have just sent you a message on Facebook or rather a couple of messages (every time you press return for a paragraph it sends off a message so each messages is a paragraph!) .... hope to hear from you if you are not too busy

46. Critter Mom

All members visiting your threads can read all the messages you post, Looby.

Any suggestions I've posted on your threads have been made in good faith and are based on:

1. what I have learned from treating my own cat for diabetes and what I have learned from the other FDMB members who have kindly and generously shared their knowledge and experience over the last two years.

2. what I would do if it were my cat in your situation in order to keep her safe - particularly when using such a harsh insulin as Caninsulin.

I hope that you will get over the current difficulties you have with home testing; it really is the best way to keep Smiffy safe - and it would offer her a far better chance of reaching remission.

I feel that there isn't anything more I can do at this time to try to help you. I wish you and Smiffy the very best.

Mogs

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  47. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thanks so much ... I take in everything that you advise - believe me ... I hope this is not the end of our correspondance I really do .....

48. Critter Mom

As I said above, Looby, there is nothing more I can do so I won't be contributing further to your threads. Again, I wish you and Smiffy the best.

Mogs

49. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Just to add my own two cents worth in here. Home testing when using a powerful hormone such as insulin is definitely necessary. Some kitties can go along very nicely with no problems then out of the blue they can hit a hypo number. Without testing on a regular basis there is no way to know if/when that will happen.

I am using Levemir which is a much gentler, slower acting insulin than Caninsulin/Vetsulin. My Maxie is my second FD kitty and was diagnosed less than 2 months ago, but I have a fair deal of experience from treating her brother Tuxie for the last 17 months (he has other health concerns and will never be properly regulated)

I use the AT2 pet meter which reads higher than a human meter. Just three days ago Maxie started off with a preshot of 21.6 ( 367 US) At +3 she was 46... CORRECTION SHOULD BE 4.6( 83 US) and I started giving HC because of how fast she was dropping. She continued dropping and I continued giving HC food and syrup. She ended up with a low of 1.8 ( 32 US) at +6 . I was finally able to bring her numbers up, but if I had not been able to I was preparing to take her to the ER. Never once did she display any unusual behaviour that would have alerted me to the low numbers. If I had not been testing and able to bring the numbers up at home, there is a strong possibility she could have dropped even further and it could have become a critical situation.

A critical hypo event can cause brain damage or worse:

"Hypoglycemia is what every diabetic fears -- very low blood glucose. Since the brain requires glucose for fuel at every second, it's possible to induce coma, seizures,brain damage[1][2][3] and death by letting blood glucose drop too low. Because the brain is almost totally dependent on glucose to make use of oxygen[4], it is somewhat like having severe breathing problems. Though the causes and mechanisms are different, in both cases the brain does not have enough oxygen, and similar symptoms and problems can occur. It is caused by giving too much insulin for the body's current needs."

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Hypoglycemia

The members on here who strongly encourage home-testing have seen cases where a kitty has ended up in the ER for several days at a very expensive cost and unfortunately there have been some that even with critical ER care the kitty has died. Believe me if I could just give shots twice a day and not have to worry, I certainly would not be so adamant about home-testing, but the realities of not home testing can be very harsh. No one on here is trying to scare anyone, only to give them the proper tools to do the best possible for their kitties. Everyone here cares about all the member's kitties...each and every one. :bighug:

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  50. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thanks for all this information ..... I realise how dangerous hypoglycaemia is for Smiffy and I am terrified of the possibility it could happen and am ready to act if I see any signs and understand I can't be sure of her BG without home testing which is why when I see the Vet on Friday with her diary of clinical signs I want to talk to him about whether Caninsulin is suitable for her and get him to show me how to use the glucometer I have ..... I wouldn't be able to have the strength of my convictions about this on Friday were it not for you girls especially Mogs and Elizabeth & Bertie .....

