Smokey and new vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tbarry, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

We just got home! Our appointment was at 11:30, New vet spent over an hour and a half with us. Recommended 1 unit Lantus 2× a day. He also wants us to change his food to pro plan DM. We have already changed him to FF and friskies pate. Smokeys b/g was 500+. At 2:45 they gave him 1 unit Lantus. I advised the vet he hadn't eaten since 4:30 this morning. He said he wasn't worried because of how high his sugar was. When should I watch for hypoglycemia? And when will I be able not worry about it? I know I will not be able do b/g tonight. I have read not to change his diet right now, any thoughts? I'm shaking in my boots right now.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If his BG was over 500, you shouldn't have to worry about a hypo today. Also, if this was his first dose of Lantus, it usually takes 5-7 days before you get the full effect of the starting dose.

Not at all necessary. There's absolutely nothing special about the ingredients in "prescription" foods that treats or cures diabetes. If you look at the ingredients, they're actually pretty lousy. Fancy Feast Classics and Friskes are actually better for a lot less money.

Lantus needs to be given as close to every 12 hours as possible. Unless you're planning on shooting him again at 2:45am, I'd suggest waiting until tomorrow morning to shoot again at a time that will work for you so you can get on a shot schedule that's 12 hours apart.

1U is a pretty standard starting dose so at least it sounds like this vet has a better idea on how to treat Smokey! That's a plus!

Hang in there. We've all been where you are and understand how scary it can be, but you can do this! Take some deep breaths and spend some time petting Smokey and relax. We're all here for you!

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think this will be a worry today, given Smokey's high numbers.

Lantus has to be given every 12 hours. To change the shot time, you can move the shot back 15 minutes per 12-hour cycle for a total of 30 minutes per day OR 30 minutes one 12-hour cycle per day. So, getting to the preferred shot times may be difficult. You have a couple of options.

1. You can give a shot tonight at 1:45 am. Friday, you would give the "morning shot" at 1:45 pm, then the "evening" shot 30 minutes early at 1:15 am. Saturday, "morning shot" 1:15 pm, "evening shot" 30 minutes early at 12:45am. This option involves a lot of late nights.

2. You can skip tonight's shot and start shooting at your preferred shooting time in the morning.

Before a decision is made about this, I'd like to see what other experienced members have to say.

FF and Friskies is just fine. So is the DM pate. It is the only one that is low carb but there is nothing special about it except the price. If the vet insists, buy a couple of cans. Open one, try it and then return the others for a full refund. Just tell the office that Smokey will not eat it regularly enough or not al all.

Now is the time for you to set up a spreadsheet and a signature. We are fairly data driven here and if there are problems or questions, the spreadsheet is the first place we look. All the information is in one place for you, us, and the vet. In a crisis, we cannot take the time to search and scroll through a number of threads. If you need help setting up either, there are people here who can do it in minutes. Just holler.

Now is also the time to start testing. There is good information here
    also Video I made showing how to test your cat's blood sugar is an excellent learning tool.

Geez @Chris & China (GA) – you type really fast.

4. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Do you think you can get your hubby to help feed Smokey if he is still nervous? He needs to get something in him I think. I heard that Lantus reaches peak about 6 or 7 hours after a dose so I would think that would be the more/most dangerous time of worrying about hypo. Someone more experienced could answer that.
    Lantus supposedly is gentle and doesn’t hit fast and hard, so keep that in mind.
    Does the vet want you to give his second shot at 2:45am? Cause boo. Lol.
    Hang in there you are doing great. Sending hugs.

5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I would love to relax and give him some pets, but I'm to fat to fit under the bed with him! Lol. Joking aside thank you for being there.

6. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

He told me to wait until tomorrow morning and pick a time. How's Sidney doing?

SidneysMom likes this.
  7. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

8. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I gave him 1/2 can FF. And yes my husband had to take it to him. Smokey hates me now!

9. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

I'm very computer illiterate. My son in law said he will set it up for me.

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

To help win back Smokey, try giving him low carb treats such as freeze dried chicken or tuna flakes. When you start to home test these can be very helpful to get him to associate testing means getting a treat.

11. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Tried the freeze dried chicken today, he turned his nose up at it and walked away.. going to try an get something else tomorrow.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

does he like real chicken? Any pure protein is fine as a treat. China hated all the freeze dried treats that were really dry like the PureBites, but she loved real chicken so for a long time, I baked a piece for her, chopped it up and kept some in the fridge, some in the freezer.

Eventually I did find one treat she liked. Orijen Wild Boar freeze dried treats. They're a little different texture from the PureBites type.

Tbarry likes this.
  13. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

Our cats go nuts for Bonito fish flakes. Our dogs do, too, everybody has to get some or we risk losing fingers and toes. The stuff reeks. We call it Stinky Fish. Dump a small pile for each animal (we have 3 cats and 2 dogs) right on the kitchen floor, and in minutes the floor is licked clean for us, no need to wash it anymore (kidding!). But seriously, if your cat likes fish flavors, get some Stinky Fish flakes.

Tbarry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.