I've had one day where I was concerned that Smiffy might be low in BS and you girls talked me through it and it was a false alarm and one day when Smiffy was a bit aggressive with me so I posted the inquiry as to whether the insulin supplement might have changed her personality a bit but she settled down and as my husband said she has never liked to be picked up but I just wanted to give her s big cuddle! I have noted the fact that see can be bad tempered in her diary which as you girls have said may also be because she doesn't like the Caninsulin which might not have occurred to me otherwise ... We're it not for this board I wouldn't have known there were other types and as a result of that have already expressed an interest to my Vet in changing to ProZinc which is up for discussion on Friday.

Now that she Smiffy is getting used to the insulin shot (not relaxed yet about it), I can almost envisage her tolerating a prick for testing her BG which was not the case a few days ago ..... I really hope she will let me do it as I want to be able to home test asap ...... I have everything ready to treat her if she is low and would actually call the Vet straight away .....

Sorry spelling and grammar is appalling because l am half asleep here - it's 4am ... Also my iPad takes over sometimes .....

The Vet used the AT kit so I'm hoping we can get one from the surgery as I have just got the AccuChek meter .....

You describe an episode 3 days ago with your cat ... Do you mean three hours after the preshot by 'at +3'?

Do mean therefore you gave Maxie her shot but then three hours later she was 4.6 not 46 as you have typed - sorry just want to be clear? You started giving her high carbs HC? Because there was too much of a drop within 3 hours of her shot? 4.6 is within normal range under normal circumstances isn't it?

So first course of action was HCs and then as she was dropping further you introduced syrup too but still she was dropping until 6 hours after shot down to 1.8 so you contained with more syrup AND HC? At what reading were you happy not to have to take her for ER and what does that mean? Emergency what?

If she is on a more gentle insulin than Caninsulin, why did her BG drop so quickly within 3 hours of you administering it?

Hope these are not too many questions!!! I thought action was not necessary unless numbers are below 3.3? The normal range I thought is 2.7 - 7.2 ......

I can learn from your example wit Maxie if I fully understand it ...... I think you meant 4.6 not 46 didn't you?

Thanks xxxx

51. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I sorry you feel that way .....wish you all the best too xxx Looby

52. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Looby, you are asking some valid questions here. Yes, Mary Ann meant 4.6 not 46 (just a typo) - do you understand how the US uses a different "scale" to the UK and rest of the world? ie multiply by 18 to translate one of "our" numbers for the benefit of the US readers, and divide "their numbers" by 18 to translate it to the figure we use. And yes, +3, for example, followed by a number is the BG reading three hours (for example) after insulin was given. These are the very basic issues you need to get your head round - recording BGs accurately at each stage of the insulin cycle is the only way you will know how the insulin is working and if it's as expected or is too low for comfort, etc etc.

I strongly recommend that you read other members' threads on this forum so you will become familiar with this sort of thing. Other members may have similar issues to you and their experiences and the responses to their threads may well help you a great deal too. As you know, the vast majority of people here are in the US and their responses are exactly the same as those from any of us in the UK... There are only a tiny handful of us here these days and we are by no means able to be here 24/7... Work, family commitments, personal emergencies, holidays etc mean that there may be not only hours on end but days on end when we aren't able to spend time here, so it is well worth acquainting yourself with overseas members - they are incredibly helpful.

Good luck with the meter this week.

Diana

53. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Is there one place that will tell me when I am supposed to home test her , when the numbers are too loo .... I understand now that the same low numbers on insulin are worring but are not worrying if the cat is off insulin so Maxie for example would have been OK at 4.6 if she was not on insulin so her owner would have tested her but not taken any action ..... Initially I thought I was to take action only if her BG was lower than 2.2 but that is not the case it seems ....... If I take a pre-shot reading of 4.6 I wouldn't give insulin but would I take action like give her higher carb food? Where are the boundries?

I give her the Caninsulin when she is three quarters her way through her food and she is still a littel anxious to eat as she knows there is a shot coming but doen't run away now so I would find it nigh on impossible to take a BG before I gave her her food ....... I am so dopey in the morning from the drugs that I am on as well .............. I remember somebody saying test, feed, shoot (or not shoot) ..... so if you test before you shoot and the BG is low, then you would give her maybe honey but then followed by higher carb food or do the food first .... I know if it was very low then you would HAVE to do the honey first? Is there one place where I can find a short clear guide to all of this? Things are sinking in from here and there ad from the refereneces that @Elizabeth and Bertie has given me ....

Just given Smiffy her shot and she just moaned a bit ... still have to feed her two steps up the stairs from her normal eating place though!

Thanks for the clarification .......... perhaps you could direct me to the next stage of understanding if there is such a document

54. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Looby,

No, there isn't a single document that covers all of the above, but do have a read through of the Caninsulin/Vetsulin user guide which has quite a lot of helpful info.
    Vetsulin/Caninsulin user guide

As a general rule, for those new to dealing with diabetes (and new to hometesting) we recommend that NO insulin is given if the blood glucose at the time of the shot is below 11 (200).
    That's just until the caregiver has got comfortable with hometesting, and has gathered some data to show how the insulin is working in the cat's system.

If the number is too low to shoot, you can either skip the shot completely, or wait without feeding for a little while to see if the blood glucose rises on it's own to a shootable level.
    Later on, when you've learned a bit about how the insulin is working in your cat's body, you might also decide to give the shot but to give a reduced or 'token' amount.
    Ultimately whether you give the shot or not is your decision. You're the one holding the syringe.

Regarding preshot tests: I crumble a few freeze dried treats for Bertie and test him while he's munching on those. These seem to have no impact on his blood glucose. This might work for you, too..?

Caninsulin usually does 'most of it's stuff' in the first 5 hours after the insulin shot, after which the blood glucose will rise.
    A cat may see the lowest number of the cycle at around 4 - 5 hours after the insulin shot. But some cats will have the lowest number a bit earlier than this, and some may have the lowest number a bit later.

It can be helpful to test the blood glucose during the first hours of the cycle to see how low the blood glucose is dropping, and also how fast the blood glucose is dropping. If it is dropping too low or too fast then giving food can help to slow down the drop and/or to reduce the amount of the drop.

The Caninsulin user guide suggests that, in most cases, the aim should be to not let the blood glucose drop below 5.6 (100) at the 'peak' of the cycle.
    So, if you see a '5.6' earlier in the cycle, and there is still some time to go until the peak (lowest number), you may need to give food (or glucose if there's a very steep drop) to raise the blood glucose level, or to stop it from dropping any further.
    That '5.6' is a perfectly safe number, but aiming to not go below that gives some 'buffer of safety'.

Hoping this helps.

Eliz

55. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Others have already explained some of your questions. Sorry the 46 mmol/L should have been 4.6 mmol/L.

Yes the 4.6 is in a normal range but because she is on insulin and there was such a fast drop, especially when she is on a gentler, long acting insulin such as Levemir, that was a warning sign. I use the AlphaTrak2 meter which gives higher readings than a human meter. According to the AlphaTrak manual normal ranges are 4.0-9 for a kitty on insulin. Because my type of insulin usually has the low point (nadir) around 6 hours after the shot, I knew the glucose levels would be continuing to drop further. That was why I started with high carb food, which still did not keep the numbers from dropping further, so I added in syrup as well.

Because I use a pet meterI wanted to make sure Maxie's numbers stayed higher than 3.8 (68 US). On a human meter that would have been 2.8 (50US). With Caninsulin/Vetsulin these "take action" numbers would have been even higher since those insulins bring glucose down much quicker. If I had not been able to bring the numbers up with what I was doing then I would have taken her to the Emergency (ER). Not all kitties show signs of a hypo but when the numbers get too low and can't be brought up, the possibility of a kitty going into a serious hypo is more possible and as I explained in my other post a serious hypo can be deadly.

Even on the gentler insulins the glucose levels can drop. Because insulin is a hormone it can sometimes have different reactions. A dose that has been working fine for days or weeks can still cause glucose to drop too low. That is why home testing is important. A random test done at the vets office cannot tell what is happening on a day to day basis and even a glucose curve done at the vets will not always be accurate, especially if it is done on a day when the kitty is "bouncing". As well many kitties are prone to stress when at the vets office which can show higher numbers.

56. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

57. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Looby,
    The peak (lowest blood glucose number) will depend on the individual cat's response to insulin.

You may well see the lowest point at around 4 hours after the insulin shot. This is quite common. Or it may be a bit earlier or later. I've seen a few cats that have had the lowest point at 4.5 or 5 hours after the shot. And there is also a cat here who had the lowest point at just 3 hours after the shot.
    This is something you will find out by testing Smiffy's blood glucose. Doing a 'curve' can help to determine when the peak of the insulin cycle is.
    But be aware that the peak isn't necessarily a permanent fixed point, it can move around a little bit... :rolleyes:

Eliz

58. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Yes I understand the readings are on a different scale in the States .... I have just read a good response by Elizabeth but I need to know how I find out what and when Smiffy's 'peak' (lowest number) is in her cycle .... I am guessing I would have to test her throughout the day one day and draw a curve for her .... I am learning a lot here ... maybe it would also be useful for me as Elizabeth says to go back to the Caninsulin Guide and read it again .... thanks for your help and support .....

59. Diana&Tom

Yes, Looby, it all comes down to being able to test Smiffy's BG at ANY point in the cycle. That's the ONLY way you'll have the information you need to treat effectively and minimise the risk of hypo.

Diana

Critter Mom likes this.
  60. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Is the Nadir the same thing as the 'peak' of the cycle ie the lowest number of a cycle? @Elizabeth and Bertie can you answer that as you are about? I understand exactly what you mean Tuxedo Mom :)

61. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Is the 'peak' the same thing as the 'Nadir"?

62. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yes!
    It's the insulin 'peak' (strongest effect), and the blood glucose 'nadir' (lowest number).

63. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I have read the notes on Caninsulin ..... all the normal ranges are different ..... in British numbers I mean ... my Vet says normal is between 5 and 8, you say 2.7 - 7.2 and the paper here that you referenced for me gives another number so it is a bit confusing .... I will take your numbers to be the normal range I think as they are the average between the two ...... have just read the bumph that comes with the Caninsulin pen again and there is NO information about home testing or the cycle - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - just says to expect frequent visits to the Vet initially! I wonder if they are tied up financially! They did though give a specific quantity recommendation for the amount of glucose syrup to give a cat depending on their weight but the Vetenary nurse I saw just said rub Smiffy's gums with honey - she didn't say how much - do you think it matters how much? I would try to feed her some higher carb food first (which I only have in biscuit form if that matters) .. I have the gravy one that you suggested - can't remember now why the gravy from a tin of gourmet gold is good for her if she is hypo - is that high carb the gravy? I am going to read a bit more ......... have lots to discuss with the Vet!!!

64. Diana&Tom

It's true that it is not the perceived 'norm' for care-givers to test their cats' BGs at home, and it's not something that vets - other than the really enlightened kind - seem to even suggest. There seems to be an unspoken assumption that owners would simply not want to do so or not be able to do so. We on FDMB say RUBBISH (in polite mode ;-) ) The fact is though that there is absolutely nothing stopping us testing our cats in order for us to treat them so much more precisely. Knowledge is power. We may be in the minority but who cares. The bottom line is that our diabetic cats will probably have a longer and healthier life if we home-test their BGs effectively.

Most foods in gravy are higher-carb because there are sugars in the gravy.

Diana

65. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

That's good I am well stocked in Gourmet Gold food in gravy ... just little tins so perfect ...... I also have some clear honey so all I need to know for the moment is how to use the meter that I bouht which is the AccuChek Avviva ... but I am hoping that the Vet may have a Alphatrak meter in stock which is what he used on Smiffy last time we were with him ...the click of that meter was much quieter than the one I have ....

66. Alexi

Alexi Member

@Looby & Smiify please read the last post of this thread that you started a few days ago. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/smiffys-personality-changed.157133/ where i gave some information you will find useful around getting started and how to take blood from the paws if you can't do the ear testing. You also need to set up a spreadsheet and put the link to your signature. The spreadsheet is colour coded to help you understand the numbers and get some idea of what they mean, don't get too hung up on the actual numbers yet. For the AccuCheck meter you need the world spreadsheet for human meters and select the tab mmol/l for entering the numbers. If you are struggling with the spreadsheet someone can help you set it up. You just need to ask.

67. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I will have a look tomorrow - thanks Alexi - sorry I missed your post first time round xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.